Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: DXOmark ranks DB image quality well below DSLR!  (Read 58102 times)

ThierryH

DXOmark ranks DB image quality well below DSLR!
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2009, 12:47:18 pm »

I am lost since ages, by all of you and related to this subject!

Thierry

Quote from: Ray
Well, you've lost me here, ...

Panopeeper

« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2009, 01:04:16 pm »

If the scene being photographed has a high SBR (say 15EV), the P65+ will not deliver better detail than the D3X in the deepest shadows, whatever the print size (assuming equal print size for the comparison, of course). This is what the statement, 'the D3X has better DR than the P65+', actually means in practice
Your interpretation of English sentences is remarkable. For me, the meaning of one camera will not deliver better detail than the other... is, that the one is not better in that setting, not the other camera is better.

This only to illustrate your attitude towards this question, which I characterise as cooking a test, which has to deliver a given result.

Anyway, I don't see as proven, that the P65+ will not deliver better detail than the D3X in the deepest shadows. As of now, it is a claim, nothing else.

Another interesting issue that emerges from these DXOmark results is the apparent huge discrepancy between the nominal ISO sensitivities of the P65+ and the real and actual ISO sensitivity, as measured by DXO
Anyone who wishes to do serious comparisons of these two cameras needs to take this issue into consideration
You stress the "equalization" so much, that you are prepared to degrade a 65Mpix camera to a 12Mpix (8x12 with the very high printing density of 360ppi). On the other hand, you are insisting to balance the ISO differences - how do you balance the resolution difference? Downsampling is not "balancing" but "obfuscating".

Back to the issue: the P65+ is not a walkaround camera. You would not make shots with that like your #9199 (the greek taverne) with your 5D. It will be used mostly in settings, where the illumination won't limit the exposure seriously. In other words, it will be used at its optimal setting.

Thus measuring the dynamic range in a setting adjusted to the D3X's capability is ridiculous, even plainly amateurish.

I have only a Canon 40D, but the vast majority of my shots were made (not taken) at ISO 200 (or at ISO 100, only a tiny bit better than ISO 200), in order to utilize the maximum dynamic range. I would not waste a P65+ in settings, where it can not be utilized optimally.

Thus your (and DxO's) equalization of ISOs is a worthless excercise, waste of breath and bandwidth.
Gabor

Ray

« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2009, 01:04:55 pm »

Quote from: ThierryH
I am lost since ages, by all of you and related to this subject!

Thierry

Don't worry! Be happy!

Panopeeper

« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2009, 01:20:46 pm »

Quote from: BJL
You seem to be redefining "dynamic range" to suit your purposes
You seem to believe, that the current topic is engineering. In photography, both the noise and the detail reproduction are components of the image quality.

Once more, if detail reproduction were to be ignored, then the dynamic range of any camera could be increased to any degree simply by noise reduction in software - is this not obvious? Would this interpretation of dynamic range have any useful meaning?

downsampling from 60MP Bayer CFA raw output to say a 24.5MP RGB format will have more image detail than 24.5MP Bayer CFA raw, so it is not so clear how to equalize image detail. Maybe downsampling to half or less the lowest sensor pixel count equalizes detail.
Perhaps to the greatest common denominator? Let's downsample all images to one megapixel. P&S cameras are too welcome to participate in the shootout.
Gabor

Ray

« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2009, 10:56:27 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
Your interpretation of English sentences is remarkable.

Thank you.

For me, the meaning of one camera will not deliver better detail than the other... is, that the one is not better in that setting, not the other camera is better.

DXO doesn't measure resolution differences between cameras. These are my sensible deductions from the SNR and DR figures they supply. I'm surprised that you should revert to the simplistic notion, if Camera A delivers better resolution than Camera B, then it must do so in all circumstances. Surely you can see that that is not true? What's the matter with you?

A good example would be comparing the 15mp G10 with the 3mp D30 or the 6mp D60 or even the 8mp 20D. Which camera delivers the highest resolution? The G10 of course. Does it do so in all circumstances? Of course not. Even the D30 with 1/5th the pixel count of the G10 will deliver better and more detailed image quality than the G10 in the deepest shadows of any scene of high SBR. It will deliver better detail in those shadows because it has a higher DR and lower noise. Isn't that obvious?

Anyway, I don't see as proven, that the P65+ will not deliver better detail than the D3X in the deepest shadows. As of now, it is a claim, nothing else.

It's not even a claim. DXO doesn't adress resolution differences. It's a reasonable deduction based upon a concept of what dynamic range means in practice.

You stress the "equalization" so much, that you are prepared to degrade a 65Mpix camera to a 12Mpix (8x12 with the very high printing density of 360ppi). On the other hand, you are insisting to balance the ISO differences - how do you balance the resolution difference? Downsampling is not "balancing" but "obfuscating".

