Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RZ Pro II vs Pro IID  (Read 13145 times)

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« on: May 23, 2009, 10:53:10 pm »

I am looking at the RZ67 Pro II system. I noticed that the Pro II bodies are significantly less expensive than the Pro IID bodies.

If I understand correctly, the Pro IID has digital connections for the ZD back.  Is that the only difference? If so, I should
buy a Pro II , since I have no interest in using the Mamiya backs.

Can someone enlighten me?
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Frank Doorhof

• http://
RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:51:13 am »

Hi,
I'm using the ProII body with a Leaf aptus back, the only thing needed is a small cable from the back to the lens.
Hardly anthing to spend more money for.

I would advise against the mamiya back to be honest and look at a refurbished leaf or phase back.
But make sure you get the larger sensor like for example the Aptus 22 which refurbished should be arround the ZD II back.

Don't by a smaller sensor, the RZ is a 6x7 and even with the aptus22 you are already cropping away alot.
And make some extra room in your budget for a brighter screen focus screen.
The original screen is almost impossible to work with in dark studios.

Alex MacPherson

RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:08:27 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Hi,
I'm using the ProII body with a Leaf aptus back, the only thing needed is a small cable from the back to the lens.
Hardly anthing to spend more money for.

I would advise against the mamiya back to be honest and look at a refurbished leaf or phase back.
But make sure you get the larger sensor like for example the Aptus 22 which refurbished should be arround the ZD II back.

Don't by a smaller sensor, the RZ is a 6x7 and even with the aptus22 you are already cropping away alot.
And make some extra room in your budget for a brighter screen focus screen.
The original screen is almost impossible to work with in dark studios.

Thanks Frank! Are there any lenses that you would recommend for studio use?
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Frank Doorhof

• http://
RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:28:22 am »

For 90% of my work I use the 180mm.
Recently I bought the T&S adaptor with the 180mm short barrel.

I also own the 65, 90 which I hardly use.
The 110mm f2.8 is also very nice.
And I recently bought the 140mm macro which should arrive any day now.

The fun thing about the RZ is that you can buy most lenses between 150 and 400 US.

PLLove

RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:48:02 pm »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
I am looking at the RZ67 Pro II system. I noticed that the Pro II bodies are significantly less expensive than the Pro IID bodies.

If I understand correctly, the Pro IID has digital connections for the ZD back.  Is that the only difference? If so, I should
buy a Pro II , since I have no interest in using the Mamiya backs.

Can someone enlighten me?

Plan on shooting film?

RobertJ

RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:38:01 pm »

I wrote some of this on another thread.  Maybe it will help, and I believe it's accurate, but the dealers can correct me if I'm wrong on something:

Regarding the RZII non-D:
- LEAF digital backs:  Leaf makes 4 adapters (with cable) for Mamiya AFD-mount backs, H-mount backs, V-mount backs, and AFi-mount backs.
- With Phase One backs, you can use an adapter and cables that will accept a Hasselblad V-mount back.
- Sinar backs have adapter plates.
- Hasselblad CF backs have adapter plates.

Regarding the RZIID:
The RZIID can do everything that the RZII non-D can do above, with the added advantage of supporting an electronic adapter plate made by Mamiya that allows ANY Mamiya AFD-mount back, (NOT just ZD backs!) to be used with electronic communication, and no cables, like you would on the 645AFD.

Henry Goh

RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:44:18 pm »

Quote from: T-1000
I wrote some of this on another thread.  Maybe it will help, and I believe it's accurate, but the dealers can correct me if I'm wrong on something:

Regarding the RZII non-D:
- LEAF digital backs:  Leaf makes 4 adapters (with cable) for Mamiya AFD-mount backs, H-mount backs, V-mount backs, and AFi-mount backs.
- With Phase One backs, you can use an adapter and cables that will accept a Hasselblad V-mount back.
- Sinar backs have adapter plates.
- Hasselblad CF backs have adapter plates.

Regarding the RZIID:
The RZIID can do everything that the RZII non-D can do above, with the added advantage of supporting an electronic adapter plate made by Mamiya that allows ANY Mamiya AFD-mount back, (NOT just ZD backs!) to be used with electronic communication, and no cables, like you would on the 645AFD.

I would guess that with communication, EXIF data is captured?  Thanks.

Henry Goh

RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 12:07:39 am »

Quote from: John-S
ISO on the back and the shutter speed is stored in EXIF but not lens focal length.

And there is a "catch" when you use a Leaf Aptus (22 at least), that the ProIID + Mamiya adapter plate + AFD mount Aptus will get a single blank frame every time the shutter speed is changed. It is known firmware issue, will never be corrected and you'll be lucky to ever see this documented or presented to the world.

Learned through school of hard knocks. Confirmed by Leaf America.

What does work really well with ProIID + Mamiya adapter plate + AFD mount Aptus is just using the Leaf cable from the back to lens and scotch taping the adapter plate contacts. Of course doing that eliminates the purpose of paying more for a ProIID, so just buy a ProII if you are an Aptus user. Issue does not exist with other digital backs.

Thanks John.  Any idea how they play if I use P1 backs?

Alex MacPherson

RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 02:11:05 am »

I guess getting a Pro II is the best option. I will be shooting film until mfdbs get really cheap (sub $3K) lol
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
RZ Pro II vs Pro IID
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 07:00:57 pm »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
I guess getting a Pro II is the best option. I will be shooting film until mfdbs get really cheap (sub $3K) lol

Sent you a message.
Pages: [1]   Go Up