Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flextight Neg Scan 8000 dpi...?  (Read 3094 times)

juiceboy99

Flextight Neg Scan 8000 dpi...?
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:20:22 am »

i had a 35mm neg scanned for me on an Flextight Scanner,
and they might have scanned it wrong...

the TIFF file says it is 8000 dpi and  1 inch x 1.5 inches in document size....

i have attached a Jpeg of the image size dialog box..

i just want to convert it to :  300 dpi and 11 x 14 inch...

How do i do this ??

thanks for any help !

Ailan

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:03:03 am »

Quote from: juiceboy99

How do i do this ??

thanks for any help !

Hi,

They didnt scan it wrong. They scan it at the max res for that Imacon scanner. You can resize it. But I would keep that one if I were you just in case for the future resize to other sizes from that one.

What I would do is with bicubic sharper as you have it in the image you attached, set the resolution to 300 pxiels/inch, then the longest side of the image to 14, and let the short side fall on its ratio.

hope this helps,

cheers

KeithR

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:52:08 am »

How do i do this ??

thanks for any help !

I would keep this file as a master(who ever did it, gave you a good file) and make a Duplicate to work on. Then open the dialog box you show in your example. UNCHECK RESAMPLE, then highlight resolution and type in 300 and note the size(in inches) of your file and adjust from there. If you keep resample checked and changed your deminsions, note how the file size will increase. Are you printing this yourself? If so, and depending on the printer, you may not have to be at 300ppi to get a good 11x14. Try this and let us know what you get.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

juiceboy99

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:51:52 pm »

What's the difference between checking  "Resample Image" and NOT checking "Resample Image"  ??

Quote from: KeithR
I would keep this file as a master(who ever did it, gave you a good file) and make a Duplicate to work on. Then open the dialog box you show in your example. UNCHECK RESAMPLE, then highlight resolution and type in 300 and note the size(in inches) of your file and adjust from there. If you keep resample checked and changed your deminsions, note how the file size will increase. Are you printing this yourself? If so, and depending on the printer, you may not have to be at 300ppi to get a good 11x14. Try this and let us know what you get.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:56:05 pm by juiceboy99 »

Jonathan Ratzlaff

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:56:53 pm »

What's the difference between checking  "Resample Image" and NOT checking "Resample Image"  ??

If you check the resample image you change the pixel dimensions of the image.  When you resize the image you don't need to do that.  for example the scan is 8000 px X12,000 px.  That translates to a 8000/300 = ~26 inch print.  So at 300 dpi you can make a 26 X39" print, which is fairly large.  Resizing just changes the size of the image that photoshop will print.

If you want to change the actual pixel dimension, then you resample.  Before you do that, make sure you are working from a duplicate.  In your example you would resample the image to 3300 px for an 11X14 inch print @300dpi.  

One thing you want to ensure is the maintain proportions box is checkd ( unless you want a distorted image)
Pages: [1]   Go Up