It's not me who's downgrading the image to 8x12. This a 'normalisation' procedure that DXO have adopted, presumably because it makes a lot of sense to compare such factors as SNR and DR on equal size prints. If it were up to me, I'd offer a few more normalisation options, such as the popular A3+, A2 and even 24"x32". By the way, the printing density they've chosen is 300ppi, not 360 as you've stated.

Those who've invested in a P65+ will be pleased to know that at 8x12" size their DB outperforms the Canon 10D in all parameters tested, although, with regard to DR it only just beats the 10D by an insignificant margin at ISO 360 (the P65's highest 'real' ISO). The 10D image has presumably been upsampled to reach an 8x12' size at 300ppi.

Back to the issue: the P65+ is not a walkaround camera. You would not make shots with that like your #9199 (the greek taverne) with your 5D. It will be used mostly in settings, where the illumination won't limit the exposure seriously. In other words, it will be used at its optimal setting.

DXO does not address such factors as usability under various circumstances. Nor have I. However, we know from many user comments on this forum, that some photographers do want to use their MFDBs at higher than base ISO and have often deplored the fact, and complained about it, that performance at high ISO usually leaves a lot to be desired, compared with a Nikon or Canon DSLR.

When a camera's ISO readout tells me it's ISO 400, I expect it to be reasonably close to that figure, and not out by more than a whole stop. This is information that I personally would certainly care about. It looks as though the P65+ is being marketed as a camera with ISO settings up to ISO 800 when in fact its maximum ISO setting is only ISO 400 (or 360 to be precise, according to DXOmark).

I have only a Canon 40D, but the vast majority of my shots were made (not taken) at ISO 200 (or at ISO 100, only a tiny bit better than ISO 200), in order to utilize the maximum dynamic range. I would not waste a P65+ in settings, where it can not be utilized optimally.

Thus your (and DxO's) equalization of ISOs is a worthless excercise, waste of breath and bandwidth.

You've got a serious problem with your logic there, Gabor. Because you rarely use your 40D above ISO 200, then anyone using a P65+ would also rarely want to use their camera above ISO 200 and therefore mentioning the fact that ISO 200 on the P65+ is really only ISO 89 is a waste of bandwidth!!! Dear me! You're not on medication, are you?

I can think of lots of reasons why a user of a P65+ might want to use a high ISO, especially in landscape photography when an extensive DoF might sometimes be desired in conjunction with a reasonably fast shutter speed to freeze any slight movement of drifting ice, moving foliage in the breeze, or anything else in the scene which is not perfectly static. As you no doubt already know, and certainly should know, in order to get the DoF of a 40D at F8, you need to use the P65+ at an F stop somewhere between F16 and F22, depending on aspect ratio.

Do you like arguing just for the sake of arguing? Or, are you genuinely serious about the points you've just made?

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2009, 03:29:22 am »

This is an hilarious thread (and entertaining). And I mean no disrespect to those posting... but... (and I'm sure this has been said many times before)... one doesn't need Dx0 or on-line measurebating to determine if the P65+ or the D3x or Canon 5DII is best for one's needs. In fact, most of this (interesting) technical crap is so academic as to be at risk of influencing a decision into the wrong direction.

Demoing a P65+ is the obvious course for those considering it (or any other digital back) – not consulting Dx0 or any other similar site. I'll even submit that if one can't see the differences in the files, then there's no need to consider any of the new equipment. As Ray says "don't worry, be happy". Same goes for the D3x and others. Each can be rented or demoed. Charts, graphs, DR, do not determine the image. In fact, often a 10 or 12 stop image might be quite UNappealing in comparison to those with "sexy light" holding only six stops.

I own only the lowly, and much forgotten, P25+ (in my MF kit). I love it. I have compared the files to those of other cameras/backs and I still like it. Some cameras (or backs) best it, others do not. If I could afford it I would consider upgrading to something with higher pixel count, but not without significant consideration. It's the image, not the numbers. For my needs, a full-frame Phase One "P50+" with maximum exposure length of about five minutes, and 7µ pixel dimension, might be perfect (to facilitate making even larger prints). For my good friend (a working pro) the 5DII is a much better choice, another, the 1Ds3, etc.

The images simply do not LOOK the same from these different equipment. What's better or best? That depends on your needs and tastes. For example, for many DR has little importance once they learn what their equipment will record. That comes from... wait for it... ... taking pictures. As discussed, the sensor is part of it; the conversion software is part of it; the operator is part (much) of it.

All meant in fun, folks.  I waited all these many pages before venting.  We all have different needs and interests. I find that many people considering my images don't care about any of the stuff that we consider when we choose our backs, bodies, printers, etc. I always learn something from this type of thread, but perhaps not what some might expect or wish to "teach".  I like the technical and theoretical discussions too (up to a point), but please let's not throw "photography" under the bus for "computing".

I know, I know... I stepped over the line, or at least, off-topic, by dragging photography in to this.

