Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-cancelling exposure compensation anyone?  (Read 8534 times)

peterkaruna

Auto-cancelling exposure compensation anyone?
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:21:02 pm »

I’ve often wondered why exposure compensation can’t be set to auto cancel after the shutter releases -- say, as a custom menu option.   That way you won’t take fifteen shots with, for instance, -1.33 stops dialed in because you forgot to cancel it.  Seems like a no-brainer, especially for film users and
rapid-fire street-shooters.  If you need to have compensation dialed in for several shots, or studio use, you could just set it to not auto cancel in the custom menu.  This feature would give options for different styles of photography.

It’s understandable that people forget to cancel exposure compensation given the amount of info in the viewfinder to keep track of.  It’s not as though the compensation numbers are red or flashing or in any way distinct from other data in the viewfinder.  It’s an easy mistake to make.

Auto-canceling exposure compensation must be such a simple feature for manufacturers to implement.  I kept thinking it would happen some day.  Well, it's been long enough, so perhaps it's time to float the idea.  Is this even an issue for anyone else?

And while we're at it, how about a “sticky” AEL that doesn't cancel until the shot has been taken or when it's deliberately toggled off, instead of the camera canceling it as soon as the display times out?  

Both these controls are so important to good exposure control, yet both are so irritating to use.  Sure you can keep track of all this stuff in your head, and use three hands to hold the buttons, but why would you want to if camera software could make it hassle-free?

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 08:45:53 am »

Quote from: peterkaruna
I’ve often wondered why exposure compensation can’t be set to auto cancel after the shutter releases -- say, as a custom menu option.   That way you won’t take fifteen shots with, for instance, -1.33 stops dialed in because you forgot to cancel it.  Seems like a no-brainer, especially for film users and
rapid-fire street-shooters.  If you need to have compensation dialed in for several shots, or studio use, you could just set it to not auto cancel in the custom menu.  This feature would give options for different styles of photography.

It’s understandable that people forget to cancel exposure compensation given the amount of info in the viewfinder to keep track of.  It’s not as though the compensation numbers are red or flashing or in any way distinct from other data in the viewfinder.  It’s an easy mistake to make.

Auto-canceling exposure compensation must be such a simple feature for manufacturers to implement.  I kept thinking it would happen some day.  Well, it's been long enough, so perhaps it's time to float the idea.  Is this even an issue for anyone else?

And while we're at it, how about a “sticky” AEL that doesn't cancel until the shot has been taken or when it's deliberately toggled off, instead of the camera canceling it as soon as the display times out?  

Both these controls are so important to good exposure control, yet both are so irritating to use.  Sure you can keep track of all this stuff in your head, and use three hands to hold the buttons, but why would you want to if camera software could make it hassle-free?

The answer is to be able to program your camera on you laptop - or import other peoples settings - something I have suggested many times

ending up with you own settings,

FOOTBALL, shoot at low iso until 500 speed is dropped to then ramp up the ISO and dont hunt for focus closer than 9m or further than 35m

WATERHOUSING - dont hunt for  focus Closer than 1m dont let the shutter go above fhlash synch top, unsderexpose half stop

BACKLIT FASHION ..

Etc ect..

SMM

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:00:10 am »

You would be surprised how many photographers shoot in manual metering mode.  It makes more sense then fiddling with EC or AEL.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:11:38 am »

Quote from: Tony Beach
You would be surprised how many photographers shoot in manual metering mode.  It makes more sense then fiddling with EC or AEL.

indeed auto only really comes useful if you dont have your fingers on the camera - like in a water housing - or on a pole - and then it cant be relied upon

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

peterkaruna

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 03:31:48 pm »

Quote from: Tony Beach

No, Tony, I wouldn't be at all surprised.  I spent 30 of my 45-years in photography using manual -- starting in Fleet Street at the tender age of 16, when we had no in-board meters on our Rolleiflexes at all!  Manual is a perfectly good way to go.  In fact, I insist that all my film students begin by using manual mode, keeping in mind that meters are calibrated for 18% grey.    

