Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best tool for focus merge  (Read 4829 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Best tool for focus merge
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:41:03 am »

Hi,

I just read about Helicon Focus on Joseph Holmes site and decided to retest it. Anyone having experience with other tools for focus merge and having opinions? It seem that Autopano Pro can do focus merge but I didn't find any documentation on it.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

alain

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:59:34 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

I just read about Helicon Focus on Joseph Holmes site and decided to retest it. Anyone having experience with other tools for focus merge and having opinions? It seem that Autopano Pro can do focus merge but I didn't find any documentation on it.

Best regards
Erik

I did some tests with CombineZP it's freeware and the results can be very good.  

Alain

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:55:39 am »

Helicon is so far ahead of the rest right now that it is the new defacto standard IMHO...
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:25:56 pm »

CS4 can do focus blending with Auto-Blend Layers.  You might want to Auto-Align Layers first.  Not quite as good as some others, but OK for many things.  IMHO none of the focus blending programs really works as good as one could hope, ghosting around nearby objects can be pretty severe in all of them.  Minor focus offsets like from the infinity and 30 feet work fine, but infinity and 2 feet is always unsatisfactory (even if you have lots of intermediate focus points).  Combine ZP (and probably others) can generate and save intermediate masks that can help you touch things up a bit, but that's a big job even with the masks.

For landscape work I usually prefer two or more auto-aligned layers, blended together with a soft edge masks.  I have noticed that PTGui with usually do the right thing focus wise with two-row stitches where the focus points in the top and bottom rows are different.
Edit...and also for blending multi row landscapes with different focus points CS4's Auto-Blend works great when applied to panos brought into CS4 as individual layers, it seems to actively apply some sort of sharpest layer rule when blending.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:55:57 pm by bill t. »

pminicucci

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:34:30 pm »

FWIW, I did some minor tests over the weekend, using CS4 and then Helicon Focus. I tested two series of shots, one at 10 frames and the other at 12. The subject was flowers, indoors, so there was no wind. Camera was on a tripod, using f/2.8 to minimize the DOF of each shot. CS4 did a passable job but did require that I adjust the stacking masks. Helicon Focus was pretty close to perfect.
Best,
Pat

Snook

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:19:53 pm »

Quote from: pminicucci
FWIW, I did some minor tests over the weekend, using CS4 and then Helicon Focus. I tested two series of shots, one at 10 frames and the other at 12. The subject was flowers, indoors, so there was no wind. Camera was on a tripod, using f/2.8 to minimize the DOF of each shot. CS4 did a passable job but did require that I adjust the stacking masks. Helicon Focus was pretty close to perfect.

Does anybody know if Helicon focus works with >TIF phaseone files directly like Photomatix?
Thanks for any answers.
Snook

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:02:01 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Does anybody know if Helicon focus works with >TIF phaseone files directly like Photomatix?
Thanks for any answers.
Snook

Not sure about photomatix, but it does work with phaseone tif files.  I had a couple glitches with using 7 100+mb files, but I think they recently did an update
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

MarkL

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:23:28 am »

Quote from: bill t.
For landscape work I usually prefer two or more auto-aligned layers, blended together with a soft edge masks.  I have noticed that PTGui with usually do the right thing focus wise with two-row stitches where the focus points in the top and bottom rows are different.
Edit...and also for blending multi row landscapes with different focus points CS4's Auto-Blend works great when applied to panos brought into CS4 as individual layers, it seems to actively apply some sort of sharpest layer rule when blending.

CS4 does work well with panos with different focus points (unlike other pano tools) but I'm not seeing any "sharpest layer rule" when it blends.

I either have to make sure that everything is in focus on every frame (via multiple frames focus blended in helicon) or go in and crop out anything out of focus in any of the pano layers before blending.
Pages: [1]   Go Up