Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a quality semi-gloss  (Read 2662 times)

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
Looking for a quality semi-gloss
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:56:40 pm »

Hello,

Have searched the forums here and HP website but I cannot seem to find a really decent Semi-Gloss paper.

I am starting to mount using acrylic on the front of the print. I am getting C-type prints done for me and am mounting them fine.
But when it comes to inkjet I am having problems - silvering, which is a very fine bubbling.

This is caused by any texture on the paper. I need to go inkjet, because of costs (inhouse rather then outsource), and size limitations of the C-type printer.

So far I am using HP Professional Satin Photo paper - it's not working, am getting these fine bubbles.
HP's ID Gloss, is just too glossy.

I am looking for a semi gloss really.
I borrowed an Epson Semi Gloss paper and that works fine.

Can I use the Epson Semi Gloss in my Z3100? - Obviously I need outstanding colour and d-max response.
Are there Lightfastness figures for an Epson paper and Vivera inks?
Is there anything HP approved that I can use? I need the Lightfastness of 100 years or so - The HP Universal ID Semi Gloss is only useful for 3 months indoors.

All help most appreciated.

John

Edit: Speeling
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:08:01 pm by ThePhotoDude »

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:17:50 pm »

Quote from: ThePhotoDude
Hello,

Have searched the forums here and HP website but I cannot seem to find a really decent Semi-Gloss paper.

I am starting to mount using acrylic on the front of the print. I am getting C-type prints done for me and am mounting them fine.
But when it comes to inkjet I am having problems - silvering, which is a very fine bubbling.

This is caused by any texture on the paper. I need to go inkjet, because of costs (inhouse rather then outsource), and size limitations of the C-type printer.

So far I am using HP Professional Satin Photo paper - it's not working, am getting these fine bubbles.
HP's ID Gloss, is just too glossy.

I am looking for a semi gloss really.
I borrowed an Epson Semi Gloss paper and that works fine.

Can I use the Epson Semi Gloss in my Z3100? - Obviously I need outstanding colour and d-max response.
Are there Lightfastness figures for an Epson paper and Vivera inks?
Is there anything HP approved that I can use? I need the Lightfastness of 100 years or so - The HP Universal ID Semi Gloss is only useful for 3 months indoors.

All help most appreciated.

John

Edit: Speeling

Epson semigloss and premium glossy both work just fine on the Z3100, as does premium luster. All are pretty reasonably priced, so it might be worth making test prints on each and seeing if they mount the way you want them to. But is the problem really paper texture? Could it be outgassing?

The smoothest paper I have tried is Harman FB AI, for what it's worth. I don't really like the appearance from the Z3100, though; the paper base is too blue, the surface just too shiny.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 01:31:33 pm »

Have you tried the HP Instant-Dry Satin?
Regards,
Ron

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:50:19 pm »

You may want to try a polyester film, rather than a paper. Very slick surface.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

jjlphoto

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:26:35 am »

Isn't Pictorico Hi-Gloss Film the slickest?
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:30:16 pm »

Isn't the final image going to be glossy anyway? I've face mounted my fujichrome prints for years and I can't imagine you would notice a difference between HP Pro Satin and ID gloss once they are face mounted to plex. I have a friend that face mounts to Epson gloss and it works well, although this paper doesn't work too well on the z3100 (I've tried it).

- Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up