Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trimmer advice sought  (Read 23260 times)

MHMG

Re: Trimmer advice sought
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »

I'm sure the Rotratrim would be fantastic. But I'm definitely in the "poor man's" category of printmakers. My solution to print trimming is a glass table top on my 4x8 foot work table, a box cutter, and 100 blade box of utility blades purchased at the local hardware store. The glass table top was about $100, and covers the whole work surface. I throw away the utility blades the moment they start to show any dullness which occurs gradually after several large print trimmings, but they are pennies apiece. These blades cut paper and canvas adeptly, but do not scratch the glass.  I let the printer print my cut lines, and I just use a simple aluminum straight edge easily laid down along the cut lines, also purchased at the hardware store for just a few dollars. Sure, I'd still like a Rotratrim, but probably only one for cutting smaller prints (i.e., 16x20 inch or less) which can be quickly rotated on the cutting surface. When working with big prints, I've gotten really fast at walking around my glass table top, thus not having to turn the print around at all as one would have to do with a rotary cutter. My method would undoubtedly never be used in a high-end printing studio, but it works quite well, actually.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:36:07 pm by MHMG »

deanwork

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 03:01:54 am »

If you had a Rotratrim 52" like I bought 10 years ago you would wonder how you survived before having one.

Of all the various equipment I've run through (tons of big Epson printers an expensive Macs for instance)  this thing still looks and works like the day I bought it. They are in a class by themselves. This is one of the last examples of great craftsman ship and price of manufacture. Good job England.  With that self-sharpening blade it's always sharp and ready for action. I couldn't live without one now.

john

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 08:59:59 am »

A friend of mine uses a couple of 3/4" plexiglass sections that have been glued together. I think the combined piece is 4 feet long by about 1.5" thick and about 5 inches wide. Works like a charm with razor blades.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Benny Profane

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 09:04:45 am »

I don't own a Rotatrim, but have used one a lot at the local FedEx to trim prints. These things, as you can imagine, are abused on a daily basis, and, I can still cut 1/8" off the edge of a print accurately. Whenever I set up a print studio of my own with room for a trimming area, I'm definitely buying one.

Alto

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2011, 04:14:48 pm »

Hi All

Well all I can say is I have a rotatrim it has been in use professionally for about 15 or more years and over that time has cut tens of thousands of prints its still sharp and works with out any problems the only thing I did was to take the reverse cut stop off (or what ever its called )
oh and I think it's had a new set of plastic bushes on the guide bars but apart from that I don't think you could do better. Just buy one .

Jon

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2011, 05:17:26 am »

What about a 60" + sized trimmer? Would you guys recommend this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222580-REG/Rotatrim_RC_RCDT1850.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up