Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How safe is online overseas buying??  (Read 3623 times)

Humblenubie

How safe is online overseas buying??
« on: December 09, 2008, 03:16:41 am »

1. How safe is online buying of used cameras, especially costly $1000+ from ebay or other forum sources from overseas sellers ?
2. Is ebay or forums counter-check items to prove claims?
3. Is any responsibility to ensure claims and products offered are genuine ?
4. Any method to inspect-and-pay possibility ?
4. Any afterwards complaints are entertained and solved fruitfully?

5. If no, is it a gamble paying based on a stranger’s claim especially Cameras of $$$$$ ?  
6. If bad experiences what percentage ?
I hope this question is of common interest. Somebody please clarify, I need to make purchases from ebay overseas seller individuals.

Thanks for the advice.

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 06:18:55 am »

Quote from: Humblenubie
1. How safe is online buying of used cameras, especially costly $1000+ from ebay or other forum sources from overseas sellers ?

5. If no, is it a gamble paying based on a stranger’s claim especially Cameras of $$$$$ ?  
I hope this question is of common interest. Somebody please clarify, I need to make purchases from ebay overseas seller individuals.

Thanks for the advice.

If you get anything from ebay, pay, with paypal, you will be safe.

don't worry about you not going to get what you pay for, paypal will be with you

good luck.

now in here is the wrong place to ask, go to the coffee corner and ask again corner

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 09:49:52 pm »

Quote from: Humblenubie

Thanks for the advice.

There are no guarantees in life. You have to use good sense.

1. Check their feedback. Make sure that prior items sold are in the same ballpark as the present item. If they have a lot of good feedback for $2 items, and are now selling something for $2000, their feedback is not good.  They should have at least 20 positive feedbacks for a large ticket item.
2. Send them an email asking questions about the product. See how promptly and thoroughly they respond.
3. If they don't declare their return policy, ask them what it is.
4. Enter their name into google. See what comes up. Be sure to enter into google groups.
5. If in US, check on www.reselleratings.com

Yakim Peled

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:26:02 pm »

I don't use e-bay. Too scared. All my online B&S are done in the FM B&S forum. I just meticulously check/ask/request pictures etc. and if I feel the slightest inconvenience, I withdraw. I don't do much of these but WRT the few deals that did come through (both sale and purchase), I was never disappointed.

HTH.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:26:17 pm by Yakim Peled »
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

rhsu

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 05:37:06 pm »

Remember the fundamental rule regardless WHERE you buy from (even from your mother):  "Caveat emptor" - "Let the buyer beware"  

As per "Spotmeter" highlighted:  Ask LOTS-n-LOTS of questions.  With eBay, the number of positive feedbacks is generally a good indication coupled with paying via PayPal - you are quite safe.  When/if things go pear shape, paypal will resolve the matter BUT don't expect quick resolution - thus the only down side of it.  At the end of the day, you need to factor in your "calculated risk".  I have sold/purchased a lot on ebay and so far only had ONE bad pathom auction for a baby bath (won auction but seller sold to other at "buy now" price) - got money back and ebay seller stuck off! (but then again, s/he can recreate a new one with a new bank a/c - BUT will have to start feedback afresh from zero - not somethin you want if one is going to sell a lot on ebay.  Lastly, I would hestitate purchasing $20K MFDB notwithstand ad says  "sold as is in excellent working conditions".  Good luck!

Alistair

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 07:17:52 pm »

I find it depends upon where overseas you are buying from. Living in the UK, things are expensive here (as I guess they are for you folk in Canada) so I frequently buy overseas. I have had very good experience buying from Hong Kong and Singapore. I have had problems with purchases from both United States and Russia.  Not a scientific sample, sure. But I only buy HongKong and Singapore now.
Alistair

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 04:18:08 am »

I have bought lots of items via Ebay from all over the world. Use your good sense and ask questions. This will tell you about the item you are buying but also and more importantly about the person that is selling. Most of my Ebay dealings have been pleasant and good experiences. I have bought and sold many high-priced items.

I also always check their feedback. 100% with a lot of sales in the category you are buying is a good sign. Any feedback in the 99% is stil good. As soon as it drops below 97% I begin to get doubts and double check. It could be nothing but it warrants extra caution. It used to be so that many buyers did not dare to leave negative feedback because of fear for retaliation and getting negative feedback as well. This has been solved recently since sellers cannot leave negative feedback anymore, I guess we will see much more negative feedback now.

Does it mean you will never buy a lemon or something that is not in accordance with your expectations? No! This will happen once in a while. Paying with Paypal doesn't necessarily mean you are safe. Getting a refund from Paypal can be difficult and is not always rewarded. I once got ripped off with fake Sandisk cards and did not get my money refunded even without explanation from Paypal. The only way to get that fixed is to get your credit card company to retrieve your money, this will get you banned from Paypal but it might be worth it when it happens with a large transaction.

Pages: [1]   Go Up