Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera to Print Video Question  (Read 4122 times)

tpmoran

Camera to Print Video Question
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:11:14 am »

For those of you who have purchased the video C2P I was wondering if this tutorial finally enabled you to print B&W and Color images so that the output was pretty close to the monitor output and you have a better understanding of paper choices?

I have mixed results with B&W (actually it's a crap shot). Color printing is better. What I am trying to understand is how to put all the pieces together so that when I want to print I have a much higher level of confidence that what what comes out of the printer is close to what it looks like on the monitor.
Generally, my B&W prints come in way too light out of PS2. I haven't tried printing in Lightroom - yet.

When it comes to paper I am totally confused and would like to settle in with some tried and true papers versus wandering around the store guessing.

I have an Epson 3800, Spyder 2, PS CS3, and Light Room 2.2. I use a Nikon D300.

Thanks in advance for your insight and thoughts

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:27:58 am »

Quote from: tpmoran
For those of you who have purchased the video C2P I was wondering if this tutorial finally enabled you to print B&W and Color images so that the output was pretty close to the monitor output and you have a better understanding of paper choices?

I have mixed results with B&W (actually it's a crap shot). Color printing is better. What I am trying to understand is how to put all the pieces together so that when I want to print I have a much higher level of confidence that what what comes out of the printer is close to what it looks like on the monitor.
Generally, my B&W prints come in way too light out of PS2. I haven't tried printing in Lightroom - yet.

When it comes to paper I am totally confused and would like to settle in with some tried and true papers versus wandering around the store guessing.

I have an Epson 3800, Spyder 2, PS CS3, and Light Room 2.2. I use a Nikon D300.

Thanks in advance for your insight and thoughts

Learning color management is like an asymptotic curve that approaches but never completely reaches the goal, at least for me.  However the Camera To Print videos cover all of the bases in a clear and forthright manner.  As you view the segments you will say "Ahaa!" many times, and go try out the recommendations.  But you will find yourself going back to the videos numerous times, each time seeing something you had missed.  Suplemented with Andrew Rodney's tutorial on the Digital Dog website, the gaps will really be filled in.

As far as your B&W prints coming out too dark, I don't think it is possible for your color prints not to be too dark also.  Either you are less aware of the tone levels when color is introduced, or you are letting Photoshop manage color but letting the printer make the choices in the B&W prints.

tpmoran

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:55:09 pm »

Thanks for the response and the reference to digital dog. That place has a huge amount of articles to read.
Also, thanks for the mathematical term "asymptotic". Had to look that one up. And then felt like I was on a quest like Don Quixote.
Sigh....
for the sort term I have my reading cut out for me.
Thanks again
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:58:40 pm by tpmoran »
Pages: [1]   Go Up