Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon, Canon & Digital Costs  (Read 1619 times)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
Nikon, Canon & Digital Costs
« on: December 10, 2002, 04:27:20 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi,

I am amazed by the answer of the Nikon sales rep. It sounds to me like an excuse.

I had the opportunity to go out to photograph some birds with an owner of Nikon equipment and I borrowed him a Canon Body as well a some lenses. He had just brought with him some normal as well as wide angle lenses for landscape and not birding.

While shooting the Birds he said he regrets having bought the Nikon because after seeing my lenses he said I do not get this from Nikon.

He had a 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM lens from me with an 2x extender. He was amazed about how good the IS was performing.[/font]
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Del Bomberger

Nikon, Canon & Digital Costs
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 08:34:01 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Just a couple of observations.  

The new full-frame Canon is apparently not commanding as much demand as anticipated.  The dealer here has two in the box, and on Ebay a U.S. dealer sold one for $800.00 less than list last night.  The other one I saw brought just under list.

The Nikon rep was in town for two days at a local dealer and I was there early to ask him when Nikon is going to "catch-up" to Canon and Kodak with a full-size CCD or CMOS or whatever.  He nearly came over the counter and later apologized.  

His answer is that the only thing that matters is "the glass".  It will be interesting to see if he maintains that line when they do release whatever they have in development at whatever price is finally settled upon.

Just my observation and I've personally been waiting for this point in time to make the switch back to 35mm, but I'm guessing that prices on this particular technology (thanks in part to Kodak) are going to get reasonable rather quickly.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up