Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DXO Optics and Canon G10  (Read 18650 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
DXO Optics and Canon G10
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 09:40:35 am »

One quick sampe from G10 converted with DxO 5.3.2. The correction of lens distorsion seems to work very well but I have not tried all focal lenghts yet.

Conversion to B&W done with Silver FX.

Cheers,
Bernard

francois

DXO Optics and Canon G10
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:24 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
One quick sampe from G10 converted with DxO 5.3.2. The correction of lens distorsion seems to work very well but I have not tried all focal lenghts yet.

Conversion to B&W done with Silver FX.

Cheers,
Bernard
Wow, that's impressive. Finally, I might put some money into DxO!
Francois

Ray

DXO Optics and Canon G10
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 10:46:51 am »

Quote from: francois
Wow, that's impressive. Finally, I might put some money into DxO!

The problem is, we don't have comparisons with other methods of correction of lens distortion. I find that correction of distortion is quite easy with Photoshop's warp and distort features. Correction of chromatic abberration or color fringing is also effective in ACR.

Is the advantage here in DXO correction of lens distortion, that more of the image is preserved? Or is it just faster because it's automatic? Both would be advantages.

francois

DXO Optics and Canon G10
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 11:05:23 am »

Quote from: Ray
The problem is, we don't have comparisons with other methods of correction of lens distortion. I find that correction of distortion is quite easy with Photoshop's warp and distort features. Correction of chromatic abberration or color fringing is also effective in ACR.

Is the advantage here in DXO correction of lens distortion, that more of the image is preserved? Or is it just faster because it's automatic? Both would be advantages.

I agree that corrections of both chromatic abberration and distortion can be done very effectively in Photoshop. The main attraction - for me - is that DxO performs these corrections automatically. I would use it for photos from cameras like the G10.

I've never seen/read any scientific or non-scientific comparison of DxO vs others and I'd be the first to be interested in such a test.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:11:44 am by francois »
Francois

Misirlou

• http://
DXO Optics and Canon G10
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 11:05:41 am »

Quote from: Ray

Before I got DxO working, I used the CA controls in LR or ACR, and corrected distortion with PTlens. I still go that route for unsupported cameras and lenses. In my experience, DxO corrections are always at least as good as those alternatives. Some of the other things DxO does (like lens softness) make other substantial improvements that aren't really easy to accomplish with the others anyway. But the DxO automation takes all the hand work out of the process, significantly streamlining my workflow, and that's the real key for me.

For some reason, DPP has stopped applying lens corrrections to my 40D files. I reinstalled it, but it still won't work. So I can't make any comparisons there.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up