Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle Sugar Cane 300gsm  (Read 24773 times)

artfulcolor

• http://www.artfulcolor.com
Hahnemuhle Sugar Cane 300gsm
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 12:33:48 pm »

Tom,

I understand your struggle. I think many of the manufacturers respond in fear more than in trying to address issues. It has been a big struggle to get the information necessary to put this article together.

I'm not real familiar with roller issues on the HPZ printers. I owned one for a year and sold it. I've been very interested in the Canon printer and heard great things about it but have stuck with the Epson because it is a known good performer. So many of the paper coatings are designed with the Epson in mind.

The challenge with the coatings is that the more ink is absorbed the less the D-max. The more the ink is on the surface the higher the D-max but the slower the ink dries and ends up on the rollers. HP is an expert in thermal print heads. There are limitations to the type of ink you can put in a thermal print head. I think this may be a source of the problem.

Regards - Damon

Quote from: dandeliondigital
Hi Damon,
Well, I consider myself an artist first, but I have to be extremely technical, as a digital photographer, master printer and all around computer guru and IT guy. I may not like being that technical but I have to respect those hats or else the results show the lack of understanding totally.

IMO, when it comes to the paper, I'd say it's mostly how it looks and performs. That's what artist's want in the product first, followed by other factors.

I'm worried, being an HPZ user, how it will specifically perform in my printer.

A good example of what I mean is expressed in my testing of Hahnemmuhle Bamboo. This is the only paper that gives me consistent roller marks in the blacks, even after I got the black pinch rollers replaced to the tan pinch rollers in my HPZ. I never hear anyone else on this forum say that. I am wondering: Why am I getting this. HP is of no help. I wrote to Hahnemmuhle, but they did not respond. So no matter how untechnical or artistic I want to be, unless I want roller marks, that paper will not be used in my printer.

Sigh. I personally feel that there are too many hurdles sometimes, and there are too few sources of any good focussed information, let alone any really good technical information. All the manufacturers are businesses first and they want you to buy buy buy and they do not work well together. They may even form alliances, but there aren't any guarantees. It's buyer beware, and bring lots of money, and time, and patience to this picnic.

Sorry, if I seem bitter, but I guess you might say that I am.

So long for now, TOM

artfulcolor

• http://www.artfulcolor.com
Hahnemuhle Sugar Cane 300gsm
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 12:08:36 am »

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread any longer. It took well over 200 hours but I've finished the report on "Environmental Sustainability in Fine Art Printing". It took much work but I learned everything I've ever wanted to know about ink and media.

I'm hoping to do an article about the report in Art Business News. I'm only sharing it with people I know until I get some PR on the thing. I'd like to get some mileage out of it before the competition gets it.

Regards,

Damon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up