Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does LR2 read TIFF files higher than 24-bits per pixel?  (Read 2121 times)

Mark F

Does LR2 read TIFF files higher than 24-bits per pixel?
« on: June 09, 2009, 06:32:35 pm »

The Output tab of Vuescan has a setting for "TIFF file type" and the two reasonable choices are either 24-bits per pixel or 48-bits per pixel. I'm not sure which to use. I've scanned slides both ways and *think* that I see a small difference between the two setting when imported to LR2. The instructions for this setting are:

TIFF file type
This option describes the resolution of the cropped TIFF file, in bits per pixel. It should
normally be set to 24-bits per pixel, since many image editing programs are unable to
read TIFF files with higher bit depth than this.

I'm trying to figure out if LR2 is one of the "many imaging programs" that does not read 48-bit files. Since the 48-bit files are much larger than the 24-bit files I'd stick with the 24-bit setting if LR2 cannot read the 48-bit files. Looked in two different guidebooks but do not see the answer, although I'd bet its in there somewhere.  

Thanks.
Mark

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:32:10 pm »

Lightroom handles 8 bit/channel as well as 16 bit/channel. Multiply the bits by 3 channels and you get 24 and 48 respectively...

So, yes.

Mark F

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:52:35 am »

Thanks very much.    

In your opinion would there a noticeable difference between the 24-bit and 48-bit resolution? I do not see it on my monitor but perhaps its me....

I'm using a Nikon LS5000 scanner and would like to make 11x14 prints.

Mark

Quote from: Schewe
Lightroom handles 8 bit/channel as well as 16 bit/channel. Multiply the bits by 3 channels and you get 24 and 48 respectively...

So, yes.
Mark

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:39:24 pm »

Quote from: Mark F
In your opinion would there a noticeable difference between the 24-bit and 48-bit resolution?

Yes...

I do not see it on my monitor but perhaps its me....

You wouldn't since your display is an 8 bit device. But 16 bit/channel images contain lots more bit depth and allow for more color tone adjustments before banding occurs...

Mark F

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:27:45 pm »

Thanks again.  48-bit it will be

Quote from: Schewe
Yes...

You wouldn't since your display is an 8 bit device. But 16 bit/channel images contain lots more bit depth and allow for more color tone adjustments before banding occurs...
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up