Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Epson 7800 maintenance tank pickle...

(1/2) > >>

Jakub:
I needed to do a power cleaning and everything went quite well until about 90% thru when the message:
"Replace maintenance tank" came up and everything came to a standstill. Now I can't finish the cleaning!
I can't replace the tank till I buy another maybe tomorrow or maybe have to mail order one. My question is will I do
any damage to the printer by leaving it on till I can replace the tank?

thanks,
Walter

bill t.:
Now that's a fine mess you've gotten yourself into!  

I've never done it, but over on the Epson Wide Format Yahoo forum there are plenty of guys who have managed to "reset" the chip on a saturated maintenance cartridge.  Don't know the how-to of it, but you can search there for an answer.  Beyond that you can have nightmares about your print heads drying up like the Sphinx, did you hear the heads "thunk" onto the parking pads?  Hopefully yes.

DougMorgan:
To reuse the waste tank is simple but a little messy.   The plastic grid over the top simply snaps off and then the saturated sponges can be thrown away.   The sponges are friction fit and will slide out once you get hold of an edge.    I used to use sponges from the hardware store that were similar to the original.   I hate to say what I use now but it's available at any drug store, comes in large packages, no man wants to be caught buying them, and has a handy adhesive strip to attach to the lining of the tank.   I just stick one to each side and the bottom.

Here's the reset procedure that I used to use for the 4000 (middle of the page)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article...nance_tank.html

I don't know if the 7600/9600 procedure will work with the 7800 but it's probably worth a try.  

With the xx80 versions of the epson printers you have to get a chip resetter which is cheaper than buying even a single waste tank from epson.  I got mine on ebay from a guy in Montreal (ebay ID=computerknow) and it works fine.

Epson is one of the LEAST green companies on earth, sorry to say, and they actively prevent owners from re-using anything by changing firmware, lawsuits against cartridge refillers, refusing to recycle etc.   Shame on them.

Good luck
Doug

Doombrain:

--- Quote from: DougMorgan ---Epson is one of the LEAST green companies on earth, sorry to say, and they actively prevent owners from re-using anything by changing firmware, lawsuits against cartridge refillers, refusing to recycle etc.   Shame on them.

Good luck
Doug
--- End quote ---

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous statement.

http://www.epson.co.uk/environment/index.htm

Re the tank. there's no way of resetting by the panel, you'll need to replace the tank.

TylerB:
a standard chip resetter for that model for both carts and tank works fine. clean it though

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version