Best,

Dale
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:31:57 am by DFAllyn »

ThierryH

« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2009, 03:42:05 am »

Very well said, Dale, it makes all so much sense.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: DFAllyn
This is an hilarious thread (and entertaining). And I mean no disrespect to those posting... but... (and I'm sure this has been said many times before)... one doesn't need Dx0 or on-line measurebating to determine if the P65+ or the D3x or Canon 5DII is best for one's needs. In fact, most of this (interesting) technical crap is so academic as to be at risk of influencing a decision into the wrong direction.

Demoing a P65+ is the obvious course for those considering it (or any other digital back) – not consulting Dx0 or any other similar site. I'll even submit that if one can't see the differences in the files, then there's no need to consider any of the new equipment. As Ray says "don't worry, be happy". Same goes for the D3x and others. Each can be rented or demoed. Charts, graphs, DR, do not determine the image. In fact, often a 10 or 12 stop image might be quite UNappealing in comparison to those with "sexy light" holding only six stops.

I own only the lowly, and much forgotten, P25+ (in my MF kit). I love it. I have compared the files to those of other cameras/backs and I still like it. Some cameras (or backs) best it, others do not. If I could afford it I would consider upgrading to something with higher pixel count, but not without significant consideration. It's the image, not the numbers. For my needs, a full-frame Phase One "P50+" with maximum exposure length of about five minutes, and 7µ pixel dimension, might be perfect (to facilitate making even larger prints). For my good friend (a working pro) the 5DII is a much better choice, another, the 1Ds3, etc.

The images simply do not LOOK the same from these different equipment. What's better or best? That depends on your needs and tastes. For example, for many DR has little importance once they learn what their equipment will record. That comes from... wait for it... ... taking pictures. As discussed, the sensor is part of it; the conversion software is part of it; the operator is part (much) of it.

All meant in fun, folks.  I waited all these many pages before venting.  We all have different needs and interests. I find that many people considering my images don't care about any of the stuff that we consider when we choose our backs, bodies, printers, etc. I always learn something from this type of thread, but perhaps not what some might expect or wish to "teach".  I like the technical and theoretical discussions too (up to a point), but please let's not throw "photography" under the bus for "computing".

I know, I know... I stepped over the line, or at least, off-topic, by dragging photography in to this.

Best,

Dale

Ray

« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2009, 12:01:53 am »

Demoing a P65+ is the obvious course for those considering it (or any other digital back) – not consulting Dx0 or any other similar site.
Dale

Dale,
If you consider that demoing a P65+ is the obvious course of action for those considering it, or any other digital back, is there any reason why such an approach should not apply to all cameras? If you think this is true, then, according to you, we could dispense with all technical tests of cameras and just rely upon word of mouth or simply adopt a 'follow the leader' approach.

When the cost of the equipment is of a minor concern, you don't even need to demo the equipment. Just buy what the leading photographers in your field are using, and you'll be right, or simply buy the most expensive equipment available on the assumption that the higher the price, the better the equipment.

Speaking from personal experience, demoing equipment should only be necessary in the absence of thorough technical reviews. When Nikon caused a big stir with its first FF 35mm DSLR, the D3, which seemed to have better SNR and DR than any Canon DSLR then available, there was initially simply no reliable information that quantified the improvements over the Canon equipment. Most reviewers just compared in-camera jpegs. The Nikon shots clearly had had a lot of in-camera chroma-noise reduction applied, which Canon wasn't doing in-camera. The Nikon shots at ISO 3200 therefore were significantly cleaner than the Canon shots, but not after one applied an appropriate amount of chroma-noise reduction to the Canon images using a program like Noise Ninja. The Canon 5D shots then sometimes looked better than the D3 shots, but on balance about equal. The argument used by some that any additional noise reduction applied in post processing to the Canon images should also be applied to the Nikon images, was a false argument. You cannot apply chroma noise reduction twice and expect a further improvement. The Nikon images simply had the benefit of in-camera chroma noise reduction. The Canon images didn't have that benefit.

If the reviewers had been doing their job properly, they would have reported that for jpeg shooters the D3 had the time-saving feature of in-camera chroma noise reduction which Canon DSLRs lacked, and that in order to get a high-ISO 5D image looking almost as good (if not as good) as a D3 image it was necessary to apply chroma noise reduction in post-processing.

In fact, what we got was wild exaggeration about the D3's high ISO performance. Such exaggeration was made easier by the fact that the D3 boasted a number of very high ISO settings from ISO 6400 to ISO 256,000. The high numbers seemed to have their intended psychological effect and soon the rumour was widespread that the D3 had up to 2 stops better high-ISO performance than any Canon DSLR on the market.

