Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Best Matte Paper For D-Max?

(1/2) > >>

JimGoshorn:
With the recent Epson printers, which matte paper(s) has the best D-Max?

Thanks!

Jim

bill t.:
Haven't worked with it for a while, but Epson Enhanced Matte (did the name change recently?) had a very good D-max using the standard Epson profiles.

However, there's more to the story...  It also did not have particularly good separation of tones in dark areas somewhat above D-max, the ability to achieve a relatively deep black was not without side effects.  There were other matte papers that had an overall better looking tonal quality in those darkish areas, in spite of a less-than-solid D-max.  You have to look at some of your images printed on various papers to know what you really want.

JimGoshorn:

--- Quote from: bill t. ---However, there's more to the story...  It also did not have particularly good separation of tones in dark areas somewhat above D-max, the ability to achieve a relatively deep black was not without side effects.  There were other matte papers that had an overall better looking tonal quality in those darkish areas, in spite of a less-than-solid D-max.  You have to look at some of your images printed on various papers to know what you really want.
--- End quote ---

Based on Wilhelm's longevity numbers, Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the tonal separation issue.

Jim

AaronPhotog:
So far in my tests, I have not found any matte paper that exceeds Epson Velvet Fine Art for dMax or for the difference between paper white and 100% black (using my Epson 3800 with its K3 pigment inks and the Quad Tone RIP Calibration page).  It has a lovely smooth response as well, with no indication of added brighteners.  I wish it were a little whiter anyway.  It's expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Aloha,
Aaron

JimGoshorn:

--- Quote from: AaronPhotog ---So far in my tests, I have not found any matte paper that exceeds Epson Velvet Fine Art for dMax or for the difference between paper white and 100% black (using my Epson 3800 with its K3 pigment inks and the Quad Tone RIP Calibration page).  It has a lovely smooth response as well, with no indication of added brighteners.  I wish it were a little whiter anyway.  It's expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestion Aaron. Just so you know though, according to Wilhelm, both Epson Velvet Fine Art and Somerset Velvet contain some OBAs. Seems like matte papers without OBAs have a brightness rating of 90 or less.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version