Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P65 Interest & Questions  (Read 3051 times)

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
P65 Interest & Questions
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:40:44 am »

I use the H3DII39 but the P65+ has peaked my interest primarily for one reason: long exposure.

I am comfortable with the workflow I have with the H3DII39, using Phocus PC and it's working out but as a landscape photographer the 32 second exposure limit is hurting me - but other than this I am happy. So my questions are:

1. Will the P65+ back work on an H1 body (which I have for film for long exposures)?

2. What is the longest exposure with the P65+?

3. Do you think it'll be a disruptive workflow to shoot with the H3DII39 and then switch to the H1 with a P65+ back for longer exposures (not worried about the H1 aspect, it's profile is setup the same as the H3DII, I'm more concerned with any interruption or is it minimal)?

Any other tips or guidance would be appreciated as my primary concern is longer exposure. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Derek

BJNY

P65 Interest & Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:47:25 am »

According to http://www.phaseone.com/upload/pplusoverview_002.pdf
P65+ is only up to one minute compared against up to one hour for their other Kodak-based digital backs
Guillermo

lance_schad

P65 Interest & Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:00:35 pm »

Quote from: jecxz
I use the H3DII39 but the P65+ has peaked my interest primarily for one reason: long exposure.

I am comfortable with the workflow I have with the H3DII39, using Phocus PC and it's working out but as a landscape photographer the 32 second exposure limit is hurting me - but other than this I am happy. So my questions are:

1. Will the P65+ back work on an H1 body (which I have for film for long exposures)?

2. What is the longest exposure with the P65+?

3. Do you think it'll be a disruptive workflow to shoot with the H3DII39 and then switch to the H1 with a P65+ back for longer exposures (not worried about the H1 aspect, it's profile is setup the same as the H3DII, I'm more concerned with any interruption or is it minimal)?

Any other tips or guidance would be appreciated as my primary concern is longer exposure. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Derek

1. Yes the P65+ is available in the following mounts H,V,PhaseOne-645M, and Contax. It can also be used on the RZ/RZ ProIID via adapter and a variety of technical cameras.
2. The longest exposure is 60 seconds on the 65+ . It is stated up to 1 hour on other Plus series via their literature. Here is a link to a 30 minute exposure that Jack Flesher just did out on his trip to Moab : http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/mv_night.jpg .
Exposures are dependent on ambient temperature as well.
3. IS an extra 28 seconds exposure going to be worth it?

Lance

LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

Harold Clark

P65 Interest & Questions
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:03:46 pm »

Quote from: lance_schad
1. Yes the P65+ is available in the following mounts H,V,PhaseOne-645M, and Contax. It can also be used on the RZ/RZ ProIID via adapter and a variety of technical cameras.
2. The longest exposure is 60 seconds on the 65+ . It is stated up to 1 hour on other Plus series via their literature. Here is a link to a 30 minute exposure that Jack Flesher just did out on his trip to Moab : http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/mv_night.jpg .
Exposures are dependent on ambient temperature as well.
3. IS an extra 28 seconds exposure going to be worth it?

Lance

Will future upgrades allow longer exposures, or is this a technical limitation of this chip?

thanks

lance_schad

P65 Interest & Questions
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:19:34 pm »

Quote from: Harold Clark
Will future upgrades allow longer exposures, or is this a technical limitation of this chip?

thanks

That remains to be seen.
If you look at other brands of MFDB's the P65+ specs show that it doubles their current exposure times ( ie: Sinar, Leaf and Hasselblad) which are in 30-32 second range.
Phase One has some incredible technologies that allow them to get double the ISO and up to 60 minute exposures out of the same Kodak chips that others are using currently.
So with that being said I have heard nothing from Phase One themselves.

Lance
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:21:13 pm by lance_schad »
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
P65 Interest & Questions
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:24:18 pm »

Quote from: Harold Clark

thanks

Kevin Raber stated that he performed 2 minute exposures in the Antarctic. Perhaps the temps helped there. It's not quite that cold in Atlanta, GA (although it was 16 degrees this morning), so we'll see.

When I get a P65+ in my hands, I'll do some testing and see how it fares. For now, if longer than one minute exposures are a critical element of the purchase decision, I would look at the P25+/30+/45+.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
P65 Interest & Questions
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:20:13 am »

Hi Steve, In the last three years I've made only a few exposures in the 81 sec. iso 50 range so I don't do lots of long exposures.  However I would like to know what the 65+ will do at 2 minutes.  Could you get some specifics from Kevin on his findings at 2 minutes.  He mentioned to me there were "great" but would like to know specifically what that means relative to iso, noise, black pixel speckles, etc etc.  Many thanks, Eleanor

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Kevin Raber stated that he performed 2 minute exposures in the Antarctic. Perhaps the temps helped there. It's not quite that cold in Atlanta, GA (although it was 16 degrees this morning), so we'll see.

When I get a P65+ in my hands, I'll do some testing and see how it fares. For now, if longer than one minute exposures are a critical element of the purchase decision, I would look at the P25+/30+/45+.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro
Pages: [1]   Go Up