Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aptus 65 on Contax 645?  (Read 2922 times)

evgeny

Aptus 65 on Contax 645?
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:41:42 pm »

Hi all,

I shoot today with a Sinarback 54M attached to CONTAX 645. That's a good back, but must be connected to Macbook.
I think about a (refurbished to fit my budget) Aptus 65 digital back with a built-in preview screen.
I shoot mostly in studio, portraits, models, still lifes, and sometimes outdoors.

I currently checked the Leaf software. My first impression - I'm pleased with the user interface. However I need to see how the software performs when connected to the Aptus. May be I will also pleased with the back?

Some reviews report issues with Aptus 65
- back firmware instability (does this still the case?)
- wide angle photography problems, because of small 7.2-micron pixel (what about Contax 35mm lens?)
- long useful exposure is limited to 8 sec, after which image quality quickly degrades (how is it compared to my 54M?)
- poor color accuracy, especially in tungsten light (how is it compared to my 54M?)
- noise levels at high iso (how is it compared to my 54M?)
- slow capture rate (I think it's the same as 54M)
- higher power consumption (well, that huge screen..)

A note to dealers, this is not how Aptus 65 compares to P45+, which is out of my range.

So, I want to hear your opinions about Aptus 65 on Contax 645.
Thank you very much.

Regards
Evgeny

David Klepacki

Aptus 65 on Contax 645?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:02:03 pm »

Hi Evgeny,

Before I switched to Sinar, I used the Aptus 65 on the Contax 645.  In general, the Aptus 65 produces great images for outdoor and landscape, and Leaf does a good job with processing its images via their LC software.  However, I always had problems with skin tones using that back.  Too much of the time I found a slight magenta cast on both caucasian and oriental skin.  Maybe things have changed now with upgraded firmware/software, but I switched to the Sinar backs by then (for other reasons too, like the interchangeable adapters, etc.).

To answer your other questions:
- back firmware instability (does this still the case?) .... yes, I experienced frequent "lock-up" of my Aptus 65, fixed by resetting power.
- wide angle photography problems, because of small 7.2-micron pixel (what about Contax 35mm lens?) .... no problems with Contax 35mm lens.
- long useful exposure is limited to 8 sec, after which image quality quickly degrades (how is it compared to my 54M?) .... I don't use long exposure.
- poor color accuracy, especially in tungsten light (how is it compared to my 54M?) ... yes, I had color issues.
- noise levels at high iso (how is it compared to my 54M?) ..... yes, it is very noisy at higher iso, another reason I switched to 75LV.
- slow capture rate (I think it's the same as 54M) .... not very fast, which is why Leaf introduces the S version later.
- higher power consumption (well, that huge screen..) .... I did not notice battery drain to be that much different form other backs.

If you shoot mostly in studio, and can shoot tethered, I would keep the 54M.  To me, tethered shooting in a studio is a huge advantage as I can compose and focus more accurately on the computer screen. If you are experiencing moire with the 54M, then I would recommend the 75LV or even the 54H.  The 54H has hardware to remove moire, and is perhaps the best overall studio back as it can produce moire-free images from 22MP to 88MP.

David

evgeny

Aptus 65 on Contax 645?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:06 pm »

Quote from: David Klepacki
Hi Evgeny,

Before I switched to Sinar, I used the Aptus 65 on the Contax 645.  In general, the Aptus 65 produces great images for outdoor and landscape, and Leaf does a good job with processing its images via their LC software.  However, I always had problems with skin tones using that back.  Too much of the time I found a slight magenta cast on both caucasian and oriental skin.  Maybe things have changed now with upgraded firmware/software, but I switched to the Sinar backs by then (for other reasons too, like the interchangeable adapters, etc.).

To answer your other questions:
- back firmware instability (does this still the case?) .... yes, I experienced frequent "lock-up" of my Aptus 65, fixed by resetting power.
- wide angle photography problems, because of small 7.2-micron pixel (what about Contax 35mm lens?) .... no problems with Contax 35mm lens.
- long useful exposure is limited to 8 sec, after which image quality quickly degrades (how is it compared to my 54M?) .... I don't use long exposure.
- poor color accuracy, especially in tungsten light (how is it compared to my 54M?) ... yes, I had color issues.
- noise levels at high iso (how is it compared to my 54M?) ..... yes, it is very noisy at higher iso, another reason I switched to 75LV.
- slow capture rate (I think it's the same as 54M) .... not very fast, which is why Leaf introduces the S version later.
- higher power consumption (well, that huge screen..) .... I did not notice battery drain to be that much different form other backs.

If you shoot mostly in studio, and can shoot tethered, I would keep the 54M.  To me, tethered shooting in a studio is a huge advantage as I can compose and focus more accurately on the computer screen. If you are experiencing moire with the 54M, then I would recommend the 75LV or even the 54H.  The 54H has hardware to remove moire, and is perhaps the best overall studio back as it can produce moire-free images from 22MP to 88MP.

David

Hi David,
I researched all backs available today.

I considered Sinar first because I use 54M. The 75LV is a great back, but out of my budget. I don't want 54H/75H because of lack of preview screen. I keep 54M attached to a backup Contax 645.

Yair from Leaf referred me to their representative here, and we easily closed the deal in two or three days. I should receive Aptus 65 next week. I still worry about color and stability issues.

evgeny

Aptus 65 on Contax 645?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:38:39 pm »

John, thank you for referring to the Portrait 5 profile. I will try it.

NBP

• http://
Aptus 65 on Contax 645?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:34:03 pm »

Quote from: evgeny
Some reviews report issues with Aptus 65
- back firmware instability (does this still the case?)
- wide angle photography problems, because of small 7.2-micron pixel (what about Contax 35mm lens?)
- long useful exposure is limited to 8 sec, after which image quality quickly degrades (how is it compared to my 54M?)
- poor color accuracy, especially in tungsten light (how is it compared to my 54M?)
- noise levels at high iso (how is it compared to my 54M?)
- slow capture rate (I think it's the same as 54M)
- higher power consumption (well, that huge screen..)

Regards
Evgeny

Hi Evgeny,

I don't have Contax expirience, but I have been using an A65s on a Mamiya RZ67 for the past year & a A65 before that.

I have no experience of firmware instability, it's been rock solid for me, tethered with LC 11 through 11.2
I regualry shoot at 8secs +, use the "clean long exp" in the software when processing - again, no major probs at low iso's
I find colour acuraccy is bang on. (My retoucher loves Leaf files too.)

Your last 3 points:
That's MFDB - that's life at the moment.

evgeny

Aptus 65 on Contax 645?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 05:32:52 am »

Thank.
I will test Aptus 65 and post photos here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up