Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7880 print width problem  (Read 2366 times)

John Crittenden

Epson 7880 print width problem
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:55:39 pm »

Hi, it's been awhile since I've posted. Hope all is well with you all.

I purchased an Epson 7880 about a year and a half ago. I've had no problems with it printing on roll canvas and the output is beautiful. Then just this week I've experienced an issue where the image is printed cropped and partly off the side of the canvas. It's as if it thinks it's printing to a letter size sheet. The part of the image that prints is about 7.75" wide.

I've not used the printer for awhile and thought I would do a nozzle check. So I set it to letter and printed the nozzle check on letter size stock. Since then I've had an issue where it won't print full width.

I've done everything I can think of. I've even reset to factory settings.

This issue is the same printing from Photoshop CS3 or inDesign CS3. I don't think it's document settings. I'm sure it's some simple thing that my simple mind can't wrap itself around.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,
John Crittenden

Update: I figured it out. Not sure why yet but Epson now seems more demanding in their paper size settings. Some of the custom sizes I used with previous drivers under Mac OS 10.4.6 don't seem to work the same under 10.5.7 and the new printer driver. Anyway, it's printing full width now and the correct size image. Sometimes I think this is a bit too much for an old artist. I had no trouble at all when I used to sit under a tree for a couple hours and crank out a painting. But then this technology which allows us to make multiple quality limited editions has it's benefits for sure. I love it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:03:44 am by John Crittenden »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Epson 7880 print width problem
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:14:06 am »

The printer always prints the nozzle checks to fit 8.5"wide media, without regard to what media size is actually loaded.  You don't need to change the paper size in software or from the panel to do any of the nozzle checks, it will always fit a 8.5" wide piece of paper (or larger if you want).

Sounds like you changed the paper size to 8.5".  Unless you load a custom setting or manually change it to something else it will remain that way.  In the printing dialog click "Page Setup" then click "User Defined" or "Paper Settings->Size" and set you paper size to whatever it actually is.  Also make sure "Center Image" is checked and "Scale to Fit Media" is not checked.  Does your Print Preview show the clipped image?
Pages: [1]   Go Up