Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MLU article  (Read 7659 times)

wolfy

MLU article
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 01:17:01 am »

Let's assume we have a perfect lens and have successfully banished all vibration and atmospheric distortion, and all that remains is the movement of the earth (and everything on it) in relation to the light beams between subject and camera.

Let's suppose we're photographing a tall building exactly one kilometre away. The light takes 1/300,000th of a second to reach the camera, during which time the earth has moved in its orbit around the sun about 277mm (30,000 KM/hour = 83km/sec divided by 300,000 = 277mm).

Assuming, the line between building and camera is at right angles to the movement of the earth in its orbit, the building will appear to be fatter than it actually is, to both the eyes and the camera.

Is this true? And if it is true, does the building appear fatter by approximately 227mm? For the purpose of this calculation, I'm ignoring the fact that the earth is also rotating and that the entire solar system is whizzing around the centre of our galaxy.
I just shook my head at this, ...and the entire image shifted out of my field-of-view!

Ray

MLU article
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2003, 09:52:04 am »

My first reaction was - the image has been stitched. I don't think an XPAN would do that. On the other hand, I don't actually know that those two towers actually are the same size. Have you checked them out.  :D

wolfy

MLU article
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2003, 10:12:58 am »

About that 277mm, take a look at this picture of Tower Bridge in London, the far tower looks bigger than the near tower. Tower Bridge
??? Towers look right to me.  

The tower to our right  is taller (bigger) and is nearer(...the foreground area diminishes toward the right side of the frame....the photo having obviously been take on-or-near the right bank of the river.

The more-distant tower(our left) appears "wider" because it's face is more square to the viewer. I.E., if you stood beside one tower, you'd see nothing at all of IT'S face, and have nearly a fully-square view of the other.(for an extreme example of the effect, look at the "Gate" arches at the ends of the bridge.

victoraberdeen

• http://www.abovo-media.com
MLU article
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2003, 11:53:44 pm »

Ray, just that MLU is not as important as it seems...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up