Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kata Bags  (Read 3092 times)

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
Kata Bags
« on: June 13, 2009, 05:27:54 am »

been eyeing off kata bags recently.  Their build certainly looks sturdy, notwithstanding the fact i feel i'd look like a ninja turtle if i had one on my back.

In particular i am looking at the R-104 for when i go travlling.  My kit includes a 1ds-3, possibly 5d back up and the TSE lenses.  also gitzo 1228 montaineering tripod, not to mention CF cards, and other cords, leads, filters etc.  And 15' MBP.

This bag is about as big as i would like to go in this range and i feel that with a 1Ds with baseplate attached its  going to be a real squeeze fit, according to published dimensions. Also - although firm and well built, the zips on the showroom model seemed to be a bit catchy and tricky to open.  [which i admit is not so bad as my current lowepro's zips open by themselves rendering the use of the compression straps a necessary precaution]

has anyone had any experiences with this bag?
I am currently using a lowepro Mini Trekker AW.

Thanks
RE

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Kata Bags
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 06:42:06 am »

Quote from: evonzz
been eyeing off kata bags recently.  Their build certainly looks sturdy, notwithstanding the fact i feel i'd look like a ninja turtle if i had one on my back.

In particular i am looking at the R-104 for when i go travlling.  My kit includes a 1ds-3, possibly 5d back up and the TSE lenses.  also gitzo 1228 montaineering tripod, not to mention CF cards, and other cords, leads, filters etc.  And 15' MBP.

This bag is about as big as i would like to go in this range and i feel that with a 1Ds with baseplate attached its  going to be a real squeeze fit, according to published dimensions. Also - although firm and well built, the zips on the showroom model seemed to be a bit catchy and tricky to open.  [which i admit is not so bad as my current lowepro's zips open by themselves rendering the use of the compression straps a necessary precaution]

has anyone had any experiences with this bag?
I am currently using a lowepro Mini Trekker AW.

Thanks
RE

Hello,

I love kata's bags. I have quite a few. R-101, R-104, HB-205 and HB-207. I find them very good. Great build quality and great function. I have not found a better solution to carry my stuff so far.

Chris
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Kata Bags
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:02:12 am »

Hi. I have the R-103. I don't like the funky look, the rounded top and the waist strap (had a custom one fitted- the r-104 strap looks better). However the zips are very strong, it is very well built, has good access with a tripod attached and I can fit a fair amount in it and sling it over one should at airports and it doesn't look heavy. I've never been asked to put it on the scales. I got this one for the lighter weight, both for air travel and one day hiking. If you are using it just for air travel you could also consider the Kiboko bag if you are willing to use a small netbook instead of you laptop.
Cheers, David

BFoto

• Brad's blog
Kata Bags
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 08:11:10 pm »

They are great for the field. Long walks, hiking, backpacking i used the 103. They fit very snug onto your back and one never feels like your centre of gravity has shifted posteriorly. This is its strength but its weakness also. The depth of them is shallow and for most lenses you will have to lay them on there side.

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
Kata Bags
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 10:24:53 pm »

Quote from: BFoto
They are great for the field. Long walks, hiking, backpacking i used the 103. They fit very snug onto your back and one never feels like your centre of gravity has shifted posteriorly. This is its strength but its weakness also. The depth of them is shallow and for most lenses you will have to lay them on there side.

The way the interior is designed, it seems to get really narrow towards the top of the pack, so even laying lenses on their sides seems like it still  may be too narrow.  For example the canon L series lenses with lens hoods can really be quite bulky.

May need to do a trial packing exercise in store.

