Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally Making the switch to Digital ....!!!!  (Read 2314 times)

JAPP

Finally Making the switch to Digital ....!!!!
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:27:05 pm »

Hello ...  I have long waited to make the switch from film to digital and feel it is finally come ... I have always ben a Nikon user , my current system is F5, 28-70 2.8 , 105 macro, 70-200 2.8 and a 15 mm 3.5 manual AIs .... my question and wanted advise is which body to buy.. I have been looking at D700 , D90 ... also interested in the filmic video out of the DSLR's .. Do I go whit the D700 for stills , or wait for the next  D700 revision .. and also interested in the New panasonic GH1 whit and adapter for my Nikon glass for video .....

Please I am new to the Digital world and need much advise.... I do a lot of UnderWater photos so that is also a thing to consider....

[attachment=13787:roatan_15.jpg]   [attachment=13789:silueta_.jpg]   [attachment=13788:camaron_1.jpg]

Er1kksen

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »

For underwater photography, there are two points I think you ought to consider: First, there is less light down under the surface, so the camera's low-light performance is important. Second, using a camera underwater in a housing, a large, bright viewfinder would no doubt be incredibly helpful.

Based on these and your current set of Nikon glass, I'd advise you to go with the D700 if you've got the funds. The photos are as clean as they get at high ISOs and the AF system works wonders in dim light, and since it's got a large FX sensor the viewfinder is large and bright. Not to mention that all your lenses will behave the way you're used to with your film F5.

JAPP

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:31:44 pm »

Quote from: Er1kksen
For underwater photography, there are two points I think you ought to consider: First, there is less light down under the surface, so the camera's low-light performance is important. Second, using a camera underwater in a housing, a large, bright viewfinder would no doubt be incredibly helpful.

Based on these and your current set of Nikon glass, I'd advise you to go with the D700 if you've got the funds. The photos are as clean as they get at high ISOs and the AF system works wonders in dim light, and since it's got a large FX sensor the viewfinder is large and bright. Not to mention that all your lenses will behave the way you're used to with your film F5.

Thank's  Er1kksen for the response , I will take your advise into consideration......

stever

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:50:49 pm »

do a search on wetpixel.com, and post there as well - plenty of Nikon users and opinions there

if you're doing primarily flash photography, then high ISO performance is not a primary consideration, although it's nice

there are some arguments for a crop-frame camera UW in terms of lens choices, esp. the Tokina 10-17 fisheye - depends on your use

in general, i'm not sure any of the movie-capable dslrs are quite ready for prime time underwater yet, although i also find the possibility appealing  -- housing are starting to ship so there should be some feedback in the next few months

i don't think the GH1 is in the same class and i suspect that it may not be happy with you Nikon glass - don't know when housings will be available, but you'll probably find out first on wetpixel

JAPP

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:39:26 pm »

Quote from: stever
do a search on wetpixel.com, and post there as well - plenty of Nikon users and opinions there

if you're doing primarily flash photography, then high ISO performance is not a primary consideration, although it's nice

there are some arguments for a crop-frame camera UW in terms of lens choices, esp. the Tokina 10-17 fisheye - depends on your use

in general, i'm not sure any of the movie-capable dslrs are quite ready for prime time underwater yet, although i also find the possibility appealing  -- housing are starting to ship so there should be some feedback in the next few months

i don't think the GH1 is in the same class and i suspect that it may not be happy with you Nikon glass - don't know when housings will be available, but you'll probably find out first on wetpixel

Thank you for the information ... stever ... what is your opinion if I not used for Underwater...

John-S

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:30:58 pm »

---
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:35:25 am by John-S »

stever

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:48:08 am »

John, sounds like it's been many years since you looked underwater.  During that time digital has had a greater impact on UW photography than land photography.

- unlimited images per dive
- instant review of results to correct flash exposure, technique, etc.
- no, digital is not cheap (although i've seen excellent macro shots from small cameras), but housings weren't cheap for film cameras either.  it's quality time diving that is expensive by comparison

digital drastically reduces the learning curve for UW photography and has resulted in an enormous improvement in the quality and variety of photographs

believe it or not, great photographers used to take great wildlife photos with Kodachrome - it just took months of time and thousands of rolls of film, as it did underwater

yes, viewfinders do work underwater, and yes, the bigger the better

Plekto

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:54:17 am »

http://www.backscatter.com/

I'd suggest asking around here as well, since they aseem dedicated to just this area.  Note, though, that underwater housings can easily run upwards of $1-2K.  Then again, I'd recommend getting something better than cheap, since as things age, their performance gets worse.  It's why a 300m diving watch that's a decade or two old still will work fine for swimming and general use in the water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up