Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Production Site  (Read 1479 times)

rcannonp

Production Site
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:57:55 am »

I need to make a production site for photoshoots, and I’m wondering what the best platform for this would be. I need to be able to upload location scouting and casting pics and other such things, and I need for the pages or sites to be separate from each other(password protected by job). I would also like to be able to dynamically update the content, so that the whole thing doesn't have to be uploaded every time a change is made. I was thinking of trying to do this with WordPress. Is there possibly something that may be more specifically suited to this purpose?
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Production Site
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:58:22 pm »

> need to make a production site for photoshoots, and I’m wondering what the best platform for this would be. I need to be able to upload location scouting and casting pics and other such things, and I need for the pages or sites to be separate from each other(password protected by job).

If you are comfortable with setting up services in Windows you can use Windows IIS service to create FTP and HTTP sites or virtual directories as needed. This can be done with XP Pro or foreword. If you use a desktop platform rather than a server platform, you will be restricted in the total number of concurrent logins that are permitted. But that probably won’t matter for intermittent use. I don’t know if there is a restriction in the # of sites that can be built with the desktop platforms.

To do this from a home or business you would need a single static IP address (or the equivalent by using DDNS) and some form of broadband connection.

> I would also like to be able to dynamically update the content, so that the whole thing doesn't have to be uploaded every time a change is made. I was thinking of trying to do this with WordPress. Is there possibly something that may be more specifically suited to this purpose?

I'm not familiar with WordPress. I read a little about it before responding and it looks cool. It uses PHP and MySQL and those are services which can be set to run under IIS. So you’d use WordPress for most front end work and the background private directories would be handled by IIS. You'd use use a link in WordPress to get people to the correct private directory.

I read somewhere there is a roughly equivalent but feature enhanced superset of this concept to be found in the unix/Linux world.

Using IIS isn't that difficult a thing to do and you can probably find many tutorials for most steps on the web.

rcannonp

Production Site
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:15:00 am »

Thanks for the reply.

I need web solution for this. Clients, producers, and such need to be able to log in from off site to view the content. We have a website for hosting. I had planned on using that. There is an old, unused G4 laying around that could be made into a server, but that would probably just complicate things.

I'm working on setting this up for people who are less web/computer savvy than I am, but I'm no expert myself. I was trying Wordpress because it seems to be the easiest to use of the more robust platforms. I can create a basic setup for this that is better than what they have done before, but it still feels a little clunky and unpolished. I'm sure a php guru could knock it right out.
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera
Pages: [1]   Go Up