Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qestion for Phase/Mamiya  (Read 5108 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:52:11 pm »

I have brought this up with L&P here the agents for both Phase & Mamiya about the change of focus control from the AFDII to the AFDIII. With the AFDII you can seperate the focus from the shutter release either front or rear button. With the AFDIII this is no longer possible even though all the buttons are the same. Can this be changed with a firmware update? When you are shooting people this was a great feature on the AFDII, even the ZD camera has this. Canon has had this for years & so does the H cameras & the Hy6.
With any new upcoming bodies as mentioned in the P65+ review, I think this function should be reinstated. I have heard that the shutter lag has been improved with the AFDIII & separate focus from the shutter release is a must.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:35:56 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
I have brought this up with L&P here the agents for both Phase & Mamiya about the change of focus control from the AFDII to the AFDIII. With the AFDII you can seperate the focus from the shutter release either front or rear button. With the AFDIII this is no longer possible even though all the buttons are the same. Can this be changed with a firmware update? When you are shooting people this was a great feature on the AFDII, even the ZD camera has this. Canon has had this for years & so does the H cameras & the Hy6.
With any new upcoming bodies as mentioned in the P65+ review, I think this function should be reinstated. I have heard that the shutter lag has been improved with the AFDIII & separate focus from the shutter release is a must.
Denis

On the AFDIII you can actually still re-assign the AF to either a front button or rear (AE-L) button (set CF-15 and CF-19 to position 1). What I don't believe you can do is turn off the AF on the shutter release, although if you continue to press the front or rear AF buttons as you release, those buttons will continue to override the shutter release AF.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:57:43 am »

Yep, the "new" button focus configuration for the AFD3 body was a total screw up.  I have been on the Phase body development folks about it from day 1.  However, the simple fact is, with standard button assignment, ie the front button assigned to AF-lock, with a bit of practice you get adept at focusing with your index finger on the shutter button and locking with your middle finger on the AEL button, then recomposing and shooting.  Or using single AF and holding the shutter button at half-press AF-lock while you re-compose to shoot.  What I'm trying to say is at first it was a deal-breaker for me, I even hung onto my AFD2 body so I could have that functionality, but after about a week of re-educating myself to use it as above, I don't even miss the old way now...

Cheers,
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:59:49 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

bcooter

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:02:25 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
On the AFDIII you can actually still re-assign the AF to either a front button or rear (AE-L) button (set CF-15 and CF-19 to position 1). What I don't believe you can do is turn off the AF on the shutter release, although if you continue to press the front or rear AF buttons as you release, those buttons will continue to override the shutter release AF.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

This is silly.  With Denis you have arguably the most loyal Mamiya user on the planet that actually shoots large productions and shoots them very well.

He's not asking for something new, he's just asking for what he had and somewhere in one of  the strategic alliance meetings someone forgot to ask a photographer what they needed.

This holds the same with lenses.  If you've ever worked in interior locations shooting people for advertising or fashion, you can't get through the day without a fast 100mm lens in the almost 645 format, but only Hasselblad has this in auto focus.

Every photographer that has a Canon has an 85mm lens, probably welded to one of their bodies, but ask someone in medium format land about a 100mm and they all say, well we do make a 140, a 150 etc.

That's fine if you can knock a hole in the wall to get back far enough, but why not just make something that professional users ask for?

Snook

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:34:24 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
This is silly.  With Denis you have arguably the most loyal Mamiya user on the planet that actually shoots large productions and shoots them very well.

He's not asking for something new, he's just asking for what he had and somewhere in one of  the strategic alliance meetings someone forgot to ask a photographer what they needed.

This holds the same with lenses.  If you've ever worked in interior locations shooting people for advertising or fashion, you can't get through the day without a fast 100mm lens in the almost 645 format, but only Hasselblad has this in auto focus.

Every photographer that has a Canon has an 85mm lens, probably welded to one of their bodies, but ask someone in medium format land about a 100mm and they all say, well we do make a 140, a 150 etc.

That's fine if you can knock a hole in the wall to get back far enough, but why not just make something that professional users ask for?

Well that is what the 120mm macro is for. One of their best lens in my opinion. No need for knocking walls down either.
and  the 55-110 has 100 on it. The only problem is it focuses like crap and will not focus close at all. what the hell is that about?
I hate that lens when I want to get up close, then the damn theing won't focus b/c I am too close!!! Peice of shit! plus it is f4.5 lowest end.
I hope they get their friggin leafshutter shit together before a 100mm lens. or both!
If you want  100 really bad, why not the old Manual focus 110 2.8 ?I use my 80 1.9 all the time.
I never had realized before that the cameras lights up green when the lens is in focus, even on the old manual lens!! When I go adventure shooting the 80 1.9 is always at reach.

Snook

Jozef Zajaz

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 06:17:50 pm »

110mm leaf shutter lens coming this fall from mamiya/phase

BJNY

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:50:55 pm »

Quote from: Jozef Zajaz
110mm leaf shutter lens coming this fall from mamiya/phase

Is it autofocus,
and what is the maximum aperture, please?

Guillermo

bcooter

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:55:20 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
Is it autofocus,

If it's autofocus and fast, I'll reboot my thought process on the Mamiya from Kia to Toyota.

