Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 4.7 and the mac  (Read 23828 times)

Carsten W

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 06:06:33 pm »

Quote from: Snook
OK.. Changed my opinion.
4.7 pretty much sux the big one. Never have I had so many beach balls spinning for every adjustment and constant crashes.
Running OSX 10.5.6 17" MBP with 4 gigs of ram and the whole system seems to slow down..
Is phase going backwards with the updates!!!

CAN someone please tell what the F^^^^HY&**&&k  is the deal with the iages tethered come into the folderas IIQ files and not .TIF extension like before.

Photoshop does not recognized the FY*(*(^*( IIQ files.
I have never even seen a IIQ file until today!!!
How the Hell do you shoot tethered and have the pcitures come in as .TIF insteadof the crap IIQ file????
Figured it out in preferences... anyway to batch the files to .TIF extension after the fact???

Well first day with shooting tethered 4.7 and a nightmare. Thank go it was just a test of a friends daughter!!!

Thanks for heads up.. now I have to change all the freaking file to tif because no one canopenthe files in photoshop...
JEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ
Going back to 4.6.3 right away.

Anybody know if I need to just trash 4.7 and re-install 4.6.3 or is there something else to do?
Thanks in advance.
Total crap 4.7

Snook

You are very funny sometimes  I think the following is a good summary:

With 4.7, I get:

1) Spinning beachballs
2) Crashes
3) I figured out how to change IIQ to TIFF

I am going back to 4.6.3 for now. Does anyone know if there is some way to improve the situation, like re-installing?

You didn't mention which camera you are using. Phase One P30 on Mamiya AFDII?

Any more car shots from your favorite old car site?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:08:28 pm by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 06:09:48 pm »

OK.. Changed my opinion.
4.7 pretty much sux the big one. Never have I had so many beach balls spinning for every adjustment and constant crashes.
Running OSX 10.5.6 17" MBP with 4 gigs of ram and the whole system seems to slow down..
Is phase going backwards with the updates!!!

CAN someone please tell what the F^^^^HY&**&&k  is the deal with the iages tethered come into the folderas IIQ files and not .TIF extension like before.

Photoshop does not recognized the FY*(*(^*( IIQ files.
I have never even seen a IIQ file until today!!!
How the Hell do you shoot tethered and have the pcitures come in as .TIF insteadof the crap IIQ file????
Figured it out in preferences... anyway to batch the files to .TIF extension after the fact???

Well first day with shooting tethered 4.7 and a nightmare. Thank go it was just a test of a friends daughter!!!

Thanks for heads up.. now I have to change all the freaking file to tif because no one canopenthe files in photoshop...
JEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ
Going back to 4.6.3 right away.

Anybody know if I need to just trash 4.7 and re-install 4.6.3 or is there something else to do?
Thanks in advance.
Total crap 4.7

Snook

Preferences > Capture > Extension > IIQ or TIF

FYI IIQ has been an option for many versions. They are changing the default extension (but not removing the option for the other extension) so that users don't confuse the raw TIF format with the processed tiff format. The file format has not been changed, just the last three letters. As you noted you can change the extension and photoshop will recognize it. At some point Photoshop will likely recognize IIQ as a Phase One file; however, that's up to Adobe.

Care to share more details on the beach balls / crashes in 4.7? For instance, did you completely remove 4.6.3 before installing 4.7?

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Doug Peterson

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 06:12:07 pm »

anyway to batch the files to .TIF extension after the fact???

Any batch renaming software such as "Better Renamer" or even the built in OSX Automator can do that.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 07:25:46 pm »

is there something else to do?

[attachment=13224:dppsmile.jpg]

Snook

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2009, 07:50:58 pm »

Quote from: James R Russell
[attachment=13224:dppsmile.jpg]

hahahahahaha
That was great!!!... I like that one, Hopefully it won't come to that..
I am a happy camper.
I shoot with the 1DsMII when I need to, catalogue mainly and everything else is with the P30.
I even take the P30 on Long weekends everywhere I can.
I truly feel that if I am not shooting with it, that I am really short changing myself.