Since I place a high value on high-ISO performance (I like to do street photography without flash) I decided to demo a D3 and compare it with my 5D. It wasn't easy. I was in Bangkok at the time. No-one was hiring out this latest Nikon DSLR; they were in such short supply. The best I could do was struggle through the dense traffic in Bangkok to the main Nikon agent and use their D3 demo model to compare with my 5D, photographing dark corners inside the shop.

The results were surprising. From ISO 3200 to ISO 256,000 (underexposing the 5D to simulate the higher ISOs), the difference in DR and noise was of the order of 1/3rd of a stop. Sometimes a little more. Sometimes a little less. That's a far cry from the 'up-to-two-stops' claims from some who had actually used and demoed the camera but who had not done any thorough comparisons. It's clear to me that simply demoing a camera, giving it a twirl and a spin in the haphazard manner that most photographers would apply, is not necessarily sufficient to get an accurate impression of its performance in relation to other systems.

When I returned later to Brisbane, Australia, I tried to hire a D3 with the Nikkor 14-24 lens, which I was very interested in. No chance. The major camera hire company in Brisbane was still fulfilling back orders for the D3, and the Nikkor 14-24 was never going to be available for hire becase its protruding front element prevented the fitting of any protective filter.

The fact is, hiring the latest equipment to make your own tests is not only expensive and time-consuming, it's sometimes not even possible. This is why DXOmark is so useful. Instead of spending half a day battling through Bangkok traffic, or going to the expenses of having equipment for hire shipped from the other end of the country because it's not available at your location of residence, you can sit comfortably on your computer stool and get accurate information on most aspects of camera performance from competent testers with a scientific background who know what they are doing.

For information on the more personal aspects of ergonomics and handling, one can refer to field reports from users of the equipment, such as our host, Michael Reichmann.

If  DXOmark had been available 18 months ago, I could have saved myself hours of stuffing around. When I examine their graphs carefully, comparing the DR and SNR of the D3 versus the 5D, I find their results at ISO 3200 are almost exactly the same as mine. So close in fact, it's uncanny.

DXOmark results at ISO 3200 place the D3 as having 0.42EV higher DR than the 5D. However, they also show that the 5D at ISO 3200 is slightly more sensitive than the D3 (real ISO 2710 for the 5D compared with real ISO 2566 for the D3). The difference is so slight it's insignificant in practical terms, but it's sufficient to bring that O.42EV difference in DR closer to my O.33EV estimate, which is why I say the closeness of the result is uncanny. All my comparisons were made at equal f stop and equal shutter speed. My 100% crops are available on this forum, somewhere, if the search engine is functioning properly.

There's another interesting result from DXOmark regarding these two camera. Whilst everyone seemed to be trumpeting the high-ISO capabilities of the D3 in its early days, that we now realise were much exaggerated, it seems that the more significant performance advantage of the D3 is at base ISO, at ISO 200. Here, DR is a whole stop better than the 5D, even comparing the D3 at ISO 200 with the 5D at ISO 100, or more precisely, the D3 at ISO 162 with the 5D at ISO 92.

This is something I didn't have time to test during the brief time I had to demo the D3. This advantage is also something that wasn't made explicit in the early reviews. For practicing photographers to test different systems thoroughly and at different ISOs by demoing hired equipment at great expense to themselves is not only a huge job but simply inefficient.

Organisations like DXO who share their results with the public should be congratulated. Those who state that DXO results are a load of codswallop are merely displaying their scientific illiteracy. Perhaps they are proud of such illiteracy. Reading a graph is not that difficult, is it?

ejmartin

« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2009, 01:11:44 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
I have severe difficulties grasping the concept of increased DR with downsampling. So, suddenly detail appears in whites or blacks where there wasn't to begin with at a much larger resolution? Is there an explanation for this?

Also the idea of less noise with downsampling though I am willing to accept that sooner. It might be less visible but I am pretty sure the percentage of noise will be the same unless the downsampling is accompanied with noise reduction that tosses away bad pixels/noise first.

I think people are much too fixated on the notion of resampling images to a common size to discuss noise and dynamic range.  The point is that noise is not a single number, it has a spectrum, it is a function of spatial frequency, just as the MTF of a lens varies with spatial frequency.  Noise that is independent from pixel to pixel generates a noise spectrum that (after averaging over angular orientation) is linearly rising with spatial frequency.  For instance, here are noise spectra of the Canon 40 (red) and 50D (blue):

http://theory.uchicago.edu/~ejm/pix/20d/po...epower-norm.png

The 40D, with less resolution, cannot reach the highest spatial frequencies in line pairs per picture height available to the 50D; consequently its noise spectrum cuts off somewhat earlier.  The pixel level noise is the area under the curve; since the 50D curve extends further, it has more pixel level noise.  However, if we fix a scale by picking a particular spatial frequency that both cameras can reproduce, the noise is the same.  The 50D is not a noisier camera than the 40D.