If it's F2, then Lexus.

Snook

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:06:56 pm »

If it's autofocus and fast, I'll reboot my thought process on the Mamiya from Kia to Toyota.

If it's F2, then Lexus.

yeh and it will be atleast 4500.00 looking at their last 2 lens that were released. Probably even more..Probably about the same price as a P30+ when it will come out on the market.

I think the first leafshutter they would make seems it would be a "Normal" 80mm, But hopefully your right.
I sure miss my 55/80/150 LS shutter that I used on the 645...:+{

Snook

BJNY

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 07:16:21 pm »

My interest in the Mamiya 645 platform WOULD be further piqued

IF the Rodenstock Shift + Tilt Digaron  40mm, 70mm & 120mm lenses or similar

would be part of their lens line-up.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:21:09 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

bcooter

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 07:24:27 pm »

My interest in the Mamiya 645 platform WOULD be further piqued

IF the Rodenstock Shift + Tilt Digaron  40mm, 70mm & 120mm lenses or similar

were to be part of their lens line-up.

I know they don't want to quote delivery, but you would think now would be a good time for some kind of "official" announcement of what is coming with the Phase/Mamiya platform.

Right Angle Grip, ok, then when?   Same with the lenses same with anything else, other than an RRS L plate with a strap.

I can understand that everyone is somewhat guarded about announcements, heck at this stage I know people that worry about everything, but if a camera company gives you something you need, or just have to have to do your job, then that's usually motivation enough to go forward.

As far as price, medium format needs to get their prices public.  Call your dealer just turns you off especially when your in the early stages of deciding.

Right now I"ve been looking at new cars and I dread the process of talking to the dealer until I'm really ready to decide.  I don't want to waste there time, I don't want to be pushed, even gently to a car I haven't given a lot of thought so I go online, look at the base numbers and figure it out.  It's a lot easier when the numbers are available.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:27:21 pm by bcooter »

Jozef Zajaz

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 04:57:34 am »

Is it autofocus,

Of course autofocus no idea about aperture. Atleast 2,8 i hope

Jozef Zajaz

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 04:58:50 am »

I know they don't want to quote delivery, but you would think now would be a good time for some kind of "official" announcement of what is coming with the Phase/Mamiya platform.

Right Angle Grip, ok, then when?   Same with the lenses same with anything else, other than an RRS L plate with a strap.

I can understand that everyone is somewhat guarded about announcements, heck at this stage I know people that worry about everything, but if a camera company gives you something you need, or just have to have to do your job, then that's usually motivation enough to go forward.

As far as price, medium format needs to get their prices public.  Call your dealer just turns you off especially when your in the early stages of deciding.

Right now I"ve been looking at new cars and I dread the process of talking to the dealer until I'm really ready to decide.  I don't want to waste there time, I don't want to be pushed, even gently to a car I haven't given a lot of thought so I go online, look at the base numbers and figure it out.  It's a lot easier when the numbers are available.

I totally agree.

PdF

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:10:12 pm »

PdF

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:33:08 pm »

Quote from: PdF
There it is :

http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/cont...5f4e9608f99e035

PdF

This PDN article is just announcing that in the US there will be a marketing bundle of the Aptus-II 33 and the AFD III under the name "DL33". Both fine products, but neither is new.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:33:41 pm by dougpetersonci »

LightMiner

Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 07:37:32 pm »

If you've ever worked in interior locations shooting people for advertising or fashion, you can't get through the day without a fast 100mm lens in the almost 645 format, but only Hasselblad has this in auto focus.

Yes - do you have the 120 Macro?  Also, I occasionally use the 150 with the #3 extender thingy and that works great.  But the 120 macro is a very special lense - hard to beat by any measure!

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 04:32:26 am »

Thanks
Well I do like Mamiya however these days since we have been using the 1DsMKIII  about 90% of the time. Reasons why..... boils down to one the Canon has a much faster capture rate & yes we use DPP & to be honest we both find the working process with Canon has been BULLET PROOF! We are just quoting on a job now & we already know what system we will be using.......drum roll......CANON. We have done some pressure jobs in the past few months including Make Me A Super Model & Australias Next Top Model & talk about tight on time. We are both Gay & I very happy with the results.......& we shot with Canon with no problems & a super fast capture rate & no problems. It is the first time that the packs have to keep up with the camera. Also when you have a film crew, producers, a shooting schedule to the minute you don't take chances. Look I think MFD digital is great but with the Canon I am free to move the camera does not get in the way & I am not loosing shots. At the moment my Mamiya kit lives in the safe. We are on the side lines waiting to see what happens. What is happening to F&H just sends a canon ball over the bow! We both still like Leaf & I applaud what Phase has done with the P65+....plus they are using the Dalsa chip.
I personally think the Phase/Mamiya alliance is a good thing.....I also think it saved Mamiya. Yeah they should LISTEN.....where has the separate focus control GONE!
Denis
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:50:12 am by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Qestion for Phase/Mamiya
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 05:04:58 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
We are both Gay & I very happy with the results....

I'm sure the rest of us are happy for you as well Denis !    
Pages: [1]   Go Up