Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibly need to replace H3D-39 IR filter  (Read 3270 times)

photolinia

Possibly need to replace H3D-39 IR filter
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:32:46 pm »

Hello.

I've written to this forum recently about cleaning my H3DII-39 sensor...  After unsuccessfully trying the blower and the arctic butterfly brush,
I tried to use Eclipse liquid solution, but was unable to remove the particles.
I now suspect that these "particles" may sadly be tiny scratches on the IR filter.  Not sure how I got them as I never remove the back from the camera - perhaps they were already there when I bought it...

They can be seen with a closed aperture, which I do not use very often, and even then, they are not very big and can be taken out in PS.
From what I've heard, replacing the IR filter is very expensive, but I would like to know what my options are - other then to ignore it (which is probably what I'll be doing)...

I am located in Los Angeles and I do not know the nearest dealer I should contact.  To replace the IR filter would I have to send it to Europe?  How much should I expect to pay for IR filter replacement?

Thanks!
-ilya

Nick_T

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:56:25 pm »

Quote from: photolinia
Hello.

I've written to this forum recently about cleaning my H3DII-39 sensor...  After unsuccessfully trying the blower and the arctic butterfly brush,
I tried to use Eclipse liquid solution, but was unable to remove the particles.
I now suspect that these "particles" may sadly be tiny scratches on the IR filter.  Not sure how I got them as I never remove the back from the camera - perhaps they were already there when I bought it...

They can be seen with a closed aperture, which I do not use very often, and even then, they are not very big and can be taken out in PS.
From what I've heard, replacing the IR filter is very expensive, but I would like to know what my options are - other then to ignore it (which is probably what I'll be doing)...

I am located in Los Angeles and I do not know the nearest dealer I should contact.  To replace the IR filter would I have to send it to Europe?  How much should I expect to pay for IR filter replacement?

Thanks!
-ilya

I'm not sure it's that expensive but am pretty sure it'll have to go back to Europe.
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:18:24 pm »

This happened to me using the same brush.. not sure i am going to use the brush anymore. It had to go back to Europe for 6 weeks and cost about 500 or 600 dollars

Quote from: Nick_T
I'm not sure it's that expensive but am pretty sure it'll have to go back to Europe.
Nick-T

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:08:29 am »

Wasn't sending the thing for cleaning the IR filter cheaper, in which most cases the filter got changed anyway?  You can also contact Hasselblad USA and send it to them after you have received a RMA number from them.

I never used the arctic butterfly so I cannot tell whether that could be the culprit (I only use the blower or the fluid). I never had scratches but my 384 had fungus under the glass which obviously could not be removed by me either.

photolinia

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 02:27:16 am »

Thanks!!

Actually $500-600 is not that bad.  A friend of mine had to replace the IR filter on his APS_C sized Canon 40D and it cost $300, I assumed
that H3D would be at least 10X that...

I'll contact Hasselblad USA.

-ilya
Pages: [1]   Go Up