What does downsampling do?  Proper downsampling simply removes all spatial frequencies above the Nyquist frequency of the target image, and chops off the portion of the noise spectrum above that frequency.  I downsampled the 50D image to the 40D pixel dimensions, and this is what happened to the noise spectrum:

Red and Blue as before; Orange is the 50D downsampled with PSCS3 bicubic, black is downsampling with ImageMagick's Lanczos resampling.  The downsampling, especially with Lanczos, quite faithfully reproduces the 40D noise spectrum.  Of course, the downsampling also removed any image detail at spatial frequencies above the Nyquist frequency of the 40D.

However, one needn't have done the downsampling; it was enough to know that the noise power spectra have the same slope to know that the finer resolution camera is not noisier than its lower resolution cousin; one doesn't need to resample to compare noise, one simply needs to level the playing field by fixing a reference spatial frequency and comparing the noise there, much as one can compare MTF's of different lenses at a fixed spatial frequency to see how much detail they render.  This is my interpretation of what DxO does in their "print" tab; they are implicitly choosing a spatial frequency by fixing an output size and doing a mathematically ideal resampling to a reference Nyquist frequency associated to that output size at a standard resolution in dpi (which translates to a given Nyquist in lph).  The resampling is superfluous, all that matters is the comparison at a fixed spatial frequency.

Now, dynamic range is tightly correlated to noise; the technically savvy photographer's working definition of DR is the range of illumination levels having an acceptably large S/N in an image capture.  Since noise is a function of spatial frequency, so is DR (BJL explained this in a somewhat more intuitive way).  Again, downsampling does not increase DR; rather it is changing the spatial scale at which DR is being measured.  DR at a fixed scale largely doesn't care about downsampling, just as the noise of the 50D at a fixed spatial frequency below the target Nyquist didn't change when the image was downsampled.  To compare the DR of two cameras without fixing a common scale or spatial frequency at which to do the comparison, is a largely meaningless exercise.  However, the finer resolution camera need not be downsampled to make the comparison, rather one needs to measure the dependence of DR on spatial frequency.

emil

Ray

« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2009, 02:04:31 am »

Quote from: ejmartin
I think people are much too fixated on the notion of resampling images to a common size to discuss noise and dynamic range.

Well, I'd have to strongly disagree on this point, Emil. The rest of your post makes sense (sort of   ) but is too technical for me to dispute with confidence.

Let's start from facts that we can all agree upon. When we view an image or make a print from a file, that image or print has of necessity a specific size which is absolute. It's not possible to view a print or image which does not have a very precise (absolutely precise) size, unless we apply Einstein's Theory of Relativity and discuss the size of the print from the perspective of a spaceman encircling the earth at a specific velocity. We might not be able to measure the size absolutely precisely, and two images that appear to be the same size might vary by a small fraction of a millimetre. But for practical purposes, their sizes may be considered as absolutely identical.

It makes no sense whatsoever, to compare any technical photographic attributes visually (and I emphasise the word visually) on different size prints, and then make an assessment of the performance of the camera. At postage stamp size, all cameras are the same. At a larger size, differences may become apparent.

In the absence of comparisons of equal size prints (or displayed images), it may be possible to extrapolate the data and deduce what the results might be on a different size print. This is what one has to do when comparing the DR and noise of the D3X when the image is interpolated to the P65+ native size.

However, for the viewer and buyer of any photograph, the qualities of the photograph are entrenched in the physical dimensions of the print. That's what counts and that's all that matters.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:20:48 am by Ray »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2009, 02:22:07 am »

I think people are much too fixated on the notion of resampling images to a common size to discuss noise and dynamic range.  The point is that noise is not a single number, it has a spectrum, it is a function of spatial frequency, just as the MTF of a lens varies with spatial frequency.  Noise that is independent from pixel to pixel generates a noise spectrum that (after averaging over angular orientation) is linearly rising with spatial frequency.  For instance, here are noise spectra of the Canon 40 (red) and 50D (blue):

The 40D, with less resolution, cannot reach the highest spatial frequencies in line pairs per picture height available to the 50D; consequently its noise spectrum cuts off somewhat earlier.  The pixel level noise is the area under the curve; since the 50D curve extends further, it has more pixel level noise.  However, if we fix a scale by picking a particular spatial frequency that both cameras can reproduce, the noise is the same.  The 50D is not a noisier camera than the 40D.

What does downsampling do?  Proper downsampling simply removes all spatial frequencies above the Nyquist frequency of the target image, and chops off the portion of the noise spectrum above that frequency.  I downsampled the 50D image to the 40D pixel dimensions, and this is what happened to the noise spectrum:

Red and Blue as before; Orange is the 50D downsampled with PSCS3 bicubic, black is downsampling with ImageMagick's Lanczos resampling.  The downsampling, especially with Lanczos, quite faithfully reproduces the 40D noise spectrum.  Of course, the downsampling also removed any image detail at spatial frequencies above the Nyquist frequency of the 40D.

