Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 crashes in Lightroom  (Read 2287 times)

Dave Dunham

Z3100 crashes in Lightroom
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:09:34 pm »

I installed the latest fireware on my Z3100 a few days ago and since doing so Lightroom 2 crashes when I select Vendor in the Print Module rather than Colorsync.  Not so with CS 4.  In fact that selection is grayed out in CS 4. Also the AUTOMATIC selection was not available before in LR2.

Previously I selected VENDOR before printing with success.  Not sure what selection to make now since VENDOR will sure cause LR to crash.

Also of interest, I received an email from HP this a.m. informing me of an outdate to the fireware.  I updated in did find a few changes, but LR still crashes.    (Never received an email from HP about any damn thing until this morning.  Maybe there is an update to more than just fireware.)

[attachment=11479:LL2.jpg]

garyfcampbell

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »

Quote from: Dave Dunham
I installed the latest fireware on my Z3100 a few days ago and since doing so Lightroom 2 crashes when I select Vendor in the Print Module rather than Colorsync.  Not so with CS 4.  In fact that selection is grayed out in CS 4. Also the AUTOMATIC selection was not available before in LR2.

Previously I selected VENDOR before printing with success.  Not sure what selection to make now since VENDOR will sure cause LR to crash.

Also of interest, I received an email from HP this a.m. informing me of an outdate to the fireware.  I updated in did find a few changes, but LR still crashes.    (Never received an email from HP about any damn thing until this morning.  Maybe there is an update to more than just fireware.)

[attachment=11479:LL2.jpg]
Hi,

1st - Make sure you installed the Z3100 driver that goes along with the firmware, usually they are released in pairs.

The Mac OSX current driver for the Z3100 is 2.3.1, you can see that from the printer driver's "Summary" dialog.

2nd - In LR 2.2(I don't know about other versions) the Printer Driver's "Color Matching" dialog has the two choices greyed out on my system.

3rd - Instead specify the color management from LR's Print Panel.

Click on "Profile" and select either Managed by Printer, or select the paper's ICC profile.

Dave Dunham

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:59:10 am »

Thanks Gary,

All files are the proper ones without any luck, but things have got more difficult to deal with.

LR's Color Match changes with each picture and with each opening of LR.  When I load a new picture I never know what I'll get.  Sometime Color Match is grayed out.  At other times Vender is highlighted, but if I attempt to change to Colorsync, LR will crash.  If Colorsync is highlighted and I try to change it will crash.

Heres what I've done:

1.  Uninstalled LR and reinstall.  No Luck!

2.  Uninstalled drivers and firmware and reinstalled.   No luck.

3.  Reinstalled OS.   No luck  

At present I'm loading 10.5, firmware and driver, and LR on my laptop.

Just about to loose it.

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:40:02 am »

Quote from: Dave Dunham
Thanks Gary,

All files are the proper ones without any luck, but things have got more difficult to deal with.

LR's Color Match changes with each picture and with each opening of LR.  When I load a new picture I never know what I'll get.  Sometime Color Match is grayed out.  At other times Vender is highlighted, but if I attempt to change to Colorsync, LR will crash.  If Colorsync is highlighted and I try to change it will crash.

Heres what I've done:

1.  Uninstalled LR and reinstall.  No Luck!

2.  Uninstalled drivers and firmware and reinstalled.   No luck.

3.  Reinstalled OS.   No luck  

At present I'm loading 10.5, firmware and driver, and LR on my laptop.

Just about to loose it.

Dave,

I've had similar issues.  Yesterday, for some unknown reason, I couldn't print through LR and my z3100.  The Printer Utility would load but not "see" my z3100.  I reinstalled drivers and print utilities probably 10 times. Ultimately, I was successful by basically deleting every reference to the Designjet/z3100/HP anything in my Libraries Folders on my mac.  Then, reinstalled printer driver and utility.  That got me back up and running.

However, I too seem to have the bug (can we call it that yet?) where LR can't figure out what to gray out and what to keep as an open choice in the Print Settings.  Sometimes, when opening an image and going to Print Settings, I can choose whether I have ColorSync or Vendor, other times, it's grayed out (when it's grayed out, it's always on Vendor, I think).  Then, however, I have to choose (over on the right sidebar) to have printer manage color profiles.  If instead, I choose one of my other icc profiles, I get a warning dialogue box when I press Print that basically tells me that there's a conflict and my printed image's color will probably be off.  

So now, given I haven't quite figured out the rhyme or reason behind everything (when are things grayed out and when are they not, when can I use printer manages profiles or other icc profiles), I'm trying to see what output looks like with Vendor checked (sometimes by choice, other times because LR grays it out for me) and then I have the printer manage the profile.

So far, after two prints, this seems ok.  The colors are as I expect them.  So, perhaps, as long as the printer's profile is accurate, this is how we "work around" these bugs and confusing processes.

