Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo, but which one  (Read 8993 times)

madmanchan

• Web
Gitzo, but which one
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 11:00:41 am »

I also recently upgraded from the 1348 to 3541LS. I also opted for the 3541LS over the 3530 because of the total length when collapsed (important for stuffing into the travel bags I happen to own). That was also the reason I got the 1348 originally, vs. the 1345.

The 3541LS is quite a bit shorter than the 1348 when extended. Not an issue for me, just FYI.

I like the new base plate, particularly the screw that can be used to help keep a tripod head (e.g., a ballhead) in place. Previously I was always having issues with the ballhead periodically rotating loose.

Minor criticisms:

- The leg locks on my 3541LS operate less smoothly than my previous 1348 and my Basalt 1297 (which I still have). They do lock securely, but do not operate as smoothly. Maybe they will loosen up in time.

- Gitzo switched to using a different hex key system for securing the base plate, adjusting the leg tensioning, etc. Why? IMO the new system is harder to use than the old one.

- Why does the tripod head retaining screw use a smaller/different hex key than the other adjustable mechanisms? Is this really necessary? (Why make the photographer remember and carry two things instead of one?)
Eric Chan

akclimber

Gitzo, but which one
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 04:15:19 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi!

The top plate interferes with the ball heads locking lever, it's archeted so I can live with that. Just checked, the QR level kan also interfere, no problem for me because I use L-plates (which I higly recommend). I'll go on vacation for four weeks, well right now ;-) so I may not respond for a week or so!

Bye
Erik

Thanks!  Enjoy your vacation!

dondini

Gitzo, but which one
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 08:21:30 am »

Being new to this site I found this thread very helpful in my search for a new tripod and ballhead. I ended up with the RRS BH-55 and the Gitzo GT3531. I went with the 3 section over the 4 because I don't mind the extra length. This is my fourth tripod and head selection and when I line them up you can see the natural progression moving up the ladder. I would like to think I'm at the top now and can concentrate on lenses.

Thanks to all for information...this has to be one of the best sites I've seen in terms of forums and useful information.

Don

250swb

Gitzo, but which one
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 06:37:09 am »

For trekking and hanging on a backpack you might look at the Feisol GT3441S if you want to add your own head, or GT3441SB if you want a quickly release ball head with it. With head it comes in at 1.3kg net. I haven't tried the Feisol head, and have heard there can be some slippage with longer lenses, but chose a Manfrotto Hydrostatic head like the 468MGRC2 and the whole lot is less than 1.7kg.

Steve
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up