Cheers
RE

John Camp

Kata Bags
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 01:23:36 pm »

I've got two Kata bags, but I no longer use either of them. They are extremely well-made, very tough, but seem to be designed for equipment that may be more delicate than cameras -- that is, they are over-padded, unless you're actually *throwing* your bag around. If I was always shipping my equipment from one place to another, with baggage handlers, then I might well go with a Kata, because they *will* protect the gear; but for carrying, it's overkill. The extra padding, and the fact that they are apparently designed for very active uses that requires a slimline bag that sits tight to the body (military?,) means that they will not carry nearly as much gear as other bags of the same size. There's a tendency to think "I need the toughest, sturdiest bag I can lay my hands on," but you've got to ask yourself, "Really?" -- because there are costs involved. I'm a pretty active guy, and my bags get beat around a bit, and I've gone to Think Tank. It's quite good, works well for me, and is more practical, I think. (Not that it's perfect.)

JC

aaykay

Kata Bags
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 11:41:57 pm »

Quote from: Christopher
Hello,

I love kata's bags. I have quite a few. R-101, R-104, HB-205 and HB-207. I find them very good. Great build quality and great function. I have not found a better solution to carry my stuff so far.

Chris

I am interested in the R-104 as well and would appreciate feedback on the depth of the bag.  The specs mention that it is 6.5" deep in the main compartment.  Is it evenly 6.5" deep throughout the main comparment or is it 6.5" only in a smaller area ?  The reason for my interest in the 6.5" is that I will be able to place several of my lenses, upright, if such a depth is available.

Also, it is mentioned that it can fit a 17" laptop.  Obviously the R-104 was released a couple of years back, when there were fewer wide-screen laptops.  Can its laptop compartment accomodate a 17" wide-screen laptop ?

The R-106 obviously is a lot more commodious but the specs take it to well beyond airline carryon compliance, which is what leads me back to the R-104.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Kata Bags
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:48:20 pm »

Quote from: aaykay
I am interested in the R-104 as well and would appreciate feedback on the depth of the bag.  The specs mention that it is 6.5" deep in the main compartment.  Is it evenly 6.5" deep throughout the main comparment or is it 6.5" only in a smaller area ?  The reason for my interest in the 6.5" is that I will be able to place several of my lenses, upright, if such a depth is available.

Also, it is mentioned that it can fit a 17" laptop.  Obviously the R-104 was released a couple of years back, when there were fewer wide-screen laptops.  Can its laptop compartment accomodate a 17" wide-screen laptop ?

The R-106 obviously is a lot more commodious but the specs take it to well beyond airline carryon compliance, which is what leads me back to the R-104.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
I can't say to much about the 104 right now, because I'm on the road and the bag is at home. As far as I can remember, the bag isn't that deep, but I'm not sure how the 6.5'' are stated. (and can't check)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

aaykay

Kata Bags
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:43:58 pm »

Quote from: Christopher
I can't say to much about the 104 right now, because I'm on the road and the bag is at home. As far as I can remember, the bag isn't that deep, but I'm not sure how the 6.5'' are stated. (and can't check)

Thanks, Chris for the feedback.  Yes, Kata specifically mentions the 6.5" as the depth of the main compartment, which is pretty substantial, since I can place my 135mm f/1.8, my 24-70 f/2.8, the 16-35 f/2.8, the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 etc., upright.  That would save up a lot of additional space for other things.  

Here are the dimensions, as per Kata:

R-104:
14.2" x 10.6" x 20.9" (Exterior)
13" x 6.5" x 17.7" (Interior Main compartment)

R-106:
14.2" x 13" x 21.3" (Exterior)
13.4 x 7.9 x 20.5" (Interior Main Compartment)

Obviously the R-106 seems to have a pretty deep (7.9") main compartment but the overall dimensions make it non-compliant as airline carry-on, which is a priority for me.  The R-104 is compliant, but some questions remain on how much of the interior compartment is 6.5" deep (whether the 6.5" is available in just a very small portion or whether the 6.5" depth is widely available across a significant portion of the interior compartment).

I think the best way to find out, would be to just order the R-104 from B&H or so, and try out its dimensions in person and validate if it would meet my needs.  And if not, then order something else.  Thanks anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up