Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very impressed with Epson 3800 support..  (Read 2076 times)

Peter Mellis

Very impressed with Epson 3800 support..
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:50:57 am »

Last December, after considerable research (obsessing?) I bought an Epson 3800 as an upgrade from my 2200. I would have gotten a 2880 but the math related to the larger cartridges and a good deal sold me on the 3800. I am quite pleased with the results that I am getting and would like to point out another piece of information that might be useful for anyone considering a move up to this printer. Although I have had very few issues with my 2200 and am still using it, I was not impressed by the couple of contacts that I had in the course of putting questions to the Epson service people relative to that printer. I now have a small problem with the 3800 in that the magnet that holds the front cover in place when closed keeps coming unglued. I just called the Epson Preferred support number to inquire as to what type of glue to use to fix it and was not only given a prompt answer, but was told that they would replace the unit if the problem continued. This magnet is maybe 1/2 X 1/4 inch in size;I had inquired about the glue because I didn't want to use something that might not work because of the existing glue layer that is already there. My point is that any one considering this printer should also be aware that as a "Professional" printer in Epson's eyes, this appears give you access to a much different level of service than with a consumer grade printer.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:22:21 pm »

Quote from: PeterAM
Last December, after considerable research (obsessing?) I bought an Epson 3800 as an upgrade from my 2200. I would have gotten a 2880 but the math related to the larger cartridges and a good deal sold me on the 3800. I am quite pleased with the results that I am getting and would like to point out another piece of information that might be useful for anyone considering a move up to this printer. Although I have had very few issues with my 2200 and am still using it, I was not impressed by the couple of contacts that I had in the course of putting questions to the Epson service people relative to that printer. I now have a small problem with the 3800 in that the magnet that holds the front cover in place when closed keeps coming unglued. I just called the Epson Preferred support number to inquire as to what type of glue to use to fix it and was not only given a prompt answer, but was told that they would replace the unit if the problem continued. This magnet is maybe 1/2 X 1/4 inch in size;I had inquired about the glue because I didn't want to use something that might not work because of the existing glue layer that is already there. My point is that any one considering this printer should also be aware that as a "Professional" printer in Epson's eyes, this appears give you access to a much different level of service than with a consumer grade printer.
I had exactly the same problem with mine, but I confess I just took matters into my own hands, without consultation, and used a dab of superglue. It seems to be working. It's good to hear that high-quality technical support is available, though.

Jeremy

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:57:02 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
I had exactly the same problem with mine, but I confess I just took matters into my own hands, without consultation, and used a dab of superglue. It seems to be working. It's good to hear that high-quality technical support is available, though.

Jeremy

It's good to hear about the high quality of Epson support. I am fortunate to have never needed it because my 4880 has worked perfectly right out of the box and ever since - a testament to the quality of Epson printers. And, such gorgeous prints!

Peter

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 04:28:52 pm »

I guess I'm the third person with that problem.  I used a dab of gorilla glue, and it hasn't failed since.  But it's good to know Epson will be there in case there are any further problems.

While we're on the subject of the 3800, back in December I posted here that I bought the 3800 from Amazon for $1100, then applied for the $200 rebate.  I wasn't sure if Epson would honor the rebate since it said the printer had to be purchased from an authorized professional reseller (and I'm pretty sure Amazon isn't considered a "professional" seller).  Well, they honored it, so I got the 3800 for the same price as a 2880.  More kudos to Epson...

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 04:11:00 am »

They still ship with the same problem. It's easily fixed, as noted above.

Funny how something so simple got past QC.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up