They still have the 3D thingy and 16bit...:+}

In any case enjoyed the humor.
I will give everything and un install and go back to 4.6.3 anyways, I liked it. it was pretty darn smooth and never really crashed on me.

Funny thing is I was shooting with the P30 and the RZIIPROD that was occassionally just not firing for me with no apparent reason, worked from start up until the end of the day perfectly..
By the way I really like the 65mm on the RZ.
Also the lens on the RZ I really like a lot lately. I never shot with it in the film days, I used mainly Pentax 6X7 and Mamiya 645.
In any case they are quite nice with good contrast and sharp.
Just C-1 kind of failed me...;+}

I got beachballs constantly and the program would just crash.. any movement semed to cause a beachball.
I was just getting to enjoy the adjustments with the arrows, nice one.

Snook
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:54:29 pm by Snook »

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2009, 08:52:32 pm »

I had the opposite experience. I shot all day long with 4.7 -- no lag, slowdowns, or crashes.

Jann Lipka

• http://www.lipka.se
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2009, 12:27:40 am »

Josh and others,
Mac10.5.6 issue is about USB port ( DSLRs )  ,
if You use Fire Wire back it should work OK.

From what I see fix list for 10.5.7 mentions only increased "USB sticks compability" .

Memory leaks for tethered USB  shoots seems to be ignored,
I guess the number of tether shooters is a small burp in the  Steves Apple Inc Universe .

Snook

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2009, 12:37:06 pm »

I got a couple of questions:

Still Jerky today even after un installing.
On a MBP 4 gigs ram 17". Latest OSX
Seems more stable on the MacPro but have not put in heavy file through it.

Seems to be really jerky with the QII files.
Anyway of converting the IQII file to the .TIF

Is there any way of Un-installing everything having to do with C-1. I just trashed the application and re-installed.

Hate to go through looking for all the files and hidden files for C-1.
is there any kind of un installer or cleaner for OSX?

Thanks... want this off the MBP for the moment. it is way to jerky.

Snook

Doug Peterson

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2009, 12:57:23 pm »

Snook

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/11/...e-one-4-on-mac/

Official Phase One Recommendation
- Application
- Default Library
- Preferences

My Further Recommendations
- Application Support
- All C1 Proxy Files

James R Russell

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »

I got a couple of questions:

Still Jerky today even after un installing.
On a MBP 4 gigs ram 17". Latest OSX
Seems more stable on the MacPro but have not put in heavy file through it.

Seems to be really jerky with the QII files.
Anyway of converting the IQII file to the .TIF

Is there any way of Un-installing everything having to do with C-1. I just trashed the application and re-installed.

Snook

This is none of my bidness, but why not just use 3.7.  It's rock stable (at least of 10.4) and capture to final process is always going to be different anyway.

As Doug says, as far as renaming, get better finder renamer and just add a .TIF extention to your existing file name and it will go into photoshop or any third party processor.

On set I'm all about what works and what doesn't and there is no time for experimenting with software.

I've been there done that with Leaf V8 (which was dead solid and ran on any computer) to LC10 which made me want to find a highway and lie down in the passing lane.  Actually sold the Leafs just because of LC10, though now LC 11 is stable from everything I hear.

I could kick myself for upgrading from v8 to lc anything because it worked and I had zero issues with it, going to the latest and greatest just cost me a ton of money changing systems for no real change in image quality.  My Phase backs are solid and work with 3.7 and I'll stay with that because that is the only reason I ever changed backs anyway, the workflow, not the image.

I kid about going to a vista machine, but once apple moved to 10.5 nothing seems that stable and I just couldn't put up with trying to tether the Canons and having any issues, so I bought a dell, loaded up EOS utilities and never looked back.

As far as C1 v3 vs. v4, on set no client will know that the previews look 20% better or smoother, but they will notice if the system crashes and you spend a lot of time trying to get up and running.

Old software always works safer than new software . . . always.

JRR

Doug Peterson

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2009, 01:17:54 pm »

Quote from: James R Russell
This is none of my bidness, but why not just use 3.7.

[...]

