Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyperdrive Colorspace does MF RAW previews !  (Read 3442 times)

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Hyperdrive Colorspace does MF RAW previews !
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:52:16 am »

I just bought a new Nexto which is great in terms of price performance but I noticed now that the Colorspace UDMA now has some support for MF RAW formats including .mos.

Support claimed for  

Hasselblad .3FR
Leaf .MOS
Mamiya .MEF
Phase One .TIF

http://www.hyperdrive.com/HyperDrive-COLOR...E-UDMA-s/64.htm

I'd be intrigued to know if anyone has one of these and if it performs usefully fast with MF files.  I can see the possibility of having one of these, plus the Nexto for on the road backups.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:52:54 am by free1000 »
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Carsten W

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:10:13 pm »

Quote from: free1000
I just bought a new Nexto which is great in terms of price performance but I noticed now that the Colorspace UDMA now has some support for MF RAW formats including .mos.

Support claimed for  

Hasselblad .3FR
Leaf .MOS
Mamiya .MEF
Phase One .TIF

http://www.hyperdrive.com/HyperDrive-COLOR...E-UDMA-s/64.htm

I'd be intrigued to know if anyone has one of these and if it performs usefully fast with MF files.  I can see the possibility of having one of these, plus the Nexto for on the road backups.

I am guessing that it doesn't convert the raw, but simply has enough intelligence to dig out the preview JPG from the raw header...
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

free1000

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:06:12 am »

Quote from: carstenw
I am guessing that it doesn't convert the raw, but simply has enough intelligence to dig out the preview JPG from the raw header...

I'm pretty sure that this is what it would do, and thats fine for the intended purpose. With this in mind, hopefully the performance is usably quick.
@foliobook

Snook

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:59:41 am »

I have been mailing Espon (P4500) for the last 2 years trying to get them to do the same..:+}
Has not happened.
By the way the NEXTO blows them all away for download speeds, But no preview...
But is is FAST!
I use it on location to do 2x back ups on the fly.

Snook

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 11:02:52 am »

Yes after sending them Leaf files for the slightly older Hyperdrive Colourspace O , they ignored that model
and and have only allowed raw files to be viewable in their very latest model.

A little bit irritated i am ! and Yaya also sent them both the compressed and uncompressed .mos files to
assist .
So great for new buyers of the Hyperdrive.

I am sure these little notebook computers are a lot more handy on location now than the Hyperdrive
storage devices ,also some notebook models have got cheap enough to be comparable price wise as well.

Terence
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

free1000

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:04:58 pm »

Quote from: Terence h
I am sure these little notebook computers are a lot more handy on location now than the Hyperdrive
storage devices ,also some notebook models have got cheap enough to be comparable price wise as well.
Of course! I hadn't thought about the possibility of using a netbook as a storage device, with 500Gb HD's so cheap now that would be cool. Of course, the simplicity of the Nexto etc is the chief value because they are so portable and there is of course the handy copy verification and appending of data with the latest Nexto version.

@foliobook

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:54:39 pm »

I loved image tanks but with prices memory going down and space going up even faster I hardly use my drive anymore.
At night I just download to my notebook and backup to a firewire 800 drive.
And with normal shoots I'm shooting tethered so there's no need for that in those cases.
I'm a bit afraid that the time of the image tank for a lot of people is a bit gone.

free1000

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 05:09:35 pm »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
I loved image tanks but with prices memory going down and space going up even faster I hardly use my drive anymore.
At night I just download to my notebook and backup to a firewire 800 drive.
And with normal shoots I'm shooting tethered so there's no need for that in those cases.
I'm a bit afraid that the time of the image tank for a lot of people is a bit gone.

I find it faster to incrementally back up the cards to the image tank during the shooting day, then do one upload via a fast connection such as firewire or eSATA when I'm back at base. I don't clear the cards until I've backup up the image tank/s to the main data storage. If you have an assistant who will handle backing up 30-40Gb of data (to my shame I sometimes shoot that in a day) then this time saving isn't so important.    

If I'm away for a number of days, then these really come into their own. I collected 150Gb of data on a road trip recently.

If I'm shooting tethered, as you say its neither here nor there.
@foliobook

markszeto

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 12:46:17 am »

I use both Hyperdrive and Nexto, as well as the Epson.

Yes, the hyperdrive can view MF files. I use the AFi7 and the MOS files can be displayed. Takes about a second or so to load the pics. However, you cannot enlarge the photo. It simply let you know whether a photo is copied properly (by showing the image), nothing more. Anyhow, it's the fastest machine I have ever used. Nexto is also fast and reliable. I use it as a backup when I travel. Nothing beats the screen of the Epson which is a pleasant to look at, and the build quality is really nice. But transfer speed is just too slow. In comparison, the finishing of Nexto is not bad, and the hyperdrive is very toyish.

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 04:44:00 am »

Quote from: markszeto
I use both Hyperdrive and Nexto, as well as the Epson.

Yes, the hyperdrive can view MF files. I use the AFi7 and the MOS files can be displayed. Takes about a second or so to load the pics. However, you cannot enlarge the photo. It simply let you know whether a photo is copied properly (by showing the image), nothing more. Anyhow, it's the fastest machine I have ever used. Nexto is also fast and reliable. I use it as a backup when I travel. Nothing beats the screen of the Epson which is a pleasant to look at, and the build quality is really nice. But transfer speed is just too slow. In comparison, the finishing of Nexto is not bad, and the hyperdrive is very toyish.

Mark which version of the Hyperdrive do you have please ?

Regards
Terence
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

BJNY

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 05:59:57 am »

Are all the Epsons slow?
Would exchanging out the hard drive with a faster one help the transfer speed?
Guillermo

bcooter

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 11:46:44 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Are all the Epsons slow?
Would exchanging out the hard drive with a faster one help the transfer speed?

The Epson is a good idea, the screen is very nice . . . but, it's just not professional and it's pretty big for a device that just views images.

The navigation is strange, importing files isn't that slow, but it's not that fast either and the battery last about an hour tops.

I tried to do a gig with it once, the clients loved the ability to hand hold and scroll through images, between sessions, but it still wasn't the best way to work.

There probably needs to be some kind of professional photo viewing device that isnt' a full fledged computer, but then again if it has the words professional photography written on it the cost will go up 50,000%.

In Japan the photojournalists have these tiny little laptops that they download to, edit, and wirelessly transmit the images to their editors, almost as fast as I write this.

Obviously they shoot dslrs and are shipping jpegs and obviously medium format doesn't have jpegs that you can preview, but someday all of this stuff might come together where we have one or two basic formats and everything works in everything.

I don't see Apple being the leader here, even if they do come out with that super ipod because you know it won't be that fast, it will be expensive and it's not made for us.

B

markszeto

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 01:13:51 pm »

i have the latest version of the hyperdrive....the Colourspace UDMA.

got to say my Epson is not that new. Think it is the P3000. Am sure the newest model is much faster, but I doubt it can be as fast as the Nexto, not to mention the Hyperdrive.

I forgot to mention that the battery lives for both the Nexto and Hyperdrive is much better than my Epson (again, hope the newer models are better).

Use to use the Epson + Nexto combo. Now that I got the Hyperdrive, the Epson just sits in the cabinet.

I have used many generations of digital albums. I remember the days when it took 20 mins to load 512mb. The speed for the Hyperdrive is simply amazing.  So far, no hiccups and I will keep my fingers crossed. The Monitor is "nice to have" though it is nothing close to the Epson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up