However, one needn't have done the downsampling; it was enough to know that the noise power spectra have the same slope to know that the finer resolution camera is not noisier than its lower resolution cousin; one doesn't need to resample to compare noise, one simply needs to level the playing field by fixing a reference spatial frequency and comparing the noise there, much as one can compare MTF's of different lenses at a fixed spatial frequency to see how much detail they render.  This is my interpretation of what DxO does in their "print" tab; they are implicitly choosing a spatial frequency by fixing an output size and doing a mathematically ideal resampling to a reference Nyquist frequency associated to that output size at a standard resolution in dpi (which translates to a given Nyquist in lph).  The resampling is superfluous, all that matters is the comparison at a fixed spatial frequency.

Now, dynamic range is tightly correlated to noise; the technically savvy photographer's working definition of DR is the range of illumination levels having an acceptably large S/N in an image capture.  Since noise is a function of spatial frequency, so is DR (BJL explained this in a somewhat more intuitive way).  Again, downsampling does not increase DR; rather it is changing the spatial scale at which DR is being measured.  DR at a fixed scale largely doesn't care about downsampling, just as the noise of the 50D at a fixed spatial frequency below the target Nyquist didn't change when the image was downsampled.  To compare the DR of two cameras without fixing a common scale or spatial frequency at which to do the comparison, is a largely meaningless exercise.  However, the finer resolution camera need not be downsampled to make the comparison, rather one needs to measure the dependence of DR on spatial frequency.

Thank you, I believe you have just explained what I intuitively felt should be case. I think

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2009, 03:13:38 am »

Dale,
If you consider that demoing a P65+ is the obvious course of action for those considering it, or any other digital back, is there any reason why such an approach should not apply to all cameras? If you think this is true, then, according to you, we could dispense with all technical tests of cameras and just rely upon word of mouth or simply adopt a 'follow the leader' approach.

[snip]...

Ray:

Our opinions differ.  And, it seems, that our "relationships" with our photographic equipment differ as well. That's certainly OK with me.

I do read reviews, and I find that certain sources of said reviews carry more weight for me than do others. I did not suggest that one not read, listen, or look at many resources (including some on-line fora) before buying a back or camera body, etc. I DID say that surrendering to algorithms was not in the best interest of one's photography. I guess I should have added "IMO" at the end of every sentence (or at least, my post), but I don't see others engaging in this practice, so assumed it was understood.

Just to be clear, my "day" job is science oriented as I spend time studying subjects through Leica stereo-zoom microscopes over custom made dark-field illumination assemblies, or through visible light spectroscopes, via UV-VIS spectrophotometers or Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, etc. (and some computer coding as a distraction). Big deal – so can any college student. My point is that I love science and technology. The point of my post was meant as a little reality bump, and a reminder that photogrpahy as a presentational art is not simply about algorithms. At least not for some of us who passionately appreciate that art. I think that you like it too, but I also feel that many here also enjoy the "peacock festival" of matching wits over the technologies of the whole thing. That's fine, of course. I was posting as a venting, and to have a bit of fun to lighten things up a bit.

As for "demoing equipment", I have read your posts regarding MF vs FF DSLRs and how you don't buy into the process of shooting samples and deciding what's best based on one's observations (I apologize if I have incorrectly summarized your ideas here), and I must say that I don't buy it. But that's OK, again, our opinions differ.

I stand by my remark that putting too much trust in sites like Dx0 or other similar "tools" might lead one to a purchase one later regrets or at the least, does not understand. In my case, I have shot the tools that are reasonable considerations for my purposes; I can see the differences in each; and I have purchased what will work for me (within my budget). And before you say that I live where demoing is easy, I'll say that I live in a town of 12,000 people in which there is not one useful camera shop.

As for your remark about testing equipment for street photography in BKK, etc.: there are many ways to "demo" equipment. I live in BKK part-time (I maintain an apartment there) and there are good opportunities for many in that part of the world to see equipment, but hiring (renting) is not always easy. That does not stop someone from shooting in the presence of a salesman, etc. I guess our expectations before acquiring equipment differ greatly. I want comfortable ergonomics, intelligent menus, good image quality based on looking at files from personal tests and those of others whom I trust. (Actually, IMO, most of us never come close to pushing the limits of our equipment, but are limited by our own skills, talents and vision.) The information on sites like Dx0 can be useful, but I trust them as much as I trust our 'elected' officials. Well, that's a bit harsh, but I don't afford them a great deal of trust because I have found that most with a dog in this race have an agenda (or at least, priorities which differ from mine) ... but that's just me.

All in all, good fun. We should all read what we want, test what we want, and shoot what we want. I hope your images fill your heart. I'm not interested in "sport arguing", or forum paint ball battles.

