Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P25 vs Aptus 22 vs Aptus 54s vs P25+  (Read 7609 times)

archivue

P25 vs Aptus 22 vs Aptus 54s vs P25+
« on: April 17, 2009, 07:24:31 pm »

what's best back of the bunch for use with an arca camera and digital lens ?

main subjects being  architecture and still life, i believe that the Aptus 22  offers a better screen and a direct shoot (no wake up cable)...
the difference between th 22 and the 54S doesn't make sense for architecture (just better speed rate, and lillte bit better live view and FW800), so considering the difference in price, i think that in my case an aptus 22 is a better deal...

Di i miss something ?

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:06:33 pm »

Yea the P25 plus back is amazing but i am prejudice and mine is for sale. Only for one reason to gain a extra stop . So just ignore me but if you need a fairly long exposure you will want a Plus back . The P25 plus does easy 30 minutes at least.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 10:25:32 pm »

Quote from: archivue
what's best back of the bunch for use with an arca camera and digital lens ?

main subjects being  architecture and still life, i believe that the Aptus 22  offers a better screen and a direct shoot (no wake up cable)...
the difference between th 22 and the 54S doesn't make sense for architecture (just better speed rate, and lillte bit better live view and FW800), so considering the difference in price, i think that in my case an aptus 22 is a better deal...

Di i miss something ?

I have both the 54S and the 22 and the 54S isn't for you. Although the 54S and the 22 share the same chip, you pay a price for 54S's speed with extra noise, 22's files are visibly cleaner at iso 200 and above. In my case I sometimes need the extra speed.

Someone else has to chime in on the actual difference between the 25 and the 25+ besides the long exposure, all I can offer is that I opted for the Leaf products after trying out the 25, I thought that the 22 had better tones.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

archivue

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:26:23 pm »

thanks for your answers !

so, anybody compares P25+ to Aptus 22 ?

i think i will go with the Aptus 22...

PS to Guy Mancuso : i'm living in france, so i'm not a potential buyer for your back, sorry !

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 12:05:46 am »

No worries about that one . I just did not want to influence you with any comment i have on the P25 plus since it may sound self serving. Personally between the two i would still pick the Phase p25 plus any day over the leaf. I like C1 and that is part of any purchase is sales, support, software and workflow plus the functionality of the gear. Besides its built like a tank and never ever lost one shot from a back issue. I like the batteries on the side as well instead of underneath the back. But that is my preferences and we all have different ways of working and have different needs or wants.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

yaya

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 02:48:25 am »

Quote from: archivue
thanks for your answers !

so, anybody compares P25+ to Aptus 22 ?

i think i will go with the Aptus 22...

The best advice I can give is to try and put both backs on your Arca-Swiss so you can appreciate the difference in sharpness and shadow/ highlight detail as well as colour casts behaviour and workflow. I'd also look at the quality and speed of the Live View function when tethered.

Having a grid on the LCD can also be useful at times, especially for architecture.

Yair
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:20:31 am by yaya »

Snook

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:20:11 pm »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
No worries about that one . I just did not want to influence you with any comment i have on the P25 plus since it may sound self serving. Personally between the two i would still pick the Phase p25 plus any day over the leaf. I like C1 and that is part of any purchase is sales, support, software and workflow plus the functionality of the gear. Besides its built like a tank and never ever lost one shot from a back issue. I like the batteries on the side as well instead of underneath the back. But that is my preferences and we all have different ways of working and have different needs or wants.

To add to your comment, I was completely turned off by the Fan!! Just another part to break down and image all the dust that can get up in there if ever on location.
I also agree the Phase backs are pretty tankish and solid.
I have differ opnion about the skin tones as I feel the A22 files always look to warm and dark and overly denoised. Not sure if that is just the over retouching of the photographer or what.
I also do a lot of retouching but am more for the white tones.
Also C-1 is pretty un beatableif you asked me.
Both are great backs and cost hardly nothing compared to even 6 months ago.

