Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Whitest Matte Paper without Optical Brighteners

(1/1)

richardsteele:
I know that Optical Brighteners are what make most white ink jet papers white. However, is there an alternative to OBAs? Is there a bleaching process that some paper go through? Are all OBA free, 100% cotton matte papers about the same natural color or are some whiter than others. If so, which ones might be the whitest?
Thanks in advance.

Colorwave:

--- Quote from: richardsteele ---I know that Optical Brighteners are what make most white ink jet papers white. However, is there an alternative to OBAs? Is there a bleaching process that some paper go through? Are all OBA free, 100% cotton matte papers about the same natural color or are some whiter than others. If so, which ones might be the whitest?
Thanks in advance.
--- End quote ---
I don't think it is officially released yet, but the successor to Breathing Color Optica One is likely to be the whitest non-OBA paper.  They are having sales to get rid of the excess inventory of Optica One right now, perhaps one of the most OBA heavy matte papers on the market. in advance of launching a new paper with the same coating as their Chromata White canvas.  The Chromata White does not light up like OBA coated canvases when I put it under UV light, but they manage to get a very bright white out of it.  Word is that the new offering is imminent.  I don't know of any other matte papers that approach that level of whiteness.  Among the other papers currently on the market, I see different tonal qualities from paper to paper, but none that seem significantly brighter than others to me.

bill t.:

--- Quote from: Colorwave ---I don't think it is officially released yet, but the successor to Breathing Color Optica One is likely to be the whitest non-OBA paper.  They are having sales to get rid of the excess inventory of Optica One right now, perhaps one of the most OBA heavy matte papers on the market. in advance of launching a new paper with the same coating as their Chromata White canvas.  The Chromata White does not light up like OBA coated canvases when I put it under UV light, but they manage to get a very bright white out of it.  Word is that the new offering is imminent.  I don't know of any other matte papers that approach that level of whiteness.  Among the other papers currently on the market, I see different tonal qualities from paper to paper, but none that seem significantly brighter than others to me.
--- End quote ---
Have reason to think there is also a (said to be spectacular) new BC canvas coating on the horizon.  The current BC coating prints beautifully and shows the least darkening from coating of any canvas I have used, but I hate the canvas texture it rides on.  It would be well worthwhile on a smooth paper or fine-weave canvas.

OB's or not, Optica 1 is a great paper if you like brilliant prints, it can easily run with the glossies in every way, no other matte paper comes close in that sense.  But the rolls are too darned heavy for no good reason, the last half of a roll is somewhat challenging in the printer, and 44" rolls can be positively willful.

Ken Doo:
I have heard from BC that there is a new canvas offering from Breathing Color, but it won't be replacing their current great canvas, Chromata White.  If memory serves me right, it is supposed to take to the Glamour II varnish even better....

Ernst Dinkla:

--- Quote from: richardsteele ---I know that Optical Brighteners are what make most white ink jet papers white. However, is there an alternative to OBAs? Is there a bleaching process that some paper go through? Are all OBA free, 100% cotton matte papers about the same natural color or are some whiter than others. If so, which ones might be the whitest?
Thanks in advance.
--- End quote ---

Richard,

Check the spectral curves and the overall reflectancy of the papers here:

http://www.pusztaiphoto.com/articles/print...s/webchart.aspx

It isn't the wider US catalogue though.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version