Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Framing and Mating Supply sources - Canada  (Read 3034 times)

nanjeca

Framing and Mating Supply sources - Canada
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:17:23 pm »

Hi all

I realize I can mail-order (ok, now e-order) anything from anywhere these days, but...

In the various videos that MR has produced, he typically mentions sources in the US. To Canada, this means increased shipping and of course, border issues. Does anyone have recommendations for suppliers IN CANADA for Rising mat boards, foam board, Acrylite sheets (glass replacement), put together yourself, aluminum frames, and the various types of recommended tapes )Tyvek, Transfer, filmoplast P90, and tape dispenser, 3in print mounting corners, etc. etc)

Any help would be appreciated

mike

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:46:42 pm »

nanjeca

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:39:18 pm »

Thanks for the link - However, the largest mat appears to be cut sheets up to 20x24, thus they are of no use to me as I am looking for full sheets, plus the specific brands as recommended, such as Rising White, which they do not market.

Are there any other suggestions??

mike

framah

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:45:14 pm »

What you want to do is go over to this website the grumble
and ask over there. There are a few framers from Canada on the site. I'm sure they can help you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:45:37 pm by framah »
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

nanjeca

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 06:00:31 am »

Thanks for the suggestion to post to Grumble. Tried that, got lots of views and no responses. Is there anyone doing their own framing in Canada?

mike

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:12:16 am »

I’ve found that people at the grumble can be a little stand offish, but you can always search there for references to Canada, or even your province there and you’ll find some references. If not, find some folks at the Grumble from locations in Canada and send them a PM with your questions.

Another approach would be to contact a manufacturer, such as Crescent or Bainbridge, as examples, and ask them for distributors in your area. Shipping costs being what they are, there is usually a notable savings if bought local.

Yet another approach would be to go to a local gallery or two and ask where they get their materials.

Also when you shop, one of the things to ask is where the volume purchase discounts are. I found that box lot gives about the sweet spot for overall cost vs. affordability in my purchasing range, but definitely talk with them about this to see where they offer discounts.

Panopeeper

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:22:45 am »

It is not a "recommendation", for I am illiterate in these issues, but OPUS has several stores in BC and offers shipping as well. It has a huge shop on the Grenville Island in Vancouver mainly for painters, from there I know that they have lots of papers, mattes, frames and related supplies.
Gabor

Paul Eby

• http://www.digitalokpphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 12:05:38 pm »

We deal with these companies.

Larson Juhl

Frameguild

framah

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:27:35 pm »

Check back over at the Grumble. There are a few responses for you.

It sometimes takes a bit for someone to notice
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up