Best,

Dale

Carsten W

« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2009, 04:19:13 am »

Organisations like DXO who share their results with the public should be congratulated. Those who state that DXO results are a load of codswallop are merely displaying their scientific illiteracy. Perhaps they are proud of such illiteracy. Reading a graph is not that difficult, is it?

You say many interesting things and make some good points, but whenever you start arguing against others, you have a really strong tendency re-phrase what they say so that it is no longer representative, and then argue against that instead of the real point being made. In this case, no one here is saying that they can't read graphs. There are some real issues with the DxO measurements, but you ignore those.

When you were arguing with Gabor, you kept misrepresenting what he was saying, and then arguing against this modified version. In fact, he was just pointing out that considering only DR and ignoring resolution doesn't give useful information. You can use noise reduction software to increase *apparent* DR, but the loss in ability to reproduce detail won't make it worth the exercise to most people.

The DxO site lists three values and then gives a single summary number. I once set up three equations in three unknowns to figure out what the weights were (of the form Ax + By + Cz = D), and chose the Leica M8, Nikon D3 and Canon 1Ds3 or something like that, and one of the weights came out negative. DxO really needs to be more open about how they put together these numbers. They make ratings and claims but sometimes what they post makes no sense. If they were open about it, people could point out what doesn't make sense and what needs to be improved. As it is, you get a few numbers describing the cameras but you don't know what they mean, really. That isn't useful.

With respect to the D3x versus MFDBs, I don't yet believe that what they are posting is true in any real-world sense. MFDB results still have that clarity and colour that 35mm cameras from Canon and Nikon can't touch. This isn't anywhere in those numbers, yet they come up with other results which contradict what people see with their own eyes. It isn't enough to say "we measured it" to convince people. They have to be open with the process so that people can reproduce their results.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 04:19:44 am by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

billthecat

« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2009, 05:28:02 am »

I have a 5D2 and a ZD. On DXO the 5D2 rates a tad higher than the ZD on everything at base ISO. But when I check out my photos taken at the same time, the ZD dynamic range feels much greater, especially in the shadows.

It feels like the ZD has many stops more dynamic range than the 5D2 but DXO doesn't show that.

Bill

Ray

« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2009, 07:46:56 am »

As for "demoing equipment", I have read your posts regarding MF vs FF DSLRs and how you don't buy into the process of shooting samples and deciding what's best based on one's observations (I apologize if I have incorrectly summarized your ideas here), and I must say that I don't buy it. But that's OK, again, our opinions differ.

Dale,
You certainly have incorrectly summarised my ideas on demoing equipment. I'll say it again, it should only be necessary in the absence of thorough technical reviews from people who know what they are doing.

I stand by my remark that putting too much trust in sites like Dx0 or other similar "tools" might lead one to a purchase one later regrets or at the least, does not understand. In my case, I have shot the tools that are reasonable considerations for my purposes; I can see the differences in each; and I have purchased what will work for me (within my budget). And before you say that I live where demoing is easy, I'll say that I live in a town of 12,000 people in which there is not one useful camera shop.

It might indeed. If DXO test results are incorrect because their methodology is flawed, or for whatever reason, then one could be led astray in basing a purchase on their test results. I agree completely.

Now, let me ask you, Dale. Do you have any evidence (other than hearsay) which would suggest that DXOmark results are flawed, or to put it bluntly, simply wrong or wildly inaccurate? One can speculate till the cows come home on what might be the case. However, as a scientist, you should know that only hard facts count, not speculation. I can only repeat that all my recent, careful comparisons between cameras match DXO results very closely. I have no reason to suspect their results are dodgy.

Ray

« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2009, 07:59:07 am »

Quote from: carstenw
There are some real issues with the DxO measurements, but you ignore those.

Carstenw,
What are they? If you don't specify them, it's understandable I would ignore them. I'm not a mind-reader.

When you were arguing with Gabor, you kept misrepresenting what he was saying, and then arguing against this modified version. In fact, he was just pointing out that considering only DR and ignoring resolution doesn't give useful information. You can use noise reduction software to increase *apparent* DR, but the loss in ability to reproduce detail won't make it worth the exercise to most people.

I've never ignored resolution. Check my posts again. I've stated more than once that it's understood the P65+ delivers higher resolution than the D3X, on balance. I merely make the point that in the deep shadows of a high SBR scene (high subject-brightness-range scene), that the superior resolution of the P65+ breaks down to the point where the D3X has at least equal resolution and possibly superior resolution, at an extreme pixel-peeping level, as a result of it's superior DR. But only in the deepest shadows of course. If this is incorrect, show me the real-world comparisons that refute it. I have an open mind.

The DxO site lists three values and then gives a single summary number. I once set up three equations in three unknowns to figure out what the weights were (of the form Ax + By + Cz = D), and chose the Leica M8, Nikon D3 and Canon 1Ds3 or something like that, and one of the weights came out negative. DxO really needs to be more open about how they put together these numbers. They make ratings and claims but sometimes what they post makes no sense. If they were open about it, people could point out what doesn't make sense and what needs to be improved. As it is, you get a few numbers describing the cameras but you don't know what they mean, really. That isn't useful.