Snook

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 12:54:48 pm »

I feel that I have to add this to my previous post, I have 3 Leaf backs and waiting for my 4th, never had any issues with them and their service has been top notch when I needed assistance with changing mounts or technical questions regarding the backs. I don't own a studio and shoot either outdoors or on location, often in remote places where reliability is often more important than anything else, to this date I have nothing to complain about the performance of the backs.

Personally I find the Leaf software more to my liking than C1 v3.x that I tried and did not care for.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 12:58:06 pm »

Quote from: ddk
Personally I find the Leaf software more to my liking than C1 v3.x that I tried and did not care for.

Just be sure to look at both C1 3 and C1 4.7 before you make a choice. They are very different programs.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

yaya

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 03:19:57 pm »

Quote from: Snook
To add to your comment, I was completely turned off by the Fan!! Just another part to break down and image all the dust that can get up in there if ever on location.

Snook

Fans are not an issue, period. We've had fans in our backs since 1994 mind you.

I've been using laptops since 300 BC and never had fan issues whatever the conditions.

They also help in providing the best Live View in the market.

Yair

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 03:29:34 pm »

Hi

Did you look at the Aptus 65 and P30? They are slight more crop sensors @ 44x33mm vs. crop of 48x36mm for the ones you mention. I went with a new Aptus 65 early last year instead of a used Aptus 22. Because of the slight more crop, the 65 and 30 seem lower priced. I suggest you check prices. Also the price difference between Phase-One and Leaf in your local area may decide your choice, and spending this money you should buy from an agent who will give support and sell you a reliable back. The Aptus 65 is identical to Aptus 75 in image quality, except size of sensor. The P30 has microlenses, thus will not work with lens movements. The 65 and 30 are newer sensor technologies.

Also, I prefer Leaf for the large display. Phase feels a bit more like a DSLR in use. It is personal. While P1 tend to bake their P+ series, drop from baloons and park cars over them, Leaf backs are built like tanks but would perhaps not stand such extremes. Few people need more than ruggedness of Leaf. Yet, choice between them are often personal.

I should say I found the Phase files feeling like looking at a slide on computer display, while the Leaf files feel more film photographic in a graphic way. I preferred the Leaf. It has been flawless so far. A very great digital product. Color balance are normally very good already at defaults when I open in CS4. I also tried in Aperture with same results.

Here is a post I did early last year questioning of Leaf vs. Phase One. It gave many excellent replies of differences and preference between the two brands - http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....c=22701&hl=

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:31:58 pm by Anders_HK »

archivue

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 07:08:39 pm »

Quote from: Anders_HK
Did you look at the Aptus 65

Thanks for your input !

i believe that the Aptus 65 doens't react as well as the 22 when using camera movements...

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 04:28:43 am »

The fan is a nonissue for breakdown.
I'm using my back every day and never had a problem with it.
However I also shot in the desert in the blistering sun and I don't know what another back would do but I'm sure the fan helped out in that situation or at least it gave me a good feeling.

About skin-tones, I personally feel that the Dalsa chip is one of the best for skin tones.
I tried a phase one and imacon before I decided to test the leaf and from what I saw the skin-tones on the leaf were the best out of the box with a simple white-balance card.
I don't know where the phrase overly noise compensated comes from (maybe not knowing how to set the raw convertor), I use the leaf capture software to process the files to 16 bits TIFF before opening them in photoshop and the files are gorgeous, no noise reduction artifacts what so ever, especially the ISO50 and ISO25 files are great, the phase files I tested are also very nice don't get me wrong but 99% of my work is with models and for that work I prefer the Leaf over the others.
But I would work with both without a problem.

Progress in sensors will go on and every generation will improve but somehow I don't really feel for the kodak sensors, the Dalsa I absolutely love.
But that can change of course with new generations.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 04:32:10 am by Frank Doorhof »
Pages: [1]   Go Up