Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture support for H3D-II 50 files ?  (Read 3394 times)

Barkeeper

Aperture support for H3D-II 50 files ?
« on: June 07, 2009, 03:14:51 pm »

Hello,

sorry, if this is the wrong place in this nice forum or this question has already been answered.

I have a Hasselblad H3D-II- 50 and I would like to work with Apple Aperture, but my 3FR or FFF files seem to be unsupported.
I heard that Hasselblad changed the file format to a compressed version.

Does Apple know about this ?

Now Adobe Camera Raw RC supports the files (not tested by myself), so what about Apple ?

Thank you!

Chris

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:33:12 pm »

Quote from: Barkeeper
Hello,

I have a Hasselblad H3D-II- 50 and I would like to work with Apple Aperture, but my 3FR or FFF files seem to be unsupported.
Chris
Apple is supposed to support the 3FR /FFF formats, but will not let you open them unless you instruct it to "open with" the program.
I got an Apple guru to forward an e-mail of mine explaining this to Richard West, UK's Apple media expert, but there is a bug report menu option in the apple menu, I think.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

cigarluv

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 01:32:42 am »

watch out for skintone whem convert by aperture.  The way they render file were not good enough.

Barkeeper

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:54:36 am »

Hello,

have you tried it yourself ?

I had some demo files from Hasselblads H3D-II-39 and those where displayed in Apple Quick Look (german: Vorschau), but my own files from the H3D-II-50 seem to be unsupported.

One nice guy from Hasselblad explained me some time ago, that the files of the 50 are compressed.
So the file size is smaller and so it could be written faster to the card.
Writespeed was the limitating factor not CPU performance to compress the files.

Maybe I could upload a demo file this afternoon.

Thanks
Chris

BTW: Oficially Aplle supports only the H3D-31II: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1475
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:57:04 am by Barkeeper »

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 02:59:57 am »

Correct.

Apple have only added 'official' support for the 31 yet, but some users have success with the 22 and 30.

All of our files are compressed in the same way, so the 50 is not unique in that respect.

More so that they have not yet added support for the 50.  This is something Apple have to decide when to do.

Good news is Adobe have released a beta Camera Raw plug in that supports Hasselblad 3FR files, with a view to a final release later.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 04:09:31 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Correct.

Apple have only added 'official' support for the 31 yet, but some users have success with the 22 and 30.

All of our files are compressed in the same way, so the 50 is not unique in that respect.

More so that they have not yet added support for the 50.  This is something Apple have to decide when to do.

Good news is Adobe have released a beta Camera Raw plug in that supports Hasselblad 3FR files, with a view to a final release later.

David
Thanks, David.

One theory is that Phocus 1.2 is so good that there is no need to use any other software except Photoshop (master collection)!

...but Phocus 1.2 seems less than ideal for moving, sorting, keywording, indexing, filtering and finding pictures: if you take hundreds of pictures on a trip, including similar pictures that you will probably not market for years, you want to keyword them and save them in compressed format, without expanding them to 300Mb or doing any more work on them, or creating additional files in any other format.

Will we be able to use the database/keywording features of Adobe Bridge on 3FR files? (my old computer was so old and slow it would not run Bridge, so I am not familiar with it.)

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:03:30 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Thanks, David.

One theory is that Phocus 1.2 is so good that there is no need to use any other software except Photoshop (master collection)!

...but Phocus 1.2 seems less than ideal for moving, sorting, keywording, indexing, filtering and finding pictures: if you take hundreds of pictures on a trip, including similar pictures that you will probably not market for years, you want to keyword them and save them in compressed format, without expanding them to 300Mb or doing any more work on them, or creating additional files in any other format.

Will we be able to use the database/keywording features of Adobe Bridge on 3FR files? (my old computer was so old and slow it would not run Bridge, so I am not familiar with it.)

I have avoided keywording for some time now... My backup storage solution includes relative information about the shoots as follows: YYYYMMDD_Title_Desc this allows for easy sorting and whatnot. You can always make a virtual contact sheet in the parent directory of that folder and have that file in each folder. Maybe in a PDF format or whatnot and that would allow you to quickly view images in one location very fast. That contact sheet can be created in Photoshop. Phocus is exceptional for filtering. Their Instant Approval Architecture (IAA) stuff is just magical and allows you to rate stuff right at time of capture. It is similar to using flags or stars in Lightroom and whatnot.

I would really stress using Phocus for your Hassy files. You do get a superior image out of it and I think the pros would highly outweigh the cons in regards to keywording and cataloging. If I use lightroom for my Nikon files, I make separate catalogs per shoot. I used to have one big mamma jamma' catalog but Lightroom started choking up on me. So each client, job, trip gets it's own catalog from now on. No need for keywording then which could be good or bad depending on your needs. If you are sporting the 50mp back then you don't know what you are missing out on if you aren't using Phocus!

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 02:54:33 pm »

Thanks, David.

Have you tried the keywording tool in Phocus?

You can add/remove multiple keywords over a batch of files in a few clicks.
David Grover

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 05:34:20 pm »

Have you tried the keywording tool in Phocus?

You can add/remove multiple keywords over a batch of files in a few clicks.
I found the keywording feature today, and had wondered if you could add keywords to more than one image - I will have to study it more carefully... thanks.

... but keywording .FFF files would be useful if you could search for pictures by keyword in the (Phocus or any) browser - I have not been able to do that.

• Capture One
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 01:53:48 am »

I found the keywording feature today, and had wondered if you could add keywords to more than one image - I will have to study it more carefully... thanks.

... but keywording .FFF files would be useful if you could search for pictures by keyword in the (Phocus or any) browser - I have not been able to do that.

Yep.  Just select one of more images in focus and any keywords you add will be added to all the selects.

You can also search for files with keywords by entering the term in the Search box (top right hand corner).

David Grover

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 01:59:32 pm »

Yep.  Just select one of more images in focus and any keywords you add will be added to all the selects.

You can also search for files with keywords by entering the term in the Search box (top right hand corner).
Thanks - as apples do not support 50 Mpx .fff files, you cannot preview pix except in phocus?
Phocus search only looks in the selected directory?
Mac Leopard finder will find .fff files by keyword in any directory?
Even if you reassign .fff files to phocus, you cannot open a file by double clicking on it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up