Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused about DOF on full frame sensors  (Read 2576 times)

andyptak

Confused about DOF on full frame sensors
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:27:51 am »

Ful frame sensors often seem to be compared to 35mm and APS as smaller than 35mm.

Yet the DOF on full frame seems to be closer to Medium Format, while the smaller APS sensor seems to be closer to 35mm. On 35mm film I'm used to shooting at either 5.6 or F8, depending on whether I want just the eyes, or the eyes and ears in sharp focus. Not so with a full frame. I'm using a Sony a900 and need close to a couple of stops to equal the DOF of 35mm. I'm confused.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:39:36 am »

How are you judging this?

DOF is the same between FF and 35mm provided you use the same CoC for both.  If you are using a smaller CoC on digital then your DOF will be smaller.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:45:03 pm »

I think that's what digital images on a computer with instant 1:1 and bigger magnification does for you.

In the past with my color slides and negatives I didn't have that option, which meant I didn't notice focus or motion blur issues as readily as I do now.
pieter, aka pegelli

andyptak

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:14:33 pm »

@pegelli - That's what I'm noticing. Shots that I thought were sharp on 35mm or even an APS are now exhibiting a much shallower depth of field, and therefore, not properly in focus! On a similar but slightly different note, I'm finding the much touted camera stabilization still doesn't let me shoot hand held under 1/80th and maintain a sharp image.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:59:46 pm »

Quote from: andyptak
@pegelli - That's what I'm noticing. Shots that I thought were sharp on 35mm or even an APS are now exhibiting a much shallower depth of field, and therefore, not properly in focus! On a similar but slightly different note, I'm finding the much touted camera stabilization still doesn't let me shoot hand held under 1/80th and maintain a sharp image.

Well, maybe if you print the picture and look at the same normal viewing distance as you did with a film based picture of the same frame size I would think the difference will be gone. The dof at a fixed "circle of confusion" is set by optical formulas and should be independent from the medium used (film vs. digital sensor)

On your other note I am getting good results with my in-body stabilization, but it's a percentage game. I cannot guarantee that every shot is tack sharp, but if I take a few there's usually one or two very sharp that would have all been blurry without the stabilization.

Look at this pic below, 1/15sec handheld at 200 mm on APS-C. I took 5 shots in rapid succession (not a burst at 5fps, but just a succession of single frames while trying to brace myself as good as I can every time I press the shutter), 3 were blurred, 2 were good and this was the best. Not bad I would think (also for ISO 2000 w/o anything but the default Lightroom Noise reduction, but ETTR with about -1 EV exposure compensation). So by the time I get in the grey or black zone (longer than 1/focal length) I just take many shots and discard the bad ones. All I need is a big memory card, that's all.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:11:52 pm by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

douglasf13

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:10:01 pm »

Quote from: andyptak

Yeah, I think it's a result of the increase in resolution.  From what I've heard from some D3x and A900 users, even autofocus can be a little iffy for critical work, because the resolution really shows flaws.  Granted, how it looks in print should be the final determination.
Pages: [1]   Go Up