Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hornsund Fjord and Hans Glacier  (Read 4996 times)

Witek

• http://www.przewodnicy.zakopane.pl
Hornsund Fjord and Hans Glacier
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:44:48 am »

Hello All !

Snowy and icy Arctic landscape...

I took 108 pictures @200mm, handheld
final image: 480 megapixels
stitched with PTGui

Enjoy zooming !

http://www.przewodnicy.zakopane.pl/rozne/z..._Hans_20090315/

Witek

Roger Calixto

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:37:56 pm »

Very nice detail. How much post processing effort went into that?

Just out of curiosity

--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

Witek

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 04:04:40 pm »

Quote from: kingtutt
Very nice detail. How much post processing effort went into that?

Just out of curiosity

Not much, PTGui done great job,
after stitching, most time I spent cleaning picture (few dust particles on sensor),
after that I added local contrast in parts of picture,
gaussian blur to clear the blue sky, but gradients started to appear (I worked in 8 bits)
so nothing magic

Witek

Roger Calixto

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:01:40 pm »

Cool. I was admiring Dan Browns stuff and he posted on his blog a very labor intensive workflow for his super wow composites. But that was focus blending. I though this might be like that too. Good to know that awesome results can also be achieved using magic software!!

cheers
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:43:11 pm »

Very nice pano! I can see some footprints, maybe a polar bear. I couldn't find him though.

Witek

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 02:10:16 am »

Quote from: sergio
Very nice pano! I can see some footprints, maybe a polar bear. I couldn't find him though.

Yes - there are ski-doo tracks, and few polar bear's tracks,
between crevases and on the ice at the front of the glacier,
but unfortunately no bear and no people are there.

daniel voges

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 01:21:18 pm »

How many photos and how many rows did you take to create this amazing picture.
I am going on an 8 day hike in Namibia soon and was wondering if I could take a Canon 450D and a longer lens and do exactly what you did, or if I must take a 5Dmkii with a 17-40mm or 85 1.8. The 450D with kit lens is considerably lighter than a 5Dmkii but I am worried that I might be disappointed with the quality of the photos. I have a 24" Z3100 printer and would like to create panoramas of the Namib, maximum size 24"x72".
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:23:44 pm by daniel voges »

Marlyn

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 10:17:58 pm »

I shoot Pano's with a 1DsIII, so same resolution as your 5DII.

So far, I've found this to be a great sweet spot of resolution, convinience and quality for Landscape Pano's.
Example.  Portrait Mode, 90mm TS-E Lens,  Single row, 7 Shots, 10 deg Rotation.    Will give a 3:1 Panorama (after end cropping) of 16848 x 5616.  FoV 75deg x 23deg.  (Horiztonal similar to a 16mm lens)  ~90MP

This will print 20x60 at 280dpi,  and 24x72 at 234dpi, and  printed on an Epson 7800, the results are excellent.  After much research and testing, and talking to Epson, I will print large pano's down to about 180dpi and be pretty happy with the result.   This dosn't quite stretch to 96" without uprezzing, as I find 146dpi a bit too low for close inspection.  (I Resize without resampling the print.  The printer does a better job than Photoshop at creating blend between the pixels).

Note: As I use a small Manfrotton 300N Indexing pano base, I fix my rotation amounts to numbers which fit that device and provide at least 30% overlap.  I've found improved the consistency of my pano shooting considerably.

For multi Row shots, I tend to use the Shift of the TS-E lens, rather than tilt the camera.  This keeps the film Plane (Sensor plane) vertical at all times, to avoid falling or converging verticals or other nasy effects.  Whilst the pano programs can correct distortion, they toss some effective resolution/image quality to do it, so i'd prefer not to.
I find this is easily enough to give a good high rez shot.

Example:  90mm TS-E, using +/-10mm Shift (near to max),  2 Row's,   Portrait, 10 Shots per row.   Result  8736 x 26,208,  ~218MP.
so that 96" print is now at 273dpi.

I use the 90mm TS-E as an example, as this is my prime landscape lens, however you don't need to use a Tilt/Shift.  Although, as a bonus, the other benefits of the TS-E are.
  1. Can shift the composition up/down, whilst keeping the FilmPlane vertical. (say, from up a hill looking down).
  2. Can use Tilt for depth of field.  Although I find this only works well in a single row shot,   I have not as yet had any success with multi row pano's with tilt.

I've been working on a detailed spreadsheet of Len's,  #shots, rotation, FoV, etc etc for shooting Pano's (along with other things I want to remember when shooting).  If anyone is interested I'd be happy to post it when I'm done for private use or comment.

Regards

Mark Farnan

PS: All that said, Stitching is  a pain and dosn't suit some subjects (Water, movement, Aerial, rapidly changing light). I'm seriously looking at augmenting the digital with a Fotoman 6x17.  Still researching what real resultion and quality equivelents that will give me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:21:49 pm by Marlyn »

daniel voges

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 12:35:52 am »

Thanks Marlyn much apreciated.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:36:13 am by daniel voges »

boblybill

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 10:18:25 am »

WOW... The detail in that shot is amazing. This is something I would like to try me thinks. Lovely shot!

ehanson

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 01:30:49 am »

Witek, truly beautiful shot. We specialize in high res stitched panos, and yours is excellent. I have seen your earlier panos before, so glad a serious photographer is up there shooting. You might try one of the newer tile viewers (ZUIs) which will provide a much smoother interaction than Zoomify. We prefer HDView and Silverlight, but KRpano is on the rise and is excellent also. We have a lot of these demo'ed on our site listed below..

Best,

Eric Hanson
xRez Studio, Inc.

http://www.xrez.com

Eric Hanson
xRez Studio, Inc.
http://www.xrez.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up