Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sd card problem  (Read 2310 times)

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
Sd card problem
« on: December 28, 2008, 05:26:20 pm »

Hi ,  
 I bought a Sandisk 4gb extreme 3 sd card the other day and can't seem to access it through my computer. It works fine in my cameras and I can download into the computer from there but of course thats a very SLOW way of downloading. I have tried to reformat but the computer refuses to see it and so does any of the software I have like photorecovery. I'm not sure if its the Camera that has reformatted ( 1ds mk3 ) it some strange way ( as the camera formats the card ok.) or there is some driver sandisc has that is preventing the computer seeing the card.
I have other sandisc CF  cards and have never had a problem with those in the card reader I generally use - a belkin usb2 model, but it is my first Sandisc  sd card experience. Maybe its time for a new reader, or there may be a reader that is specific to this card. I use mac but have tried on PC but both systems don't like it at all and won't start with the card in the reader,
 I wondered if anyone had the same problem and how they resolved it.

dalethorn

Sd card problem
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:24:12 pm »

Quote from: SeanFS
Hi ,  
 I bought a Sandisk 4gb extreme 3 sd card the other day and can't seem to access it through my computer. It works fine in my cameras and I can download into the computer from there but of course thats a very SLOW way of downloading. I have tried to reformat but the computer refuses to see it and so does any of the software I have like photorecovery. I'm not sure if its the Camera that has reformatted ( 1ds mk3 ) it some strange way ( as the camera formats the card ok.) or there is some driver sandisc has that is preventing the computer seeing the card.
I have other sandisc CF  cards and have never had a problem with those in the card reader I generally use - a belkin usb2 model, but it is my first Sandisc  sd card experience. Maybe its time for a new reader, or there may be a reader that is specific to this card. I use mac but have tried on PC but both systems don't like it at all and won't start with the card in the reader,
 I wondered if anyone had the same problem and how they resolved it.
On some PC's with Windows, the SD card slot will not recognize 4 gb and up SD cards (SDHC).  But if you place the card into a USB adaptor, which comes with some cards, it should work fine plugged into the USB port.  I've had 100 percent success with all SD cards through USB.

BTW, never format the card on the computer.  Only format the card on the camera.

Roy

• http://
Sd card problem
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:26:01 pm »

Older card readers cannot read the newer SDHC (high capacity) cards. Your 4 GB card is SDHC. Your Belkin reader may not be compatible.
Roy

250swb

Sd card problem
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:44:03 am »

I'll just repeat the advice of dalethorn and say I have never had a problem recognising a card going through the USB port.........and you shouldn't be doing the formating in the computer anyway.

Steve

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Sd card problem
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:42:53 pm »

And if you get an 8GB SDHC, your notebook / reader may recognize the first 4GB properly, and any images falling into the higher 4GB zone may show up as corrupt, unless you use the included USB reader that came with the card. That one had me scratching my head for a bit.
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
Sd card problem
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 02:01:06 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
On some PC's with Windows, the SD card slot will not recognize 4 gb and up SD cards (SDHC).  But if you place the card into a USB adaptor, which comes with some cards, it should work fine plugged into the USB port.  I've had 100 percent success with all SD cards through USB.

BTW, never format the card on the computer.  Only format the card on the camera.

Thanks everyone for your help , I thought that might be the case and my reader is getting too old. I never have formatted a card on the computer except as an experiment with some older cards as flash storage which worked fine. The first Cf card I bought needed its own reader otherwise it didn't work - I was hoping we weren't moving back to those bad old days.

Roy

• http://
Sd card problem
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:58:26 am »

Quote from: SeanFS
Thanks everyone for your help , I thought that might be the case and my reader is getting too old. I never have formatted a card on the computer except as an experiment with some older cards as flash storage which worked fine. The first Cf card I bought needed its own reader otherwise it didn't work - I was hoping we weren't moving back to those bad old days.

Quite the opposite. Readers today are generic and compatibility is high. The problem you are experiencing is very likely from trying to use an older SD reader for an SDHC card. The cards have the same physical appearance, but SDHC is a newer standard for high capacity (HC, 4 GB and greater) cards. A new reader will read all SD and SDHC cards and newer cameras accept both SD and SDHC. There is absolutely no need to buy a specific reader for a specific card.

Look at Rob Galbraith's database and articles on cards and readers. Lots of unbiased info on performance of cards in a broad range of cameras as well as performance of card readers.

Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up