Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom & Layered Files  (Read 2278 times)

dmsp

• http://davidsaxphoto.com
Lightroom & Layered Files
« on: June 10, 2009, 03:50:58 pm »

Hi

I just started using Lightroom recently.  Terrific program.  
For a specific client, I have many layered files that I keep on hand and I wanted to add them to a new catalog.  So as a trial, I imported some into LR and then exported them to a different folder.  These exported files are now flat.  Am I missing something with the import or export process?  Or is LR not able to maintain a layered file?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:32:01 pm »

Quote from: dmsp
Hi

I just started using Lightroom recently.  Terrific program.  
For a specific client, I have many layered files that I keep on hand and I wanted to add them to a new catalog.  So as a trial, I imported some into LR and then exported them to a different folder.  These exported files are now flat.  Am I missing something with the import or export process?  Or is LR not able to maintain a layered file?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave

Importing PSD files to LR will not destroy layers. But if you export, that does. If you want to use the original file, you can either choose edit/edit original, or right-click on the image and show in explorer. Not sure of the exact commands, but that should give an idea.

The background is that LR doesn't actually change the original file at all. It refers to it, and any edits you make are stored in a separate file, apart from the PSD/CR2/etc itself. That way you can always recover the original file, and you never make destructive edits.

dmsp

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:20:07 am »

Quote from: feppe
Importing PSD files to LR will not destroy layers. But if you export, that does. If you want to use the original file, you can either choose edit/edit original, or right-click on the image and show in explorer. Not sure of the exact commands, but that should give an idea.

The background is that LR doesn't actually change the original file at all. It refers to it, and any edits you make are stored in a separate file, apart from the PSD/CR2/etc itself. That way you can always recover the original file, and you never make destructive edits.

Hi

Thanks for the info.  I think I am gaining a better grasp of the program.  
I mainly want to be able to access the layered file in PS through the database w/o having to go outside of LR to locate/open.  I just re-imported a layered file and was able to successfully open the layered file by exporting the file to PS by using the "Post-Processing" window of the Export dialog box.    
When I first exported, I did not select this, and just exported into a different folder...... w/o post-processing.  This is what led to the flattened file.  

Cheers!
Dave

dmsp

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 04:03:06 pm »

Quote from: dmsp
Hi

Thanks for the info.  I think I am gaining a better grasp of the program.  
I mainly want to be able to access the layered file in PS through the database w/o having to go outside of LR to locate/open.  I just re-imported a layered file and was able to successfully open the layered file by exporting the file to PS by using the "Post-Processing" window of the Export dialog box.    
When I first exported, I did not select this, and just exported into a different folder...... w/o post-processing.  This is what led to the flattened file.  

Cheers!
Dave

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:06:00 pm by dmsp »

dmsp

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 04:05:35 pm »

Hi

Just an update on this.  After installing the LR 2.4 Update, I noticed the export mechanism noted above no longer seems to work.  However an easier process does...... Go to Photo in the toolbar, select Edit In, and choose your photo editing app.  The layered file will open to be edited.  

Cheers!
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up