Is this the source of the confusion? The single number assessments under the 'overview' heading? If you are at all serious you will look at the individual graphs that detail performance at various ISO settings. The single numbers in the overview are weighted. That means there's a subjective element as to the significance of various levels of performance that have been summarised.

For example, it has been established by me, and later confirmed by DXOmark, (that sounds arrogant, but I did show my results first) that the D3 has approximately a 1/3rd to 1/2 a stop DR advantage over the 5D at high ISO. So how come there's such a huge difference in the single number rating for low-light ISO? The D3 is rated at 22.9 and the 5D at 13.68. That's a huge difference. It doesn't seem to corelate with the graphic results under the DR heading. What does DXO mean by the expression 'low-light ISO'? It clearly doesn't mean, 'high-ISO performance'. I've got no idea what subjective elements have influenced these single number ratings. I recommend ignoring them.

(Well, I do have an idea, but no more than an idea. DXO have not produced any extrapolated results for the 5D at ISO 6400 and beyond. The high single-number rating for low-light ISO of the D3 possibly takes into consideration that the D3 has an ISO 6400 setting, an ISO 12,800 and an ISO 25,600 setting, whereas the 5D doesn't have any of those. However, it has perhaps escaped the DXO team that the D3 at ISO 25,600 still has no more than 1/2 a stop greater DR than the 5D underexposed 3 stops at ISO 3200. Perhaps they never tested this. No-one's perfect).

Ray

« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2009, 08:08:39 am »

Quote from: billthecat
I have a 5D2 and a ZD. On DXO the 5D2 rates a tad higher than the ZD on everything at base ISO. But when I check out my photos taken at the same time, the ZD dynamic range feels much greater, especially in the shadows.

It feels like the ZD has many stops more dynamic range than the 5D2 but DXO doesn't show that.

Bill

Now that's definitely something worth exploring. How come you get the 'feeling' that there's more DR in your ZD shots but cannot demonstrate it? Perhaps we're into deep mysticism here.

Without appearing to sound facetious, there must be a rational explanation. I think you should explore this in more detail.

ejmartin

« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2009, 08:22:52 am »

Quote from: billthecat

Bill

I haven't looked at images from the ZD, but there is one aspect of the 5D2 that doesn't show up in DR, SNR, etc: The 5D2 has substantial pattern noise (as do all Canon DSLR's, especially non-1 series).  There is a recent thread over at FM discussing the issue:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/748830
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/748830/15

The pattern noise is quite visually apparent, because it is correlated from pixel to pixel along lines, and our visual perception is designed to pick up on lines and edges.  It is noise because the amplitude fluctuates not from pixel to pixel, but line to line.  As a contribution to the overall noise std dev of a pixel, the pattern noise is a small percentage.  But by averaging along a line the pattern rises well above the overall noise since the pattern noise reinforces along the line while the 2d random noise which is the biggest contributor to the std dev averages out.  Our vision automatically performs this integration and so the pattern noise stands out, even though it makes very little contribution to the std dev of noise and therefore won't appear in the sorts of quantitative tests that DxO does, which are based on pixel std dev's.  Passing through a RAW converter, the demosaic algorithms are designed to preserve edges and patterns and so can enhance the pattern noise.  NR is ineffective.

What is sad is that there are some easy ways to deal with the pattern noise (Nikon has made strides here).  Best is to use cleaner amplifier electronics, since the pattern noise comes from the ISO amplifier/ADC circuitry downstream of the sensor.  One could also provide a border of masked off pixels on the sensor border, use those to detect the line noise, and subtract it off.  Canon doesn't seem interested, since they have let this problem fester for years.
emil

Ray

« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2009, 10:19:29 am »

The 5D2 has substantial pattern noise (as do all Canon DSLR's, especially non-1 series).

5D pattern noise. Ain't that beautiful! I've just created a tapestry with a camera   . For the record, I think that shot might have been taken at ISO half a million or more. It's difficult to be precise   .

[attachment=13925:1628.jpg]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:16:55 am by Ray »

billthecat

« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2009, 11:14:37 am »

My ZD has more DR than my 5D2. It looks rather obvious. I didn't try to test it by looking at numbers and so forth and if you do it takes a lot of effort I assume to do it right. And when you bring up the shadows in the ZD it works much better than the 5D2.

I was taking some difficult shots in a forest with directly sunlight on a face but the rest of the body in shadows. The ZD did quite well with the scene. The ZD feels more like a nice quality motion picture with the 5D2 feeling like a TV show video by comparison. That is sort of how I relate to it.

It is sad that the 5D2 has that pattern noise down bellow. I assume that doesn't show up with DXO.

I almost always use the ZD at ISO 50.

Bill

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up