Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Figuring the ink cost for printing  (Read 3493 times)

craig Coppola

Figuring the ink cost for printing
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:27:55 pm »

I have the Epson 9880 and would like to know if there is a actual method to determining the actual cost per ML.  What I do is take the $78 (cost of 220ml cart) and divide by 220ml which gives me $.36 per ml. I times .36 by 20% = approx .07 (added for misc. waiste).  So my total per ML is approx $.43

I am trying to figure out if this is the correct way or if I am completely off.

Also, I can print out a job report for the last 10 jobs and it shows me the breakdown of  each color and how much ink was used (Assuming this is what it means).

I then add up the total ML used for any particular print job and times the total by $.43.  Would this then give me my cost for the ink for the job???

Thank you so much in advance for any input/feedback...craig

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:49:17 pm »

Don't forget to add in ink spent cleaning nozzles, and that which is consumed making reject prints and test prints.  And whatever the printer uses up each time it's turned on.  Also what it costs to ship the ink.  Etc.

I have never broken it down meticulously, but for ballpark use I figure about a buck a square foot for a reasonable per-print ink cost.  A little less than quality media for the same area.  Varies with image density, light images use less ink.

RafalA

• http://www.rafalandronowski.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 04:46:18 am »

That's what I do as well. I think it works - or so the logical side of my brain thinks.

In addition, I also keep a detailed log (not the one the printer keeps - I just got a 3800 and had an HP B9180 before) of what I printed, the print size (not paper, but inked area), etc. This way I have a reasonably accurate record of what print used how much ink and what was wasted. I can figure out my costs from there.

dalethorn

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:16:31 pm »

Quote from: craig Coppola
I have the Epson 9880 and would like to know if there is a actual method to determining the actual cost per ML.  What I do is take the $78 (cost of 220ml cart) and divide by 220ml which gives me $.36 per ml. I times .36 by 20% = approx .07 (added for misc. waiste).  So my total per ML is approx $.43
I am trying to figure out if this is the correct way or if I am completely off.
Also, I can print out a job report for the last 10 jobs and it shows me the breakdown of  each color and how much ink was used (Assuming this is what it means).
I then add up the total ML used for any particular print job and times the total by $.43.  Would this then give me my cost for the ink for the job???
Thank you so much in advance for any input/feedback...craig

I buy HP ink cartridges - 3 color and 1 black for about $100 u.s. I get about 70 pages total, 8-1.2 x 11 inches from those cartridges, which is about $1.45 per page. Add $.75 for paper, and I'm spending $2.20 per print, not counting failures that have to be reprinted, which brings the average up to about $3.00.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:36:13 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
I buy HP ink cartridges - 3 color and 1 black for about $100 u.s. I get about 70 pages total, 8-1.2 x 11 inches from those cartridges, which is about $1.45 per page. Add $.75 for paper, and I'm spending $2.20 per print, not counting failures that have to be reprinted, which brings the average up to about $3.00.

No offense meant, but don't you (the OP) have something better to do than calculate ink costs? Who gives a darn? But, if you really care, shouldn't you calculate costs separately for each ink color?

Peter

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 01:42:36 pm »

Your numbers look good compared to what I've factored over the years.  I think adding 20% waste is about right, if slightly on the high end. From data I've collected the cost per sq/ft on photographic paper assuming a high degree of coverage is around $.66 sqft  assuming market rate for 220ml inks and an average cleaning routine. (Your milage may vary.)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:43:32 pm by Mussi_Spectraflow »
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

Tklimek

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 03:31:34 pm »

So it sounds like the average of $1 per square foot should be good and cover most bases; maybe even on the high side.  Add $2 or $3 for paper and reprints, and you are probably around $10 a print (depending on paper size, type, etc.).  In any case, the cost to mat or double mat, provide a foamboard, and a clear bag or frame DWARF's these costs!

;-)

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: Mussi_Spectraflow
Your numbers look good compared to what I've factored over the years.  I think adding 20% waste is about right, if slightly on the high end. From data I've collected the cost per sq/ft on photographic paper assuming a high degree of coverage is around $.66 sqft  assuming market rate for 220ml inks and an average cleaning routine. (Your milage may vary.)

dalethorn

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:20:43 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
No offense meant, but don't you (the OP) have something better to do than calculate ink costs? Who gives a darn? But, if you really care, shouldn't you calculate costs separately for each ink color?
Peter

Good question.  I may have misread the intent here.  My worst-case costs were based on doing the best possible prints for my own carry-around, or for someone who wants that hand-produced and inspected quality.  If I were running 'em off for distribution, I'd get a better deal from a bulk printer.

Primus

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 02:20:53 pm »

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but here is an interesting piece from inkjetart people. They've created an excel spreadsheet where you can look at their own numbers or just input your own info from job reports. The spreadsheet automatically works out the costs for you and you can see how changing the cost of paper or ink would affect the final costs.

Very handy if you want to work out how much more expensive a particular paper or supplier would be.

Here is the link. You have to download the spreadsheet.

http://www.inkjetart.com/7600/status_and_job_info.html

From my own very preliminary calcs, on the 9900, the cost per printed page is between $0.90 to $1.15 per sq. foot for premium luster (260) paper.

Pradeep
Pages: [1]   Go Up