Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you identify this cart?  (Read 1492 times)

arcman

Can you identify this cart?
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:43:50 pm »

These came with a used 9800 I just bought.  I found a similar but not exactly the same cart by searching the web.

I'd like to know who supplies them, if the ink is dye or pigment and where to get ink to refill them.

Thanks.

View cart

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 03:21:11 pm »

I could refer you to one very unhappy guy who decided to try those ebay cartridges on a 7800, he though what the heck I'm just doing posters.

All was bliss for a couple weeks, but after a vacation it was missing nozzle and missing channel hell-on-earth and he finally just dumped the printer.  Also, no canned profile will work well with those cartridges.  Wonder how many 98xx series printers are on the market because of these carts.

If ink is still flowing in your printer, might be best to change to geniune carts while you're ahead of the game.  I once in a while cheap-out here and there, but not on carts.

arcman

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 03:59:28 pm »

This printer has sat unused for over a year.  I turned it on, did a power cleaning and it did one automatic cleaning and all nozzles worked.  

Unlike my other 9800 with Epson carts that does nothing but eat ink with cleanings and can't seem to make up its mind as to which nozzles will be plugged.

The flushing boxes were covered in hardened ink, so much in some spots you couldn't see the screen.  It looked like it had a couple of coats of paint on it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 04:02:00 pm by arcman »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 07:58:28 pm »

Go figure.

It's probably a crapshoot on the third party cartridges, there is more than one manufacturer of the inks, of varying quality, and the same cartridge brand may not always use the same manufacturer's inks.  Would be curious to know what the print quality and longevity is on those inks.  Read somewhere that cartridge refillers are paying less than $0.01 per ml in bulk for the desktop style inks, which means a profit ratio of several hundred to 1.

And there are variations in the Epson printers themselves.  My new 9880 is a more clog prone that the old 7800.  That may have to do with my printing mostly canvas on the 9880, and Premium Luster on the 7800.  But neither one is really that bad if I keep ahead of things a little bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up