Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook or Macbook pro for the leaf software on location ?  (Read 3816 times)

archivue

In order to shoot from the computer on location (inside !) with a leaf aptus 22, will you go with a macbook white (firewire400) or with a macbook rpo (fire wire cable 400/800) ?

Thanks

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Macbook or Macbook pro for the leaf software on location ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 10:10:34 am »

Quote from: archivue
In order to shoot from the computer on location (inside !) with a leaf aptus 22, will you go with a macbook white (firewire400) or with a macbook rpo (fire wire cable 400/800) ?

Thanks

You always want the maximum processing power you can afford when dealing with large image files, I'd go with macbook pro.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

evgeny

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:58:55 pm »

The speed of digital back sets the limit, not 400 or 800 fire wire connection. I use white macbook 2.4 Ghz/4Gb with firewire 400.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 04:12:44 pm »

Performance won't be vastly different. However the MacBookPro has a more tightly-spec'd firewire channel than the MacBook/iMac. So when it comes to reliability it will be slightly less. However, the difference is likely to be "very very good" compared to "very good" stability as long as your leaf is able to run off of it's own battery and not rely on the firewire power.

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

CBarrett

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 05:31:47 pm »

I just went from a 2 year old 15" MBP to a new 17" MBP loaded with RAM.  The big issue I find with tethered shooting is redraws...  I want to zoom into several portions of the image at 100% to check focus before I commit to the final exposure and I can do that faster with a faster computer.

It's just a matter of efficiency...

On the other hand.... now that I'm using a fw 400 - 800 cable, I've been getting "Firewire Error"s from C1 Pro 4.  Anybody else see this?  Never happened on my previous MBP.

-Chris

pixjohn

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 08:12:23 pm »

I shoot to a macbook pro 17 inch, but also have a new Mac Mini to run a 2nd monitor.   I tested the Mac Mini and it seems to do a great job. It works just as fast as my MacBook Pro tethered.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:13:30 pm by pixjohn »

archivue

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 02:56:17 am »

Quote from: John Schweikert
Only downside is that the new Macbooks have no firewire, so a used Macbook is the only option, but then again, more money savings.

Actually, apple keeps selling the white macbook as an entry level price...
White 13" Macbook for 950 euro including VAT

If for this application (shoot on location, no final processing) the difference isn't that obvious... i prefer to put money on lenses... lenses keep their value on a long run, and a laptop is more or less a disposal product...

I thougt that the pro where more reliable, but an apple store confirm that they have similar problems in the long run.

Considering the firewire error message, it looks like it happen with Macpro as well... maybe a software bug...

What about the quality of the sreen between the current White macbook and the Pro ?

Thanks

archivue

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 03:16:13 am »

It all indeed depends on what you do or expect.

I used the 15" MBP and loved it, but because I'm on the road alot and it has to replace my desktop than I bought the new MBP17".
Main reasons were the longer battery life and the wonderful screen which makes editing on site an option.

It's like DSLR's vs MF horses for courses.

If you only shoot tethered and want to see what you're doing get the smallest cheapest notebook available that will run your software and has firewire.
If you also want to edit and more get the bigger ones.

Do remember you have to carry it with you also.

archivue

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 04:19:50 am »

after more readings, it looks like that the macbook pro screen is much better than the white mb...
i thought it was similar... i think i will go for the pro for that reason !

so, a final question... shall i go for the regular 5400 tm hard drive or for the optional 7200tm ?

probably more noise and heat... ?

The 17" screen looks very good... but the computer is just way too big and expensive... please apple give us a macbook pro 12" with that kind of screen, fire wire 400 and 800 and 8 hours of battery life with a rapid battery swap... i will buy it on the spot for 2000 euros, and i'm shure i won't be alone !
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:23:15 am by archivue »

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 09:24:57 am »

Actually some of the 7200rpm drives use less watts than the 5400's. Unfortunately Apple dont have the seagate 500gb 7200rpm drive as an option.
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

CBarrett

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 09:40:50 am »

Quote from: Rick_Allen
Actually some of the 7200rpm drives use less watts than the 5400's. Unfortunately Apple dont have the seagate 500gb 7200rpm drive as an option.

I had a 7.2k rpm drive in my 15" and went with the 5.4k in the new laptop just so I called walk into the Apple Store and pick one up.  The 17" appears to be running way cooler than my 15" did.  The whole thing does provide for bigger heat distribution, but I expect the (not noticeably) slower hd helps that too.

Battery life on this thing rocks, btw...

archivue

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 10:18:02 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
I had a 7.2k rpm drive in my 15" and went with the 5.4k in the new laptop just so I called walk into the Apple Store and pick one up.

with the 17-inch Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up