Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omnicom’s New Payment Terms  (Read 3058 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Omnicom’s New Payment Terms
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:13:05 am »

Omnicom Group, the owner of several major creative agencies including BBDO, DDB, and TBWA, has begun strict new enforcement of sequential liability clauses in contracts.

Under new standard language being introduced in Omnicom contracts, ad agencies will no longer assume liability for a project if a client doesn't pay. This could force a photographer to eat the cost of an ad shoot if a troubled advertiser fails to pay an ad agency.

Sequential liability was put into place 20 years ago to protect agencies from unpaid bills, but until now individual agencies have had some flexibility in enforcing it. The stepped-up enforcement is apparently related to big advertisers, including General Motors and InBev, who are reeling from the credit crisis and have been insisting on longer payment terms.

Trade groups that represent ad producers are not pleased. The American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) issued an advisory to photographers March 18. In addition to the new sequential liability clause, ASMP said photographers are not being paid advances on Omnicom assignments.

“These terms and conditions are simply not in the best interests of photographers, producers or clients,” the ASMP said. “This action, clearly taken in anticipation of increasingly difficult financial conditions is a unilateral effort to shift the burden onto those who are least prepared to bear it.”

“ASMP would recommend that photographers include in their paperwork a statement making it clear that there will be no grant of copyright license until all related assignment invoices are paid in full,” the statement continued.

The ASMP acknowledged there was no incentive for agencies to make photographer-friendly changes to their contracts if photographers were willing to accept the terms, and urged photographers to raise the issue on blogs and social networking sites. “The issue needs to become viral and requires significant support from key photographers in order to gain traction and effect change,” the ASMP note said.

In the U.K., Omnicom suspended the new sequential liability requirement after its senior agency managers met with the local trade group Advertising Producers Association.

Commercial production executives told Adweek that Omnicom is the first major ad agency holding company to tighten contract terms. Representatives at Interpublic Group of Companies, WPP Group and Publicis Groupe said their companies have not yet demanded sequential liability clauses in commercial production contracts.

Omnicom agency insiders confirmed the change in language in all agency contracts. Production company sources told Adweek that contracts within Omnicom vary and while they may have had sequential liability clauses in them, in the past they were often ignored or removed at the operating units.

Amid the severe credit crunch, Omnicom clients are extending their own payment terms to ad agencies – DDB Worldwide client Anheuser-Busch's parent InBev is insisting on 120-day terms – and the holding company’s agencies are caught in the middle.

General Motors has told its ad agencies that it may take 60 to 75 days to pay invoices, according to an ad agency e-mail provided to PDN by an automotive photographer. GM, which is fighting to stay out of bankruptcy, was America’s second-largest advertiser last year.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:31:14 am »

I never work for ad agencies (besides the occassional small ones). For one maybe because my work isn't considered to be good enough  but the other reason is I don't really trust them. I used to be a director of one and have first hand experience with the mentality that seems to be necessary to survive.

It is ridiculous the way photographers in some areas are now being forced to work. Over here there is a growing number of contracts where photographers need to take total liability for the whole project they work on, that is next to having difficulties getting paid within 60days if at all.

As long as photographers are divided and not willing to cooperate and stand up for each other, which counts for the majority, there will be these kind of things. Wasn't the saying, 'divide & conquer'? For every photographer that refuses these contracts there are 2 that are willing to step in.

I am glad I have never been asked to sign anything like this and most of my clients pay within 30days. I have in my 'general conditions' a line that copyright of images always stays with me and a client gets the right to use after payment since I started. Sofar I have never needed to enforce this (I also hope I never will have to).

I wish everyone luck with these hyena's, I support you guys by not working for them  (and by being a member of a Photographers Association that is actively trying to represent its members).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:53:02 am by Dustbak »

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 05:43:42 am »

That just sounds scary and wrong.
Once again the little guy is going to get it and our only recourse will be "copyright". I also have it in my contract that usage doesn't start until full payment is received but in real life you know that doesn't happen. People are pushed for deadlines and before you know it you're looking up at a billboard of your image and your wallet is still bare; having put out for all production costs since you didn't get a deposit cuz they were an existing client (you trust us by now?).
My largest market is in Northern Ireland and I swear I have never seen creative fees and usage rates as low as they are here in the modern world. Now to have to carry the costs to 120 or potentially never get paid if the client claims financial troubles.
Denis, thanks for the mention of the APA; I had never heard of them but I'm going to look into them now.

r
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:45:09 am by rcdurston »

Carsten W

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 05:57:35 am »

Don't worry, everything will be fine in the end (for some). Omnicom will find it impossible to find top-notch photographers to work with, therefore they will lose marketshare, and in the end the government will bail them out with a few billion Dollars, and the execs will get nice bonuses for their foresight.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:18:21 am »

Quote from: rcdurston
That just sounds scary and wrong.
Once again the little guy is going to get it and our only recourse will be "copyright". I also have it in my contract that usage doesn't start until full payment is received but in real life you know that doesn't happen. People are pushed for deadlines and before you know it you're looking up at a billboard of your image and your wallet is still bare; having put out for all production costs since you didn't get a deposit cuz they were an existing client (you trust us by now?).
My largest market is in Northern Ireland and I swear I have never seen creative fees and usage rates as low as they are here in the modern world. Now to have to carry the costs to 120 or potentially never get paid if the client claims financial troubles.
Denis, thanks for the mention of the APA; I had never heard of them but I'm going to look into them now.

r

Hi
This is direct quote from PDN & AD Week. I think the ASMP was mentioned & both the ASMP & APA are both excellent photographic organizations in the US.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

rcdurston

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 09:48:03 am »

I meant wrong as in bad not in I think your quote was wrong. Sorry for the confusion.
I don't doubt it for a second.
Need to find out if the APA accepts still photographers or if I need to classify myself as a production company.

r

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 10:38:50 am »

Quote from: rcdurston
I meant wrong as in bad not in I think your quote was wrong. Sorry for the confusion.
I don't doubt it for a second.
Need to find out if the APA accepts still photographers or if I need to classify myself as a production company.

r

APA was started by still photographers and almost all members are primarly still photographers.. many still guys move into motion once
they get to know the world of agencies.  
It is very important that all photographers selling their images in whatever medias join either
asmp or apa, as a 20+ year member and former board member I urge you all to bite the small bullet of the membership fee..It is only by numbers that we can defend our individual rights and business practices.
If they can not afford to pay an advance then they can't afford the media buy for the image..period.

rcdurston

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 02:33:14 pm »

Hi Paul
I was actually talking about the APA Advertising Producers Association that Denis referred to in his initial quote.
Over in the UK it doesn't seem like there is much in the way of an advertising photographer's association. There are some editorial ones but no real commercial ad organizations. It a shame since it seems that quite a few agencies will hire editorial photographers to shoot ads that I don't think they fit the bill for. Ya they get the job done but most don't seem to have the higher end production value that ads done by proper ad photographers have. It's tough coming from the North American market to the UK and trying to wrap my my around "day rates" and virtually zero usage charge. The creative rate and production charges that I am used to billing for are non existent in the briefs that I get from agencies.

signed
frustrated on the farm
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:33:32 pm by rcdurston »
Pages: [1]   Go Up