Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue #1 of Color Magazine  (Read 12148 times)

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
Issue #1 of Color Magazine
« on: February 09, 2009, 06:53:54 pm »

Today I found Issue #1 of Color magazine in my local bookstore.  It is the chromatic companion to B & W and follows the same model, including the opportunity for vanity adverts in the back.  For those who have bemoaned the lack of such a publication - here you go!  http://www.bandwmag.com/color/color.html

Moynihan

• jay moynihan:  glances stares & nods
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:49:02 pm »

Yep, have subscribed. Lenswork for B&W, and now, something for color.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:35:36 am »

I have a pile of B&W magazines in a cupboard, not alongside a taller pile of French Photo and Amercan Photo which lives in another room, but a pile nonetheless.

I have stopped buying any of these magazines and with the two versions of Photo, I´m in the proces of re-reading each once and then dumping them into the recycle bin. I look at the mass of paper, think of what it actually cost both the planet and my wallet, and then try very hard to evaluate the benefits I might have gained from spending the money.

Frankly, B&W will be following the procession later; my purchase there started with great interest and then dwindled with accumulated disappointment at what I eventually saw to be a beauty parade of naked emperors celebrating, broadly, the same clichés.

That this is the fault of the publishers is a moot point. As with all magazines, there is a cyclical element involved which, once you´ve run the cycle becomes repetition. With the two versions of Photo, my gripe was that the US one seemed to be but a dumbed down version of its French sister with too many advertising tie-ups with travel etc, with revues of very basic kit and a terribly home-based bias in its featuring of photographers.

As far as French Photo was concerned, it remained a more pleasing magazine (to me - all subjective opinion, nothing more) but even there, I grew weary of the Reader Contest stuff and the fairly predictable fare I could expect.

(Looking back, through the doubtful filter of time and memory, it seems to me that the most worthwhile photo mag collection that I ever managed to gather together consisted of the Popular Photography Annuals that used to be published - there were two: the straight one and another, Popular Photography Color Annual. Sadly, I threw all of that away when I moved from Britain to Spain. As sadly, I gather that those annuals are no longer published and that even the parent Pop Phot has changed ownership some times over the years.)

In the end, I came to realise that for me, it would be better to buy the occassional magazine on whim rather than to place standing orders. I found, in practice, that I have not even felt interested in buying anything like that in a couple of years. What I have realised, instead, is that there is no substitute to getting your head around a project, whatever it might be, however trite, and going for it yourself. It is much more rewarding in personal terms than any amount of gawping at other peoples´work.

It might be different for other people, but I come at it from the direction of a retired pro with the experience that without a commission there was very little reason to load a camera.

This might sound strange as I became a pro for the simple reason that there was nothing else in life that I could imagine doing for the duration, not because of unsuitability for anything else on an academic level, but because there was always the obsession with the camera, the inner conviction that it was the ideal vehicle for my personal fulfillment. And so it proved. The difficulty came later - finding a niche within the medium that would not just evaporate the material benefits accrued through the career but still provide the creative buzz that makes it all worthwhile.

I think I´ve found it.

Ciao - Rob C
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:01:31 pm by Rob C »

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:12:59 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
I have a pile of B&W magazines in a cupboard, not alongside a taller pile of French Photo and Amercian Photo which lives in another room, but a pile nonetheless.

Ciao - Rob C

Interesting observations for sure. I really enjoyed American Photo back when it was American Photographer. It had some genuinely edgy and artistic stuff in it then, and didn't take itself too seriously. It was all about the photographer and the image. When it transformed into American Photo I stopped buying it almost immediately; I found its sordid obsession with celebrities and the fashion world grotesque. The French magazine Photo never really appealed; just too glossy and slick, and (not that I'm a prude) the emphasis on naked nubile females was just over the top.

As you say, it's tough for a photography magazine to stay interesting after it's run through the obvious cycle of topics and issues. If I see another article in Outdoor Photographer about how to use a polarizer I might hurl.

KeithR

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:21:43 pm »

I have over the years(decades?) have subscribed to various pubs, and after long runs, I have left many by the wayside. They tend to repeat themselves and end up regurgitating the same thing year after year. I also enjoyed American Photographer and discovered many photographers through their pages. I still remember the cover that had Jay Maisel up to his neck in his outakes which he never threw out. It was through this site that I discovered Lens Work extended and enjoy, in addition to seeing, hearing the photographers voice talk about their work. To me this brings the artists work more to life than just looking at some reproduction in a magazine. I still subscribe to some periodiacls but I'm a lot more selective in what I order.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:38 pm »

Quote from: russell a
Today I found Issue #1 of Color magazine in my local bookstore.  It is the chromatic companion to B & W and follows the same model, including the opportunity for vanity adverts in the back.  For those who have bemoaned the lack of such a publication - here you go!  http://www.bandwmag.com/color/color.html

First issue was nice.  Curious if they can keep it up.

Moynihan

• jay moynihan:  glances stares & nods
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:12:18 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
...I really enjoyed American Photo back when it was American Photographer.... If I see another article in Outdoor Photographer about how to use a polarizer I might hurl....

Agree with both statements. American Photographer was once a good mag. The only subscriptions i now have are Lenswork, and have added the new Color. All the others (for me at least), have been pretty much replaced by the Web.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 08:54:49 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
First issue was nice.  Curious if they can keep it up.
Maybe they'll spell the name correctly next time too!    
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:35:44 am »

Quote from: jjj
Maybe they'll spell the name correctly next time too!  

I've just sent them a noute telling them that the courrect spelling is "Coulor". Dou I have that right? 
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 12:24:49 pm »

Quote from: EricM
I've just sent them a noute telling them that the courrect spelling is "Coulor". Dou I have that right? 

Allmost.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:25:19 pm by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 04:45:08 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Allmost.

Rob C
Thank youu, Roub C. 
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up