However, once I grew accustomed to program, and began supplementing film photography with digital, I found street photography to be way faster in program/shift with spot metering by using AEL or exposure compensation for quick overrides.

Anyhow, putting all that aside, the manufacturers DO offer us various forms of auto exposure, so the issue is, why not tweak the software to offer auto-canceling of exposure comp, and "sticky" AEL for those who choose to use the auto modes being offered?

peter

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 04:44:49 pm »

No, Tony, I wouldn't be at all surprised.  I spent 30 of my 45-years in photography using manual -- starting in Fleet Street at the tender age of 16, when we had no in-board meters on our Rolleiflexes at all!  Manual is a perfectly good way to go.  In fact, I insist that all my film students begin by using manual mode, keeping in mind that meters are calibrated for 18% grey.
Not all of them are calibrated to 18% gray; I think my D300 is closer to 12%.

However, once I grew accustomed to program, and began supplementing film photography with digital, I found street photography to be way faster in program/shift with spot metering by using AEL or exposure compensation for quick overrides.
With Nikon there are many limitations to using Program mode; it doesn't allow certain aperture/shutter speed combinations -- particularly when using flash; I cannot say what (if any) limitations other systems have using Program mode.

Anyhow, putting all that aside, the manufacturers DO offer us various forms of auto exposure, so the issue is, why not tweak the software to offer auto-canceling of exposure comp, and "sticky" AEL for those who choose to use the auto modes being offered?
One possible answer is UI overload.  Currently, the first thing support tells someone when they're having a problem with their camera is to reset it and erase all the changed settings.  Every time you introduce a new feature, you introduce new ways for people to screw things up.

Gary Brown

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 05:01:36 pm »

Nikon has a variant of that in some models. For example, on the D300, there's an "Easy Exposure Compensation" setting that can be set to "On (auto reset)."

In that mode, you can adjust exposure compensation with one of the command dials (without holding the +/- button), and it will automatically reset to 0 after a timeout. Alternatively, in that mode, you can still adjust exposure compensation by holding the +/- button, in which case it's sticky; thus, you can have it both ways.

peterkaruna

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 05:28:35 pm »

Quote from: Gary Brown
Nikon has a variant of that in some models. For example, on the D300, there's an "Easy Exposure Compensation" setting that can be set to "On (auto reset)."

In that mode, you can adjust exposure compensation with one of the command dials (without holding the +/- button), and it will automatically reset to 0 after a timeout. Alternatively, in that mode, you can still adjust exposure compensation by holding the +/- button, in which case it's sticky; thus, you can have it both ways.

Hi Gary,

I've not handled the D300 much except for students asking basic questions about it.  I was unaware that the "Easy exp comp" setting was self-canceling.  Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, it might help someone.  Does it interfere with using program shift?  That is, does that setting take over the dial functions, so you can no longer shift shutter and or aperture to suit your subject?  If not, it sounds like it might do the trick.

peter

Gary Brown

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 06:05:50 pm »

Does it interfere with using program shift?  That is, does that setting take over the dial functions, so you can no longer shift shutter and or aperture to suit your subject?  If not, it sounds like it might do the trick.
Program shift should still work; in P mode the "easy exposure compensation" feature uses the sub-command dial, while the main command dial has the program-shift function.

peterkaruna

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 07:42:29 pm »

Quote from: Gary Brown
Program shift should still work; in P mode the "easy exposure compensation" feature uses the sub-command dial, while the main command dial has the program-shift function.

Well, that's an improvement.  It's the only camera I've heard of that comes close to dealing with the issue in a fairly convenient way.  It's just a short step from that to having it auto-cancel in regular Program mode on shutter release.  My personal preference would be for both exp comp and AEL to stay on until toggled off, or upon shutter release.  Frankly, if I need a fixed exposure for multiple shots, I'll usually switch to Manual.

Thanks for that information.  Makes me feel there's hope yet.

peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up