As far as C1 v3 vs. v4, on set no client will know that the previews look 20% better or smoother, but they will notice if the system crashes and you spend a lot of time trying to get up and running.

JRR

Would they notice the following?
- there isn't screen moire
- on a 30" monitor the previews aren't fuzzy
- you can quickly compare partial frames (zooming in on up to 8 images to compare details like facial expression or focus fall-off)
- you can restore detail to a blown highlight (in conditions where you could not alter the lighting)
- the previews appear faster
- the image can be set to come in with your styling (contrast, color editor, saturation, etc) without ever showing the unstyled image
- hundreds of small touches added in the last few months to refine the software

Phase gave itself a black eye with early version of C1 and a few major misteps. However, C1 4.7 is now the best tethering software available and is only getting better.

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2009, 01:18:38 pm »

I was having problems with C1 4.7 crashing all the time after I shot a job tethered on my Macbook (white) with a 5Dmk2 (which also crashed at file #95). I seemed to fix the problem by holding Option down when starting up the program and creating a new session database. I also noticed it helped when I set an empty folder as the Capture folder. This doesn't exactly help the tethering issue, but I was experiencing mostly crashing after the shoot was done and I was processing. Hope that helps anybody here.

Snook

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2009, 01:21:35 pm »

Well definitely going back..
It is so darn Jerky I cannot even use it....

Will go back to 4.6.3 and see if it is better.
4.6.3 was pretty flawless for me.

Will post result.
Anybody esle notice a HUGE slow down with 4.7 on Laptops??
It is completely non useable. Reminds me of the first Aperture crap.. was completely useless...
Wow what a bummer...
Every little click or if I click to change images.. instant beach ball for a second... Irritating to say the least.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Snook

Doug Peterson

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2009, 01:50:04 pm »

Will post result.
It is completely non useable. Reminds me of the first Aperture crap.. was completely useless...
Wow what a bummer...
Every little click or if I click to change images.. instant beach ball for a second... Irritating to say the least.

Snook

That is not in any way normal. When you first browse to a folder created prior to 4.7 for the first time in 4.7 it will take 1-4 seconds per file (depending on computer speed and raw file size) to regenerate the cache files for the raw files. During this time performance will suck. However, once it's up and running (and assuming it was installed cleanly) the performance is stellar. Switching between full res P65+ images on a 2.4Ghz last gen laptop takes about 0.6 seconds to fully render (with a pretty decent rough preview nearly instantly). Making adjustments to an image is nearly instant (maybe 0.1-0.2 seconds?).

If you're not experiencing that performance you need to uninstall and reinstall per my article I linked to. Then keep in mind the cache rebuild when you first navigate to a folder.

Of course you can go back to 4.6.3; I just want to make sure you know that you are not getting normal results.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 01:51:43 pm by dougpetersonci »

James R Russell

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 01:59:35 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Would they notice the following?
- there isn't screen moire
- on a 30" monitor the previews aren't fuzzy
- you can quickly compare partial frames (zooming in on up to 8 images to compare details like facial expression or focus fall-off)
- you can restore detail to a blown highlight (in conditions where you could not alter the lighting)
- the previews appear faster
- the image can be set to come in with your styling (contrast, color editor, saturation, etc) without ever showing the unstyled image
- hundreds of small touches added in the last few months to refine the software

Phase gave itself a black eye with early version of C1 and a few major misteps. However, C1 4.7 is now the best tethering software available and is only getting better.

Yes, they will notice some of what you say, but after they leave the set those thoughts are 100% forgotten.  They will remember if you lost an hour trying to get things running, anything.

I am all for Phase upgrading their software and 3.7 had some flaws, especialy the brittle previews, but it was also rock solid and rock solid pays the bills.

Phase will get it right, Leaf got LC11 right, I'm sure Hasselblad will someday have a file that works in all processors and gets it right, but until then we have to use what works, not what is going to work or not what needs a class to learn.

Everybody is hustling right now . . . actually in this biz everybody has always been hustling and getting the job done is a whole lot more important that having more options, because any client knows that once you get to post production, it's all going to change a great deal.

