Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shad season  (Read 2817 times)

Randy Carone

Shad season
« on: April 04, 2009, 03:20:14 pm »

I live in Lambertville, NJ, a small town on the Delaware River. There is one family who still have netting rights since they have not missed a Shad season in ~110 years. It is a great place to shoot in late-March, and April. Here are a couple of images from Lewis Island. The window is the shed where they bring the Shad to weigh, clean and sell the fish. No game fish can be kept so trout, bass, turtles, etc. get tossed back. Occasionally, they have chefs who buy carp and catfish, but the haul is usually Shad. This is my first upload of photos. I'd like some advice on how to square up the window on the right side of the image. Thanks

edit - I notice that the window appears redder when I post it and the other image is a bit too dark. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:24:51 pm by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Shad season
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 04:13:21 pm »

I had similar off-colour problems with some submissions and was told to save the files as sRGB to post and that corrected the colour problems (improved the warmer tones - reds, oranges)

Andrew

[size=12p

button

• http://
Shad season
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:55:03 pm »

Quote from: Randy Carone
I'd like some advice on how to square up the window on the right side of the image. Thanks

First of all, I like both shots, especially the second.  For the first, you might want to burn the corners to add emphasis to the window.  As far as squaring it up, I think you are dealing with lens distortion.  You can try either the lens correction filter or "warp" under the free transform function in photoshop to fix that.

John

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
Shad season
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 06:31:21 pm »

I love the first one - the contrast between warm and cool colours is great.
Bill

Jeremy Payne

Shad season
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 07:12:15 pm »

PT Lens is a relatively inexpensive application that will automatically correct lens distortion if the lens is in the database - and many are.

Photoshop also has a lens correction filter, but it isn't "automatic" ... looks to my eye like something around +7 to +9 on the slider on that filter might straighten you right up!

Richowens

Shad season
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 09:02:36 pm »

[attachment=12731:lewis_window_pt.jpg]

Here you go, courtesy of PTLens.

Rich

Randy Carone

Shad season
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:12:03 am »

button,

Thanks, warp did it

I also toned down the blue a bit. I can't decide if it loses too much of the nocturnal feel that it had in the first version.

Thanks for the suggestion to try PT lens - I'll check out the trial.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:16:11 am by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone
Pages: [1]   Go Up