Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Epson 1160 has finally died. RIP, old friend.  (Read 2310 times)

Peter McLennan

My Epson 1160 has finally died. RIP, old friend.
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:43:16 pm »

Purchased for about $150 from refurbdepot nearly a decade ago, my Epson 1160 has served me well. Yesterday, it began flashing all its lights in unison, a signal that the manual says requires returning the printer to Epson for service.  I guess I won't be doing that.    

Fed by a Mediastreet CIS (one of the originals) and running Mediastreet pigment inks, this workhorse has probably pumped several litres of ink through its head.  Many of those prints still hang on my walls and look as good as the day they were printed.  Good value, eh?

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 08:42:38 pm »

You can fix it yourself. I can't remember the sequence but I'm sure you can google it.
There is a sequence of buttons to press on the front to reset the printer
as well as a PC only app that also does it

Paul Roark

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 11:41:41 pm »

See if this Epson reset program turns off the lights.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...Form.jsp#submit

After bypassing the maintenance requirement on one printer, and printing a lot of further prints, I went to move it and made the mistake of tipping it to the side.  Ink ran out of the bottom of the print -- rather a mess.  The base of the printer will eventually fill with waste ink.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:38:59 pm »

Thanks, guys, for your advice.  The 1160 isn't even listed on the Epson site as a candidate for a waste pad reset.  I see that there are button-push alternatives, but I think I've got my money's worth out of the 1160.  I've disconnected it from the CIS and it's been sitting for a day or so now, so the head is probably dried out.  I'm installing its successor, an Epson C120, also equipped with a CIS and look forward to another decade of use from this printer.  If my 4800 lasts as long, I'll be stoked.  

Before installing the brand-new C120's CIS, I had to install the original Epson carts to ensure a good nozzle check.  It's been a long time since I've seen one of these and I was amazed at the tiny size of the cart and the quantity of ink contained therein.  Probably less than a tablespoon.  At $20 a pop, it won't be long before I've recouped the CIS investment.

jjlphoto

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:54:36 am »

Go to this Yahoo User Groupo:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EPSON_Printers/

There is a PC only reset utility floating around that someone over there knows will where the link is. Just post a message and ask about the Russian reset utility. I am on a mac, so when mine died, I was out of luck.

Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP
Pages: [1]   Go Up