Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic LX3...preferred choice over the G10  (Read 3707 times)

lensfactory

Panasonic LX3...preferred choice over the G10
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:20:50 pm »

The LX3 is currently is low in stock and a tad more expensive than the G10. Shame, as I recently purchased one and will be selling the G10. Ive owned the LX1 and LX2 as well as the G9 and G10, and though I really liked the G10's 28mm wide...the LX3 is ..well..a BRILLIANT point and shoot for the creative photographer and i'll give you a few reasons why...

Though lacking the 'reach' of the G10, the 24mm wide angle and different aspect ratios are a definate plus ( I love 16:9). THe G10's focus on the long end is complete crap btw...hasn't anyone noticed?!?

The HD video is great....really what you want in a p&s. I don't care about video in an SLR, but in a P&S I actually use it...for my infant son, trips etc.

Is actually pocketable unlike the G10. I actually prefer the one-hand joystick functionality of the LX3. The dials are nice on the top of the G10 and harken back to a 'classic' camera style....but you need two hands to adjust. You get used to flipping really quickly with the joystick.

It has a double (actually triple if you want) exposure mode. Huh?!? Well...I think that's BRILLIANT! I haven't experimented with dbl exposure since film. Forget about photoshop...who ever composes for multiple layers of different shots and blends them for a double exposure? I don't....It's nice to revisit this simple and creative way of shooting.

MAJOR PLUS- In manual focus it shows you your dof range on a scale. On the G10 it just shows you your distance. On the lcd the thickness of the bar shows you your range. VERY handy when you want ultra-fast responsiveness from your camera (manual focus cutting the lag time).

I put a voigtlander 21mm viewfinder on it, and the brightlines correspond VERY well to the 24mm lens. The PERFECT portable streetshooter. It has a mode for the viewfinder that turns the LCD off (except for review etc. ) also saving battery power.

GREAT IQ in the raws. Really.

A few shortcomings....In the available literature when it came out...it said there was no lens adaptor available. THere IS. I use a 360 degree lens attachment, and prefer using a P&S with macro, but need it to fit. Not a problem anymore, but this was a reason me not buying one in the first place.
It doesn't have a connection for a remote shutter. This is a problem for me...as I also occasionally need my P&S for pole photography and need it. Well..there is a finely made ,old school, mechanical remote made> http://kleptography.com/rf/ and that's a bargain compared to most modern remotes.

I don't think MR has given this camera a fair workout, because i'm surprised this camera isn't highly recomended on this forum when discussing the G10. I suspect it's the limited availability (especially here in Canada) and the higher price (due to high US dollar mostly).

Would love to hear the other point of view. Those that have extensively used both and why the G10 is the better choice...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:23:22 pm by lensfactory »

Snook

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:10:52 am »

How about those HORRIBLE batteries!!!
Did they improve at all..?
WORST batteries I have ever had were with my D-Lux 3.
Hope they fixed that.
Snook
PS. Thanks for the info

Deep

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:35:45 am »

Like many, I have been considering both these cameras.  I finally handled a G10 recently and was unpleasantly surprised - the finish is very cheap compared to the LX3.  That counts for a bit with me.  Now I'm biding my time, seeing if someone brings out a small enough micro 4/3 camera.  Otherwise the LX3 looks good.
Don

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:11:32 am »

I own a LX1 and a G10 , my wife use the LX1 :-)

Er1kksen

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:55:59 pm »

Quote from: Deep
Like many, I have been considering both these cameras.  I finally handled a G10 recently and was unpleasantly surprised - the finish is very cheap compared to the LX3.  That counts for a bit with me.  Now I'm biding my time, seeing if someone brings out a small enough micro 4/3 camera.  Otherwise the LX3 looks good.

Beware, official word is that Olympus will in fact be announcing new compact-styled micro four-thirds cameras soon, but will not be showing them at PMA. That means they'll be coming sometime after PMA (a bad choice imo, some people who are waiting for one at PMA will say "well it's not here, I'm going to buy a G10/LX3 instead").

Deep

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:12:48 pm »

Quote from: Er1kksen
Beware, official word is that Olympus will in fact be announcing new compact-styled micro four-thirds cameras soon, but will not be showing them at PMA. That means they'll be coming sometime after PMA (a bad choice imo, some people who are waiting for one at PMA will say "well it's not here, I'm going to buy a G10/LX3 instead").

Thanks for that!  No rush for me and I think this is a good time for patience.  Even after these cameras get produced, I wouldn't leap in until they were proven a bit and the price had done it's initial drop.  Like many, I think lens choice could make or break it for me.  I've seen a mockup photo with a 12mm/2.8 (f4 would be fine too), Panasonic are producing a 20/1.7, so all I'd need would be a 45ish fast prime.  Zooms would kill the tiny size for me.  Anyhow, that all takes time to filter into the market so I'll battle on with 2 SLRs and a modest Minox for a bit longer.
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up