Fuzzy moire ridden previews or not, let's be realistic, 3.7 was always like that and about 10 billiion photographs were shot into that software.  Let's also be realistic that during the 3.7 days, no Phase dealer mentioned the negatives, they talked the positives.

It's only since 4. whatever is out that we hear how bad 3.7 was.  

But as far as "previews" go, load up eos utlities and set the preview to full screen.  Those are nice previews and that software is free.

JRR

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2009, 02:00:57 pm »

Will post result.
Wow what a bummer...

Snook

Well once I got the session thing figured out, 4.7 has been pretty zippy for me. I'll probably just not shoot tethered into C1 and go back to Canon Utility or whatever it's called and keep C1 as a file processor.

Snook

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2009, 02:05:49 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
That is not in any way normal. When you first browse to a folder created prior to 4.7 for the first time in 4.7 it will take 1-4 seconds per file (depending on computer speed and raw file size) to regenerate the cache files for the raw files. During this time performance will suck. However, once it's up and running (and assuming it was installed cleanly) the performance is stellar. Switching between full res P65+ images on a 2.4Ghz last gen laptop takes about 0.6 seconds to fully render (with a pretty decent rough preview nearly instantly). Making adjustments to an image is nearly instant (maybe 0.1-0.2 seconds?).

If you're not experiencing that performance you need to uninstall and reinstall per my article I linked to. Then keep in mind the cache rebuild when you first navigate to a folder.

Of course you can go back to 4.6.3; I just want to make sure you know that you are not getting normal results.

Thanks doug and James for the help.
On MacPro it is quite zippy an no problems reall so far.
On the Macbook Pro it is USeless at the moment and I do not know why.
Throwing out a bone here, but could have anything to do with that I shot tethered to the laptop and they were QII files and not tiff?? That is th only differnce I can think of.
WIll try and do a complete un install of all C-1 files.
Thanks for trying to help
Snook

James R Russell

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »

Thanks for trying to help
Snook

I think I should clarify.  I don't think v4 is bad, I actually use it for a lot of my processing, but tethering on the day, is another matter and until the updates settle down I won't even think about using it or any other new software on set.

It's just the process and Adobe with all their resource is not immune to issues so it's not a knock on phase it's just the way new systems seems to work in digital land.

JRR

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2009, 04:57:29 pm »

Phase One's software is excellent, but it seems stuck in a perpetual beta state.
I think they should do a development freeze, and get one version stable before they continue.

Edmund

Will post result.
Wow what a bummer...

Snook
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Doug Peterson

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2009, 06:34:47 pm »

Quote from: eronald
Phase One's software is excellent, but it seems stuck in a perpetual beta state.
I think they should do a development freeze, and get one version stable before they continue.

Edmund

The problem is because the functionality depends on hardware, firmware, the operating system / drivers it can be hard to gauge when a version is stable. Often the more stable a version, the more people elect to try it out and therefore by definition the more people will report problems.

Add to this the fact that Capture One can misbehave if you install "over" the previous version rather than removing and installing cleanly. Then add on top of that the niche nature which makes it hard to just "google" an answer to a question you have (google is and always will be the best user manual for any software which is highly popular - compare how long it takes to find a keyboard shortcut in Photoshop, the meaning of a setting in OSX, or a formula usage in Excel in google compared to it's user manual). I spend 24/7 living this stuff and it can be hard to keep my user's informed.

JR has it absolutely right that when it comes to tethering you pick a setup, tune it in, test the hell out of it, and then freeze it until there is a compelling reason to upgrade. That last part is relative of course; to me there are at least a dozen compelling reasons to upgrade your workflow to 4.7, but like ANY switch in your tethered workflow it is not fast/easy to do so correctly (with testing and proper practice).

As far as stability I think 4.7 is doing pretty great (image rotation aside). The number and magnitude of problems you see reported on this forum are actually a really poor way to judge the quality/stability of a particular version. Trust me; I take and make dozens of calls each week on this specific issue. I'm not saying 4.7 is completely free of problems (what software is?) nor am I denying that the Snook and others are having problems but rather saying that their problems are not jiving with my customers with whom I have more direct interaction.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:36:13 pm by dougpetersonci »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up