Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output Sharpening Question  (Read 2183 times)

RDG

Output Sharpening Question
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:04:25 pm »

I have a question about the proper procedure to use before applying “output sharpener” in Pixelgenius Sharpener. Do I first uprez or downrez to the specified pixels per inch in Photoshop before I select the settings in output sharpener.

I understand that output sharpener works by creating an appropriate halo size for the final print (which will not actually be visible on the print). In order for the output sharpener to produce the right halo size the applicable ppi and the paper type have to be selected.  Consequently, the image should be at the size it will be printed at so that the appropriate sharpening setting for the final  PPI can be selected and applied.

Pixelgenius Sharpener allows for sharpening at a number of specified PPIs  -180, 240, 360 etc.  I note that Bruce Fraser, one of the creators of Pixel Genius Sharpener, in his book on sharpening,  said that contrary to popular belief it was best to leave a print at  of its natural ppi once it was sized, and not uprez or downrez  the ppi to precisely 180, 240, 300 etc.

On the other hand, the proper halo size in “output sharpener” is achieved  by picking those specific ppi figures (180, 240, 300 etc.).

The question I have is: After picking my image size, should I up-rez or down-rez so that the PPI is exactly 180, 240 or 300  etc - or should I simply leave the ppi at its natural figure and then apply the sharpening setting which is closest to that resolution? – Eg: After setting output size, the PPI is 342 so should I set output sharpening for 360 PPI without uprezzing?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Output Sharpening Question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:35:14 pm »

Quote from: RDG
I have a question about the proper procedure to use before applying “output sharpener” in Pixelgenius Sharpener. Do I first uprez or downrez to the specified pixels per inch in Photoshop before I select the settings in output sharpener.

Output sharpening is done to final output size/Rez based on what you've currently set the document to in Photoshop.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up