Here's a recent discussion I'm following too on a, what sounds like, similar issue: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?p=36636

And another, that seems to hit some of the issues: http://www.8thcross.com/blog/?p=175

-Josh
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:14:17 pm by JDBFreeheel »

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:07:08 pm »

Ok, More to report as I played with a few options this morning.

I decided to print an image and play with the different options (based on what's available), etc.  Here's what I've discovered; most of which makes sense to me.

1) When I open LR (2.2) and open an image in the Print Module, if I pull up the Print Dialogue box, I am able to go down to the lower section (separated by the horizontal line) into Paper settings.  Here, besides setting the paper, you can choose the color options.  It appears that the HP driver determines what is available here.  If you have not chosen anything on the right printer pane in the Print Module (meaning you have not chosen any icc profiles) you can choose options on color management (Let Application, Let Printer, etc).  

2) HOWEVER, if you choose a specific icc profile (so, for example I chose a new profile I made using the HP Printer Utility, "HP Z3100, Moab Photo Lasal Matte") in that right side panel, and then go into the Print button section and go to Paper settings, there is no option to determine what color management to use.  My hunch is that because an icc profile has been selected, you simply do not get the option to determine how color is managed.  HP print driver allows LR to override it and basically says, "Fine, if LR is managing color using an icc profile, I'm not going to allow double color management."

3) To check this, I then went up to the Color Matching dialogue option(in the top section of the Print Dialogue, above the horizontal Line) and checked to see what options, if any, there are there.  They, to be expected, were grayed out with Color Sync selected and Vendor open, with no way to change.  This seems to confirm to me that again, LR overrules HP driver and determines that the icc profile selected will be used and nothing else (meaning Vendor/HP Printer) can do anything about it.

I printed my test image and the colors came out as I wanted/expected.  

So, although quirky, I think that LR and HP Printer Drivers work together to eliminate options for double color management.  

4) On the other hand, if you choose "Managed by Printer" on the right side and then go into the Print Button Dialogue, you can then go into Color Matching, choose how you want things set up Color Sync (and then choose what icc profile, color space, etc) in the paper section OR choose Vendor Matched (and then your options are again disabled in the paper section.

For me, it appears the best settings right now, in my limited testing (I've had the printer for 1 week) is to use the LR right side menus to choose the correct icc profile (which I make using the z3100) and then in the Print Dialogue, allow ColorSync (as it's grayed out) and then make sure I've chosen the correct paper in the paper setting.  Color Management is disabled and the dialogue box tells you as much if you go into the color section of the paper setting area.

I'm not sure this makes sense, but I've had no crashes and paper/colors seem to be coming out as expected.

-Josh

Dave Dunham

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 06:00:18 pm »

Quote from: JDBFreeheel
Ok, More to report as I played with a few options this morning.

I decided to print an image and play with the different options (based on what's available), etc.  Here's what I've discovered; most of which makes sense to me.

1) When I open LR (2.2) and open an image in the Print Module, if I pull up the Print Dialogue box, I am able to go down to the lower section (separated by the horizontal line) into Paper settings.  Here, besides setting the paper, you can choose the color options.  It appears that the HP driver determines what is available here.  If you have not chosen anything on the right printer pane in the Print Module (meaning you have not chosen any icc profiles) you can choose options on color management (Let Application, Let Printer, etc).  

2) HOWEVER, if you choose a specific icc profile (so, for example I chose a new profile I made using the HP Printer Utility, "HP Z3100, Moab Photo Lasal Matte") in that right side panel, and then go into the Print button section and go to Paper settings, there is no option to determine what color management to use.  My hunch is that because an icc profile has been selected, you simply do not get the option to determine how color is managed.  HP print driver allows LR to override it and basically says, "Fine, if LR is managing color using an icc profile, I'm not going to allow double color management."

3) To check this, I then went up to the Color Matching dialogue option(in the top section of the Print Dialogue, above the horizontal Line) and checked to see what options, if any, there are there.  They, to be expected, were grayed out with Color Sync selected and Vendor open, with no way to change.  This seems to confirm to me that again, LR overrules HP driver and determines that the icc profile selected will be used and nothing else (meaning Vendor/HP Printer) can do anything about it.

I printed my test image and the colors came out as I wanted/expected.  

So, although quirky, I think that LR and HP Printer Drivers work together to eliminate options for double color management.  

4) On the other hand, if you choose "Managed by Printer" on the right side and then go into the Print Button Dialogue, you can then go into Color Matching, choose how you want things set up Color Sync (and then choose what icc profile, color space, etc) in the paper section OR choose Vendor Matched (and then your options are again disabled in the paper section.

For me, it appears the best settings right now, in my limited testing (I've had the printer for 1 week) is to use the LR right side menus to choose the correct icc profile (which I make using the z3100) and then in the Print Dialogue, allow ColorSync (as it's grayed out) and then make sure I've chosen the correct paper in the paper setting.  Color Management is disabled and the dialogue box tells you as much if you go into the color section of the paper setting area.

I'm not sure this makes sense, but I've had no crashes and paper/colors seem to be coming out as expected.

-Josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up