Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sad Demise of the 5D  (Read 15629 times)

lovell

• http://
The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 11:29:35 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
I don't know if it is the case, but yes, it is totally possible.

The latest version of OSX will for instance not support anymore older PowerPC applications,...

Cheers,
Bernard

Operating systems are one thing.  Raw converters are another.  

I have no reason to believe that in 10 years anyone will not be able to process 5D raw images.  And in fact I believe this to be true in 500 years as well.

Wondering if our old raw images are processable in X years is the least of our worries.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:30:15 am by lovell »
After composition, everything else is secondary--Alfred Steiglitz, NYC, 1927.

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

lovell

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 11:35:34 am »

Quote from: Ray
One point that has been overlooked in this thread is the durability of the 5D. The shutter is good for only 100,000 actuations. I've used my 5D for 3 1/2 years. I'm pretty close to the 100,000 mark. The mirror has already fallen off and been repaired. The next thing to go will likely be the shutter.

Can anyone tell me if the mirror housing assembly, which was replaced, includes the shutter? I mean, they didn't just stick the mirror back on. They replaced a whole assembly.

Replacement shutter is no big deal.  Around $200.

Replacement of the mirror is not an auto-replacement of the shutter.

So for $200 you're good to go for another 100,000 actuations.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:47:08 am by lovell »

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

lovell

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 11:44:01 am »

Quote from: jani
And, obviously, the users don't want:

- larger viewfinder coverage (even though it's not at pro spec)
 - better dynamic range
 - better colour depth
 - better low-light ISO
 - live view
 - bigger and better LCD screen
 - bigger print size
 - AF microadjustment (ok, so it's of limited use, but better than nothing)
 - sensor cleaning
 - two extra custom modes
 - IR remote
 - improved battery status and battery info for individual batteries
 - permanent ISO display in viewfinder
 - CF+ and UDMA cards
 - dedicated AF-on button
 - creative auto mode
 - potentially faster autofocus (allegedly better AF processing)

Some things are just different, like the battery, battery grip, wireless grip, etc.

While not all of these may be interesting to you, personally, I don't see that your claim of "trash" can be warranted. The current (and serious!) concerns regarding water resistance non-withstanding.

If this camera's new features are such big problems for you, just don't buy the camera! Buy the old model, used, in 5-packs, if you want.

But this kind of whining is just silly.

So Jani, are you married to your 5D mark II?  Just curious, as you obviously were upset by someone's "whining".  You took it so, so personal.

And what good are all those nice "features" you listed if most are not required?

At the end of the day, the same crud AF mechanism & logic was used, and nearly the same DR, and the frame-rate is just a nit faster.  Sure, it provides 1-2 stops less noise and that is great, but I'm going to skip this one for the Mark III or IV, in the hope that the replacement will provide 1D type AF (remember the EOS-3 film body), 45 FP's and at least 1-2 stops wider DR.  All this hoping aside, the Mark II is just a tad better then the Mark I with a lot of "nice to have" features, but only a few "gotta haves".  Big deal!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:45:36 am by lovell »

Pelao

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 05:02:05 pm »

The latest version of OSX will for instance not support anymore older PowerPC applications,...

That's not accurate.

The forthcoming Snow leopard , OS X 10.6, will not run on PPC Macs. But just as with current Intel Macs, it will run older apps that were designed for PPC. For example, MS Office 2004 is PPC only, but will run on Intel machines.

jani

• Øyet
The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 05:38:07 pm »

Quote from: lovell
So Jani, are you married to your 5D mark II?
No, I don't even own one.

Just curious, as you obviously were upset by someone's "whining".  You took it so, so personal.
And you need to learn to see things in other than black-or-white.
Jan
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up