Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old vs. New Mamiya AF 80mm f2.8?  (Read 4143 times)

PLLove

Old vs. New Mamiya AF 80mm f2.8?
« on: February 08, 2009, 08:43:59 pm »

I am not that happy with my old Mamiya  AF 0 f2.8 lens. Is the new version substantially better in terms of sharpness and contrast?  I would really like something small and light weight.

Thanks,
Pat

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:05:55 pm »

Quote from: PLLove
I am not that happy with my old Mamiya  AF 0 f2.8 lens. Is the new version substantially better in terms of sharpness and contrast?  I would really like something small and light weight.

Thanks,
Pat

Sounds like you have a bad copy.  While my current 80 D lens is superior to the earlier non-D version I had, the older version was no slouch on my P45+ even wide open.  

Best,
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:06:17 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

PLLove

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:33:03 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Sounds like you have a bad copy.  While my current 80 D lens is superior to the earlier non-D version I had, the older version was no slouch on my P45+ even wide open.  

Best,

Maybe, I just see a substantial difference between my 150 f2.8 D, the 105-210 ULD vs. my 80 f2.8.  Maybe I should consider sending it to Mamiya for cleaning & calibration.

-Pat

zView

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:59:00 pm »

Quote from: PLLove
Maybe, I just see a substantial difference between my 150 f2.8 D, the 105-210 ULD vs. my 80 f2.8.  Maybe I should consider sending it to Mamiya for cleaning & calibration.

-Pat

The 80 D is by far the best Mamiya AFD lens and much better than the old one.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:33:04 pm »

I never did a side by side of the two but I love the D one much better than the old one that AF clutch to me is essential and any lens Mamiya has that I want. I do not like going to the body to switch off the AF , being on the lens to me is the way to go in almost all cases. Go AF than switch to manual to hold it or fine tune it. Yes you can hold with a rear button also but i still am a old throwback to manual focusing. I think it is the better lens but I can't prove it optically. Certainly the 80D took all the P65 it could give it from our testing.

Having said all that the 150 2.8 D i have yet to see anything sharper in MF so far. Damn thing is scary sharp
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

PLLove

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 05:06:43 pm »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
I never did a side by side of the two but I love the D one much better than the old one that AF clutch to me is essential and any lens Mamiya has that I want. I do not like going to the body to switch off the AF , being on the lens to me is the way to go in almost all cases. Go AF than switch to manual to hold it or fine tune it. Yes you can hold with a rear button also but i still am a old throwback to manual focusing. I think it is the better lens but I can't prove it optically. Certainly the 80D took all the P65 it could give it from our testing.

Having said all that the 150 2.8 D i have yet to see anything sharper in MF so far. Damn thing is scary sharp

Yeah, I couldn't believe it but the 150 D is as sharp as the 120 Macro!  It is an incredible lens.

I will try and the newer 80mm version!

Thanks,
Pat

Josh l.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:56 am »

speaking of new Mamiya lenses does anyone have any news on when the new 80 leaf shutter is coming out, if its soon I may hold out for it otherwise I'm just going to get the 80 D

michele

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:43:41 am »

When i bought my P45+ i tested the two 80s from mamiya and the differences in terms of resolution and sharpness were huge! The old one has something like a veil...a mid grey veil... This consideration it's good also for 35mm and i guess for all the non-digital lenses. They are good, i mean you can work with old style lenses, but the digital design it's tack sharp and you'll find yourself asking if you really need to sharpening...

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 09:19:16 am »

When we tested the P65 that is Jack and myself back in November with a pre-production unit the 80 D was pulling in the same detail as the 150 2.8 D. Of the several D lenses that Mamiya has these 2 are among the best. I have the 28mm D lens also and it is very good except the corners are a touch soft and in C1 I made a corner sharpness pre-set from a 35mm lens that I apply to the 28mm and it works very well. The one D lens that Jack received was the new 45mm D that was a disappointment and no better than the current one, now don't know the final score on what has been done if anything or Jack got a bad copy. I see Michael ordered one also and want to see how his copy of the 45mm D lens holds up. I really want that lens but if no better than forget it. Right now i have a nice copy of the current 35mm and current 55mm but I want that AF clutch on my lenses and the 55m does not have it. If that 45D lens can improve than I will get one but that is a big if right now. I think if your on the fence on the 80d than i would jump over and get it. That clutch alone is worth it's weight in gold to me and the lens is very sharp.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt
Pages: [1]   Go Up