Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience of 7900/9900 Owners Without Clogging Problems?  (Read 9432 times)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Experience of 7900/9900 Owners Without Clogging Problems?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 07:56:19 am »

The problematic "clogging" I experienced during my 7900's first month of service has recurred. Details at http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=35627.
- Dean

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 03:42:20 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Wayne,

A friend has both the iPF9000 and the 11880. The Canon served him well in printing many square meters over two years. He didn't observe excessive ink use compared to the Epsons 9600-9800 he owned at the same time. The Canon carts emptied to a few ml left. The iPF9000 had several mechanical problems though, flat cables to the head lasted maybe 6-8 months, several heads replaced. Right now it isn't working properly either. The 3 months old 11880 is doing a good job. He disabled the cleaning ritual like more have done. The one thing he doesn't like is the ink left in the cart when the printer says it should be replaced, 100 ml in a cart left is a lot. He inserts them again and keeps track of their weight. What do you do to keep that ink waste low?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Does he replace the cartridge when the printer says it is low, or does he wait until it actually runs out of ink during a job then replace it?  I haven't experienced this, but I'll admit I've never opened a cartridge to see how much ink is in them.  I know when I shake an empty cartridge I can't really hear or feel any ink moving around, and the empty one is substantially lighter than it's replacement.

The printer will tell you to replace it when it is at about 10%, but I usually wait until it stops during a job to replace it.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 03:45:48 pm »

Try weighing a full one, and then the "empty" cart. interesting what the difference maybe.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 04:45:10 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Does he replace the cartridge when the printer says it is low, or does he wait until it actually runs out of ink during a job then replace it?  I haven't experienced this, but I'll admit I've never opened a cartridge to see how much ink is in them.  I know when I shake an empty cartridge I can't really hear or feel any ink moving around, and the empty one is substantially lighter than it's replacement.

The printer will tell you to replace it when it is at about 10%, but I usually wait until it stops during a job to replace it.

The ink is in a sac or at least is on HP carts. When there is a little left you couldn't hear or  feel it moving about as it is pretty dissipated. I've opened a fair amount of them and there isn't more than 3 to 5ml max. When the bongers (pumps) can no longer pressure the valve open at the bottom of the cartridge the printer is told to stop at which time you can swap carts. True enough at this level of being empty there are image quality issues. IF it's a dark print it's going to suffer if it's a dark ink cart, but light prints and or an ink that is not much in the print line will go unnoticed.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 05:16:36 pm »

Neil!...Great to see you here. Came across a few of your posts.  You helped me out a few years back with some HP DJ130 profiles. I don't know if you remember. You suggested I try a RIP, and I did(EFI). I have not looked back since.  Maybe sooner or later I will try the Z3200.  

Neil...
Love your work, and your dedication towards others in the field. Your work has been at least inspiring.

I have opened up an Epson cart sometime back, and it had a sponge inside.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 05:31:56 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox

That is what he now intends to do but also keeping an eye on the cart weight if larger jobs have to be done.

I have to say that the Z3100/3200 keep good track of what is left and I usually put in a new cart when a larger job is there, to replace the near empty ones on less important jobs.

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 04:10:36 am »

I have to say that the Z3100/3200 keep good track of what is left and I usually put in a new cart when a larger job is there, to replace the near empty ones on less important jobs.

I never had a problem replacing carts mid-job with my Epson 9600. The print always turned out fine.
Not so with my HP Z3200! On the three occasions that I replaced a Z3200 cartridge mid-job the print was ruined with a clear band running across at the point of cartridge change. So now I do just as Ernst states above and change any low cartridges (if they are reported at about 10ml) before starting a larger job.

But is it ok to reinsert nearly empty Z3200 carts for smaller jobs? I haven't tried this and I am wondering if this is a good idea?
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 05:55:50 am »

Quote from: Ionaca
I never had a problem replacing carts mid-job with my Epson 9600. The print always turned out fine.
Not so with my HP Z3200! On the three occasions that I replaced a Z3200 cartridge mid-job the print was ruined with a clear band running across at the point of cartridge change. So now I do just as Ernst states above and change any low cartridges (if they are reported at about 10ml) before starting a larger job.

But is it ok to reinsert nearly empty Z3200 carts for smaller jobs? I haven't tried this and I am wondering if this is a good idea?

Shake R&R the old cart before inserting. And the HP cart pump/agitator does a nice job to keep cart content consistent in the printer over the usable period. I did not have any problems so far. There are also jobs like text pages where MK or PK is used mainly and that's a good opportunity to empty the black carts. More recently I preserved some of the near empty cart content to let an office printer do its job but that one is only CMYK.

There may be an even nicer Edelweiss growing at the edge of the cliff with third party inks but I am happy enough with the economic Vivera bouquet.
In reflection: must be a Dutchman writing that line :-)

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 10:16:36 am »

There may be an even nicer Edelweiss growing at the edge of the cliff with third party inks but I am happy enough with the economic Vivera bouquet.
In reflection: must be a Dutchman writing that line :-)

Vivera Vivera
Every morning you greet me
Small and white
Clean and bright
You look happy to meet me
Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever
Vivera Vivera
Bless my Z3200 forever
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:53:43 am by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK