Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Gallery - Horseshoe Canyon Utah  (Read 3623 times)

Greg Barnett

• http://
Great Gallery - Horseshoe Canyon Utah
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:41:59 am »

I’m planning to shoot there during the first week of May. From what I’ve seen and read, it doesn’t look like many of the panels get a lot of direct light for long periods. Can anyone tell me what the best time of day is from a lighting perspective?

Thanks-

Greg

jdemott

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:54:55 am »

I was there only once, but going back to look at my files it appears I was there on May 15, so my experience may be helpful for you.  It was a very memorable trip for my wife and me and we plan to go back again.  I think you'll like it.

The canyon winds around and there are galleries on either side so you won't have the same lighting at all of them.  Some are located high up on the canyon walls and others are under overhangs so you have to be prepared to use different lenses to capture them.  We reached the Great Gallery late in the morning and it was in full sun.  A polarizing filter was helpful.  The panels are quite large and are perhaps 20 feet above ground level so you will need a long lens to photograph them.  One or two figures had shadows from the overhang, but most of the panels were fully lit.  Cracks in the rock also cast small shadows.

Having been there only once I can't say what is "best."  I got some good shots both of the galleries that were shaded and those in full sun.  I don't think you would do well when the shadows from the canyon walls are cast across the figures--it would be worth waiting for the sun to move a bit to have even lighting on the whole figure.

The paintings are all somewhat faded so they present very low contrast subjects.  Plan on some post processing to enhance contrast and color to see them to their best advantage in the final prints.

We left Moab very early to arrive at the canyon while it was still cool--just after sunrise while the canyon was still shaded.  Nonetheless, when the sun reached the canyon floor it quickly became very hot.  We did all our photography before lunch, had a sandwich, and hiked back out.  We always take more water than we think we will need (and we have some experience hiking in the desert).  This was one of the few times we wished we had brought even more water.  The climb out of the canyon is in direct sun (at least in early afternoon) and we finished our water during the climb out; fortunately we had another bottle in a cooler in the car to refresh ourselves on the drive back to Moab.

It is a great location.  Enjoy (but pay attention to the heat and dryness).
John DeMott

rickk

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:58:13 pm »

Horseshoe Canyon is one of those extra-special spots, so enjoy!  I was able to visit there last October, so sun angles and temperatures were quite a bit different than May. My better images were in diffuse light before there was direct sunlight on the panels. At that time of year, sunlight hit the main Great Gallery about 8 am. I left the parking area about 15 minutes after there was enough light to see without a headlamp and spent about an hour and a half to two hours hiking and photographing the other panels enroute to the Great Gallery. Late afternoon lighting when the main panel is in shade but getting some benefit from the glow off the other side of the canyon might have good potential, but then you have to deal with a hike out in hot temps. Good luck.

Rick

Greg Barnett

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:59:44 pm »

Thanks John, appreciate the info. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the area during mid summer and understand the heat related issues all to well... How long did it take you to drive/hike in once you left the pavement at Rt. 24? I’ve driven past the the turn-off on 24 a few times but don’t have a good idea of the total travel time (from Moab) into the canyon.

Greg

jdemott

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:38:34 pm »

I was there four years ago so my recollection of time may not be too precise.  I think it was about 2-1/2 hours from Moab to the trailhead.  The road from Highway 24 was okay, but you weren't going to make any great time on it.  As i recall, the road after Hwy 24 was not well marked.  Be sure that you have good directions and a map.

I think we took about 3-1/2 hours from the trailhead to reach the Great Gallery, stopping to photograph and sightsee as we walked.  You could probably cut that in half if you were going directly to the Great Gallery.

We drove back via the dirt road to Green River, rather than back to 24.  I think the overall travel time to Moab was about the same.
John DeMott

Greg Barnett

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:29:10 pm »

John & Rick, thanks again, very useful info. I think I’m going to plan a full day around the canyon and get there early to experience the shifting light.

Greg

Pages: [1]   Go Up